• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ben - at the bridge 14th October 2017 - a year on.

Craig 1965

Warren Veteran
The reason I found and joined this forum, was because of Ben, our much loved and extremely special Harlequin rescure rabbit.
This is Ben
SQ9TI1W.jpg
[/IMG]

Several years ago, we went to find a new hus-bun for Georgina who has lost her then husbun, Sam. Georgina took the loss hard and we wanted to find and bond a new bunny with her. Someone who she would feel safe and comfortable with. I will never forget the day we found Ben. We looked round the rescue centre rabbits - I would have taken all of them if I could. They all looked in need of a new life. Some had noses up to the front of the hutches and one, one rabbit sat on the ground floor of the hutch facing away from me. To this day, I cannot tell you what drew me to him. I couldn't even see what he looked like. But my heart was drawn to him for reasons I cannot say, but I know everyone who has found that special rabbit, knows. We were handed Ben and he just felt comfortable in my arms. It was as if he was connecting with me. Some rabbits feel nervous and you can tell. But Ben - Ben was very relaxed. He just felt the right rabbit. And I know we all chose rabbits in different ways. But Ben was different. He also looked very sombre - as if everyone had rejected him. Everyone bypassed Ben and he had given up on Hoomans.
We took him home and he made himself at home in the hutch, whilst Georgina was indoors. Ben got used to the surroundings, our garden at the time. And he also discovered Georgina and they bonded extremely quickly - far quicker than perhaps many people would recommend. But the bond was so special and so meaningful. It was more than a bond - it was a very special love. This is Ben and Georgina within hours of them bonding...
BZMtd3F.jpg
[/IMG]
sK5vqf4.jpg
[/IMG]

The were inseperable. Yet both had their own space, neither lived in each others pocket. But they were never far from each other. Ben had his favorite spots in the garden, and so did Georgina. But they also shared their lives.
But Ben also loved people. He loved any attention and has always confident when he was curious. He trusted us very quickly. I have never to this day, seen a trust directed from a rabbit towards us. It's almost as if Ben realised that the environment and home we were providing for him, was what he had wanted.
We knew nothing of Ben's past, how he ended up as a rescue or how old he was. But that didn't matter. Ben was loved as much as any one is or has been loved in our family. Ben was a part of our family in the same way Georgina was but whereas Georgina kept a degree of independance, Ben thrived and thrived on our companionship and our love.
Food time was fun with Ben and Georgina. Georgina would dump her paws in the food bowl to stop Ben scoffing the lot. But Ben didn't mind. He knew he would get his share. Ben developed a routine at bedtime. And he knew his name. He would come to the hutch at bedtime and dash up the ramp to the top tier whilst Georgina stayed downstairs. Ben knew bedtime was a special time for him. He had a nightly carrot in the cage bars, a mineral lick stone and a few dried cranberries all ready for him. And his bedtime routine began with a face massage from me. Gentle nose and eye rubs one way, then the other. He loved it. And then he would reciprocate by giving me a full face lick. He was relaxed and when the time came to close the hutch door, he munched on the carrot and licked his mineral stone. He was contented.
1519rFC.jpg
[/IMG]
Ben never needed to see a vet except to get his booster jabs. He was, as far as I know, a healthy and very happy bunny. And he loved life. His life was the one he deserved with his soul mate - Georgina. Our house was their home and Ben played a huge part in that.
We moved house and Ben and Georgina settled quickly into our new home, despite the sounds from the railway line and main road near our house. They both loved the garden and found special places to sit in the sunshine or shelter from the wind and rain. Ben had 2 very special spots where he could always be found. Not too hot, not too cold, but just right - just right for Ben. He could watch the world from the sanctuary and feel safe yet comfortable.
Ben became my confident - I spent hours talking to him because he liked to be near people. He went out of his way to find you. And Ben became a huge part of me because he was just so special.
Then, last September, his beloved Georgina had to say goodbye. And Ben sat right by her side, as she watched the sunset on that evening, and she quietly slipped away from us, from Ben. He lay there, protecting, guarding her. Deep inside, he knew she had gone. Ben was lost without Georgina. The hutch seemed empty and Ben couldn't understand why. We knew we had to find another partner to help Ben - he didn't deserve to end up on his own. He was a rabbot who needed companionship.
So we tried to find Ben a new partner and we got Lillian. All seemed well during the first bond but by the second day, they had a big fight and we had to seperate them. This was traumatic for us, but deeply traumatic for Ben who was grieving badly. And not forgetting Lillian who, as we were to find out, had much deeper traumas and pain inside her. But for Ben, this was hard. Painful. We hoped we could try to re-bond Ben and Lillian with a gradual re-introduction but something was just not right with the pairing. As much as Ben was a deeply loving and caring special rabbit, Lillian was not ready.
Ben spent 2 more weeks with us, enjoying life but being solo. And then, one saturday morning, exactly a year ago to this date, I opened up the hutch and I knew something was seriously wrong. My Ben was in a serious state. He was uninterested and almost lifeless. He was dying. We rushed him to the vet - it would be the last car journey he would make with us. And as we watched, on the vets table in the consultation room, Ben slipped away from us. I was shocked even thoughdeep down I knew he was slipping away from us.
Shock is a strange thing even when you know the result. I sobbed. I sobbed and I sobbed. My dear sweet Ben had gone and all there was left was his furry body. For whatever reasons that I don't pretend to understand, Ben had to go to the bridge and finally be reunited with Georgina. His heart was broken and mine has been since that day. Not a day passes that I do not shed a tissue worth of tears for Ben. Every story I read from friends on here who have lost their pets, their special rabbits, every one of them brings me to tears and I share the same pain they do.
We burried Ben right next to Georgina - it was only fitting that he was laid to rest next to the rabbit he loved and spent the years with. I carry the scar on my ankle where my foot slipped on the shovel and the wound was deep. But that is a small price I pay for giving Ben the place of rest he deserved. It just didn't seem right that Ben was gone. I cannot find words to express the sorrow I felt and still feel for him not being there. I do not understand why our loved pets leave us and the pain is so deep. He took a huge part of my heart with him - a part that cannot be replaced. And I don't understand all this.
My friends on the forum have helped me so much over the last 12 months - with support and kind words and advice. Life has moved on and we have 'Hillian' and we do love them. But they are not Ben and Georgina, and that cannot be replaced.
My friends on here have been wonderful and I know that you have all had that special pet, that special rabbit who, when they leave us, take with them a huge part of us. That pain cannot be described - it can only be felt by the individual. But we know. We all do.
I miss Ben each and every single day of my life and I will miss him for the rest of my life. Thank you Ben for allowing us to be a part of your life as much as you were a huge part of ours.
95LmjDZ.jpg
[/IMG]
Craig xxx

What a handsome fella Ben was. He obviously became a very important member of your family and I am sure he will always remain within your heart xx

What a lovely tribute :love: he was a very special rabbit and I’m not surprised you miss him so much :cry: it is so very sad to lose such a special rabbit, and you are right, they can never be replaced. They leave such special and happy memories of the time you have spent together, it is such a fantastic thing to have shared such an amazing bond with a soul rabbit:love: it’s terribly sad that the time shared has to come to an end and is never long enough.

Thinking of you as you remember your special friends xx

What a beautiful tribute to beautiful Ben, it moved me to tears. Ben and Georgina were truely loved. The picture of him getting a face massage so lovely. Their loss is so unfair. I understand Craig I too shed "a tissue of tears" for my buns most days. The pain of their loss is something I don't think I will ever get over. Thinking of you as you remember your loss of your much loved buns.

Last edited:
Craig thank you for posting this incredible tribute to a very special bunny.

Ben is always with you, and he's also taken a piece of your heart with him, so you are always with him xx

:love: Ben the beautiful bear bunny. Absolutely gorgeous inside & out, I can see why he stole your heart. Thinking of you all today xx

What a beautiful tribute to your special bunny, Ben, it has brought tears to my eyes. Sometimes we only have that "once in a lifetime" bond, and it's something we treasure forever, Ben obviously chose well when he picked you xxxx

Thank you everyone for making a post and thinking of Ben today. I apologise for making some of you cry - believe me it took me over an hour to write the tribute because I was just sobbing my heart out. It means alot knowing that others understand how the loss feels.
Thank you so much again
Craig x

Ben was so very special and so very beautiful, inside and out. I think he knew you chose him for a reason, and that in this year of hi-jinks with Hillian, he and Georgina have been watching over you. Hillian can't - and won't replace him as each rabbit carves their own niche in our heart. Some help to lessen the immediate pain of losing a beloved one and each finds its way to us for a reason.

Your enduring love for him shines in every word.

Sending you lots of love. xxx

I feel very sad that you are feeling sad today Craig. Ben is a lovely bunny. You have good taste in bunnies - so tiggery!

I don't like my bunny friends feeling upset and hurt as I know exactly what your feeling.

I hope Hillian are being extra lovely for you today and also they are receiving your nommy cranberries in return.

All my love and hugs to you and your family xxxx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

xxx

thanks for posting this, Craig.
The pics are wonderful & a beautiful tribute to Ben.

Last edited:
Back