• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

URGENT - myxi in wild rabbit

Angie B

Wise Old Thumper
Daughter's found a rabbit with myxi, picked it up in her coat and took it to the vet, it's now PTS.

We have rabbits. They had their combi myxi/RHD on 21st September.

What now?

What do I do?

It has to be reported, I know, how?

And what happens to Niamh's clothes when she comes in? And her boots?

Thanks in advance.

I am no expert on this, but until one comes along I'll give you my view :) We have had this situation in the garden before and my OH has always done the picking up and carrying, but he will I think have been a lot more careful about transfering any disease than your daughter and will not have wrapped the animal up in his clothing.

I would be concerned, but only slightly so. Your rabbits are vaccinated, which should protect them. Myx is transferred by vectors (mozzies etc) and also by transfer of bodily fluid from one rabbit to another. Just as an example, when Yan, a vaccinated rabbit caught nodular Myx, I did not separate him from his family. I took the view that the benefit to him outweighed any risk to the others.

I can see no problem with your daughter's boots. Regarding her clothing, including the coat, I would simply get her to take them off and wash them.

I don't know who it should be reported to, I'm sorry, but it's probably in one of the "stickys".

Daughter's found a rabbit with myxi, picked it up in her coat and took it to the vet, it's now PTS.

We have rabbits. They had their combi myxi/RHD on 21st September.

What now?

What do I do?

It has to be reported, I know, how?

And what happens to Niamh's clothes when she comes in? And her boots?

Thanks in advance.

Angie, sorry I have only just come in.

The virus can also be spread directly from rabbit to rabbit, and indirectly through contaminated food bowls, drinkers and bedding etc. As soon as primary infection is suspected, the affected animal should be isolated and the entirety of its housing and items should be disposed of immediately. If your clothes have come into contact with an infected rabbit through handling, these should be washed or disposed of before you handle again. Unaffected rabbits should be moved onto new grazing following an outbreak and any remaining food on the ground should be cleared up promptly.

https://www.viovet.co.uk/knowledgebase/a216-Myxomatosis-Awareness

Not quite the advice you need, but interesting viewpoint on Myxi all the same:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?252635-Can-a-hutch-be-used-again-after-myxi

I am no expert on this, but until one comes along I'll give you my view :) We have had this situation in the garden before and my OH has always done the picking up and carrying, but he will I think have been a lot more careful about transfering any disease than your daughter and will not have wrapped the animal up in his clothing.

I would be concerned, but only slightly so. Your rabbits are vaccinated, which should protect them. Myx is transferred by vectors (mozzies etc) and also by transfer of bodily fluid from one rabbit to another. Just as an example, when Yan, a vaccinated rabbit caught nodular Myx, I did not separate him from his family. I took the view that the benefit to him outweighed any risk to the others.

I can see no problem with your daughter's boots. Regarding her clothing, including the coat, I would simply get her to take them off and wash them.

I don't know who it should be reported to, I'm sorry, but it's probably in one of the "stickys".

Thank you very much for getting back to me :).

My husband told me not to over-react, saying "we might as well burn her at the stake at the bottom of the garden, calm down" :lol:

Yes, Adrian said to just wash everything as well, so I can stop panicking now!

I found the RWAF site and email address so contacted them direct, never thought of a sticky on here!

Thanks again! :)

I agree :)

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I would be tempted to ask the vet about the virus life. I wish I knew more about it to help you but my own view would be quite drastic - purely because I've read alot about some viuses and they're all different. The problem is the transmission factor and as far as the boots go, I would be tempted, if possible, to bleach them - wash or soak in bleach if this iwas an option? The coat - I'd wash asap in as hot a wash as you dare. Scrub as much as you can down with any antibacterial stuff you can find. But seek the advice of the vet for more definitive guidance. He or she should know the properties of the virus and the transmission factors.

Angie, sorry I have only just come in.

The virus can also be spread directly from rabbit to rabbit, and indirectly through contaminated food bowls, drinkers and bedding etc. As soon as primary infection is suspected, the affected animal should be isolated and the entirety of its housing and items should be disposed of immediately. If your clothes have come into contact with an infected rabbit through handling, these should be washed or disposed of before you handle again. Unaffected rabbits should be moved onto new grazing following an outbreak and any remaining food on the ground should be cleared up promptly.

https://www.viovet.co.uk/knowledgebase/a216-Myxomatosis-Awareness

Thank you for replying, MM :).

Niamh was well away from the house where she found the bunny, in another town in fact, so the disease although uncomfortably close is still about 5 miles away (still too close but not in the next field ... yet). So I've calmed down now (!) and will just wash her coat when she comes home later and shoo her into the shower and bung everything into the washer as well. It was just her coat that came into contact with the poor bun so her clothes should be fine, it's just a precaution.

Poor kid finding the bun but I'm glad she did though and knew what to do rather than just left it there to suffer, or get attacked, so good on her for wrapping it up and taking it to the vet to put the poor little thing out of its misery. RIP little Windsong (she named it!).

I would be tempted to ask the vet about the virus life. I wish I knew more about it to help you but my own view would be quite drastic - purely because I've read alot about some viuses and they're all different. The problem is the transmission factor and as far as the boots go, I would be tempted, if possible, to bleach them - wash or soak in bleach if this iwas an option? The coat - I'd wash asap in as hot a wash as you dare. Scrub as much as you can down with any antibacterial stuff you can find. But seek the advice of the vet for more definitive guidance. He or she should know the properties of the virus and the transmission factors.

Good idea asking the vet, thanks. Can't wash/bleach the boots, they're fake fur.

What Omi said, plus as an extra precaution I'd treat the girls for fleas/mites. The Bunnies I mean, not Niamh !

Myxo is not a notifiable Disease. You dont have to report it to anyone. There is a FB Page that tracks Myxo outbreaks, but you may not be on FB

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MyxomatosismapfortheUK/

Thank you for replying, MM :).

Niamh was well away from the house where she found the bunny, in another town in fact, so the disease although uncomfortably close is still about 5 miles away (still too close but not in the next field ... yet). So I've calmed down now (!) and will just wash her coat when she comes home later and shoo her into the shower and bung everything into the washer as well. It was just her coat that came into contact with the poor bun so her clothes should be fine, it's just a precaution.

Poor kid finding the bun but I'm glad she did though and knew what to do rather than just left it there to suffer, or get attacked, so good on her for wrapping it up and taking it to the vet to put the poor little thing out of its misery. RIP little Windsong (she named it!).

RIP little Windsong x

It's good to take precautions, as even vaccinated buns can get myxi, as you know, and you don't need any more stuff going on!!

Thank you for the FB link JJ, I've applied to join the page.

I didn't know it wasn't a notifiable disease, I thought it would have been? Oh well, they know now - just another junk email for them to delete then :lol:

One other thing - just thinking out loud - but if you had access to one of those steamers - you could try steaming the boots and clothes. Steam is a very good way of destrying viruses on external things.

Thank you for the FB link JJ, I've applied to join the page.

I didn't know it wasn't a notifiable disease, I thought it would have been? Oh well, they know now - just another junk email for them to delete then :lol:

Apparently Myxomatosis is on the list of diseases notifiable to the World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE)

https://www.cabi.org/isc/datasheet/73879

It isn't listed here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/notifiable-diseases-in-animals

But they state that their list isn't comprehensive and doesn't include all diseases.

I always think it does no harm to notify - better than not doing so :)

One other thing - just thinking out loud - but if you had access to one of those steamers - you could try steaming the boots and clothes. Steam is a very good way of destrying viruses on external things.

I don't have a steamer, but thank you.

Clothes are now in the wash. Boots ... can't do anything with the boots. But we could be walking where poorly bunnies could be hopping anyway and not know - sounds like we already are/have to be honest.

Apparently Myxomatosis is on the list of diseases notifiable to the World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE)

https://www.cabi.org/isc/datasheet/73879

It isn't listed here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/notifiable-diseases-in-animals

But they state that their list isn't comprehensive and doesn't include all diseases.

I always think it does no harm to notify - better than not doing so :)

Thank you, MM. The RWAF will find it eventually in their emails, and I've put it on the FB thingy that JJ gave me the link for as well, so word will get out. I think there are cases of RVHD2 in Redcar as well - the 2 diseases probably go hand in hand, which is a bit sad really. Poor wild bunnies don't have much luck do they? :cry:

Thank you, MM. The RWAF will find it eventually in their emails, and I've put it on the FB thingy that JJ gave me the link for as well, so word will get out. I think there are cases of RVHD2 in Redcar as well - the 2 diseases probably go hand in hand, which is a bit sad really. Poor wild bunnies don't have much luck do they? :cry:

No they don't :(

Back