• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP: Worried about milky red 'urine' in Rabbit cage

mar123

New Kit
I found a part milky, and part red liquid situated in the corner of the hutch where my rabbit likes to pee. I'm worried the red is indicative of a bad diet, maybe even blood. I think the slightly milky part may be due to an excess of calcium in my rabbit's diet, but again am not too sure. I would really like some reassurance on what the liquid is, I'm heavily considering taking him to the vet & would like some confirmation beforehand.

Here's a blurry picture of said liquid:
PCyKAU1.jpg

My rabbit's diet as of late:
Lots of hay, pellets (honeyed). Some grapes/apples/rabbit treats, some almonds (which im concerned about), and moringa leaves. He also is constantly licking the floor and eats anything he can get into his mouth. Im worried he's eaten something I haven't given him, which has caused the red looking liquid in the hutch.
We also gave him a walnut this morning.

Any help would be much appreciated

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the forum :wave:

Sadly, no photo was attached to your post.

Be aware that whatever the rabbit ingests will affect the colour of output, both wee and poop. Wee can be anything from clear, to cream, to blood like - but it won't necessarily be blood, just red and look like it, to anything in between.

Rabbits can eat almonds but they do contain salt so aren't particularly recommended - if you are unsure as to what your bun can/can't eat, a quick Google will usually help (like I just did about the almonds https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=r.....69i57j0l5.5183j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8)

Please don't feed your rabbits honeyed pellets - honey is like sugar coating everything and bad for their teeth, like us eating too much sugar/chocolate), just buy plain ones. Manufacturers coat things in honey and charge extra - they're not good for rabbits, nor your purse, but they are good for the manufacturer's pocket. Feed them to the ducks instead, they'll like them!

You really shouldn't feed your rabbits walnuts, they can cause indigestion problems, so please refrain from that. They are also very high in fat which again is bad for your bunny - again, a quick Google revealed this; https://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz...0i22i10i30k1j0i13k1j0i13i5i30k1.0.ABH2tQ8IrpY

You need this link and click on the various links contained therein as it has a lot of very good information on what to give to your bunny.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-diet/

The RWAF is a good thing to Google as well, there's various pages on it for you to research once you've accessed the site/s for lots of information on food etc, and health, which you may find interesting and useful :).

Or of course, as you have done, you can ask on here :).

One thing I must point out of course, NO-ONE on this forum is a vet, or a vet nurse. We have only learned by experience. If you are at all worried about your rabbit and his/her wee colour then you MUST taken him/her to a vet immediately for a proper examination and the relevant medication.

Good luck :)

Thank you so so much for the info! I really appreciate it, and will try my best to implement all the should-do's. I've edited the post with the photo is you're interested. My rabbit's being his energetic self, so I'm glad to know the colour isn't because he's ill. I'll keep an eye on his health regardless, thanks again though!

My rabbit's was that colour, turns out it was blood but several tests and xrays later couldn't find the cause.

However, I do suggest that as it's in an easily accessible corner you get an oral syringe to suck some up, as much as you can, and take it to your vet so they can test it, see if there's any blood in it, and go from there.

Thanks again angie, I think I may just get him checked. It's always better to be safe than sorry & a consultation would be great for getting my rabbit on a better, more personalised diet. I really appreciate all the help:love:

hi there

I am not sure if it would be the case of the urine, however your bunnies current diet is not ideal. I am not looking to criticize, but I think you should consider changing it to avoid any health issues that could arise in the nearby future, whether that be dental disease, diabetes or the risk of becoming obese.

pellet on its own its more considered a treat, many rabbits get a tablespoon per KG of body weight. they shouldn't be having a lot of pellet. they do not need anything added to them, and you shouldn't be giving them honey on top. such larges amount of sugar could lead to the onset of diabetes, which often a bad diet does.

what pellet is your bunny on? the best ones out there are Burgess Excel and Science selective, they have the highest fiber content and aren't extruded (forced out quickly) so they keep their nutrients. they do not have any additives either, as many other pellet brands have additives such as honey and extra sugar. these are not good for any rabbit.

fruit has a lot of sugar in it, so it shouldn't be fed too often. I often advise one inch piece of fruit or carrot (also high in sugar) per week, and that is it. the problem is is that they may become too reliant on treats and refuse hay, which is a huge problem. they need lots of hay to keep their back teeth down, or they become overgrown and it requires surgery to fix it. mine instead often get a piece or two of pellet as a treat, much healthier, or I bake my own :)

nuts are not ideal either, they are high in fat. in the wild rabbits would not be getting a hold of nuts at all. I wouldn't suggest feeding them, even as a treat, as just because something can be fed doesn't mean it is good for them. walnuts are very very high in fat, and almonds high in salt. neither of these are good for a bunny.

if you want healthy treats, try getting some forage from pets at home, baking your own, or instead using some pellet. when used sparingly, pellet should be considered a treat anyhow. hay should be 80% of their diet, pellet 5%, treats 5%, and 10% fresh veggies/forage.

apologies, angies post didn't show up for me so I have echo'd a lot of what hers said!! :)

Back