• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Supreme Selective

tonibun

Wise Old Thumper
Just saw this advertised over on FB and it sounds pretty good. Has anyone tried it? It is grain-free ie no wheat.

the whole grain free thing is a fad for rabbits, it actually offers no benefits. they actually said the only reason they added it was because people kept pestering for it. its really just a marketing ploy (somewhat like the indoor rabbit from burgess) catching on from grain free dog/cat food, which is a whole other different matter. wheat is completely fine for rabbits and I haven't ever heard of a rabbit having issues with wheat. there isn't any need for it, but people will buy it anyway.

its the same for "beneficial fibre" - all fibre for rabbits is beneficial fibre so thats just a marketing ploy too.

this is the normal ingredients:
Alfalfa meal, soybean hulls, wheat, wheat feed, flaked peas, linseed, beet pulp, soybean meal, soya oil, monocalcium phosphate, salt, calcium carbonate.

this is the wheat free:
Timothy hay, soya bean hulls, pea flour, flaked peas, ground soya bean meal, ground dried locust beans, whole brown linseeds, soya bean oil, calcium carbonate, hydrolysed yeast, Yucca extract.

IMHO to replace the wheat they've added a lot of other garbage in it that actually isn't needed. the normal/original one is far healthier as its just plain pellet without any other extra garbage in it.

the reason why burgess and the original SS pellet is ranked so highly is because it isn't extruded pellet (forced out), all other pellets on the market I do believe are extruded. they lose a lot of nutrients. burgess and SS pellet aren't extruded, so they keep a lot of their nutritional value.

in regards to the analytical contents, they're very much the same. slightly less crude fibre and crude ash content. vitamins is a mixed bag, the grain free is higher in others but lower in some others. but its all very much of a muchness.

its also more expensive (via P@H) per KG than the original version, and especially if you're buying in bulk. it only comes in 1.5kg at 4.49 (2.99/kg), the original comes at 2kg costing 5.49 (2.75/kg). its not a huge amount from the smaller amounts, but buying in bulk is cheaper which you miss out on.

TL;DR: to make up for the wheat it has plenty more ingredients in (that could be more liable to upset tummies, simpler is always better), and its more expensive. I would just stick with the original one, as there really isn't any or much point using a grain free. its a marketing ploy, and they only added it due to people requesting it so much, not really knowing the difference.

the whole grain free thing is a fad for rabbits, it actually offers no benefits. they actually said the only reason they added it was because people kept pestering for it. its really just a marketing ploy (somewhat like the indoor rabbit from burgess) catching on from grain free dog/cat food, which is a whole other different matter. wheat is completely fine for rabbits and I haven't ever heard of a rabbit having issues with wheat. there isn't any need for it, but people will buy it anyway.

its the same for "beneficial fibre" - all fibre for rabbits is beneficial fibre so thats just a marketing ploy too.

Alfalfa meal, soybean hulls, wheat, wheat feed, flaked peas, linseed, beet pulp, soybean meal, soya oil, monocalcium phosphate, salt, calcium carbonate.

this is the wheat free:
Timothy hay, soya bean hulls, pea flour, flaked peas, ground soya bean meal, ground dried locust beans, whole brown linseeds, soya bean oil, calcium carbonate, hydrolysed yeast, Yucca extract.

IMHO to replace the wheat they've added a lot of other garbage in it that actually isn't needed. the normal/original one is far healthier as its just plain pellet without any other extra garbage in it.

the reason why burgess and the original SS pellet is ranked so highly is because it isn't extruded pellet (forced out), all other pellets on the market I do believe are extruded. they lose a lot of nutrients. burgess and SS pellet aren't extruded, so they keep a lot of their nutritional value.

in regards to the analytical contents, they're very much the same. slightly less crude fibre and crude ash content. vitamins is a mixed bag, the grain free is higher in others but lower in some others. but its all very much of a muchness.

its also more expensive (via P@H) per KG than the original version, and especially if you're buying in bulk. it only comes in 1.5kg at 4.49 (2.99/kg), the original comes at 2kg costing 5.49 (2.75/kg). its not a huge amount from the smaller amounts, but buying in bulk is cheaper which you miss out on.

TL;DR: to make up for the wheat it has plenty more ingredients in (that could be more liable to upset tummies, simpler is always better), and its more expensive. I would just stick with the original one, as there really isn't any or much point using a grain free. its a marketing ploy, and they only added it due to people requesting it so much, not really knowing the difference.
I'm sure you're right, Idk about any of that tbh, I don't like ss because of pellets size, I get so worried about choking :( but Atticus really loves that food, and as he is limited with noms I buy it for him - hasn't caused any upset to his extremely delicate tummy tho!

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

this is the wheat free:

Just to clarify, Excel and Selective are both extruded. Vitamins and minerals are fortified and stabilised to ensure they are at the correct levels for bunnies' requirements and the extrusion process makes the food much more palatable and easier to digest.

Back