• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

We have an old house rabbit, could we get a second?

bennymass

New Kit
Hello.

We have an 11 year old German Lop rabbit called Rocky. She's a full on house rabbit, litter trained and completely free roaming around our flat.
She has always lived on her own and since I've had her hasn't even met another rabbit. We are wondering whether we could or should get a second rabbit to keep her company?
What are people's experiences or introducing a younger rabbit to an older one? Is there a risk of it stressing out Rocky?

Appreciate the advice

Ben

photo.php

Hello and welcome. Personally I would leave her as she is now. She is possibly set in her ways, like me, and having to share with another might be too stressful. What breed is your bunny and have you had her from a baby?

Hello.

We have an 11 year old German Lop rabbit called Rocky. She's a full on house rabbit, litter trained and completely free roaming around our flat.
She has always lived on her own and since I've had her hasn't even met another rabbit. We are wondering whether we could or should get a second rabbit to keep her company?
What are people's experiences or introducing a younger rabbit to an older one? Is there a risk of it stressing out Rocky?

Appreciate the advice

Ben

photo.php

Hi there and welcome to the Forum :wave:

Why do you feel she might want a companion now?

Bonding of itself is always stressful (and for the human too!) but age is no deterrent to bonding, if you have the right rabbit.
The oldest rabbit I bonded was over 13 years old, to another rabbit about a third the age :)

Wise words from tonibun and MightyMax……… much depends on the bunny and the reason for thinking of getting her a partner.

Back