• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit safe fabrics?

So, as I have said a few times, I am a tailor and costumier, and I work with fabric pretty much every day of my life. I would love to make things which as rabbit safe/useful and fun, but I don;t know what fabrics are safe for buns. At the moment my boys have fleecey blankets from Primark which are machine washable and dry quickly on my radiators (I don;t have a tumble dryer). If I wanted to make these into beds/doughnuts etc, what stuffing is safe? Baby/toy grade? Or something else? What other fabric things can I make them? I made a rabbit utility bag to take with me when they go out to the vets to carry a pee pad, treats, dry food, a bit of hay, a collapsible bowl etc (handy for emergency visits).

You're going to have the most stylish bunnies in town. I've noticed mine like cotton best but will happily lie on fleece, towels & (currently) an old school car blankey - they look good against tartan ;) I don't know about stuffing but my instincts tell me the safest would probably be scraps of old clothing rather than foam, polyester etc

I don't think any fabric is really safe for rabbits... Because if ingested it'll cause a load of issues...

I think fabric is only 'safe' if your buns aren't destructive or don't chew the fabric personally :) in which case you could use most things as they wouldnt ingest it anyway

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

So it looks like the other person who used to make the bed mats for rabbits was using polar fleece and baby safe wadding, so I am going to assume this is safe! I would be MORE THAN happy to make bed mats for other peoples buns! I'l try and whip up a couple for my lads first to get the dimensions right and check how they wash, and then when I have a formula I am happy with, I will offer them for sale. Mods, if you can advise on how to go about this, I would be very grateful.

So it looks like the other person who used to make the bed mats for rabbits was using polar fleece and baby safe wadding, so I am going to assume this is safe! I would be MORE THAN happy to make bed mats for other peoples buns! I'l try and whip up a couple for my lads first to get the dimensions right and check how they wash, and then when I have a formula I am happy with, I will offer them for sale. Mods, if you can advise on how to go about this, I would be very grateful.

Look forward to this

If it's just a straightforward sale, you would need to become a Forum Supporter to be able to post in the For Sale section. More details are in this thread. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?122725-How-to-Post-(inc-Rules)

If there's an element of fundraising (and I only mention this since the previous thread you were looking at was a fundraiser, so I'm not sure if that's what you had in mind) then you would need to advise the rescue that you are fundraising on their behalf. The donation amount is up to you - the previous thread was a full donation of purchase price less actual costs of materials so something like that would need to be run past the mod team first by posting in the fundraising section for approval. But, if it's just a small donation per item, that would be ok to post in For Sale (fundraising section) directly by yourself.

Any further questions, please shout or feel free to PM me. :wave:

polar fleece/anti pill is the best. it doesn't get little fabric balls and if chewed, it doesn't unravel or get tatty ends. no fabric is safe as if ingested it would cause blockages, but polar/antipill is the best.

Cool, any profits would go to Hope Animal Rescue, we have a shop here in Pontypridd and I donate there weekly :) I have a big comic book convention coming up in 10 days so I'm hyper busy, but I will have time between November until March to experiment!

Back