• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Which syringe should I use?

Nicole Mok

Young Bun
Hi, I need to syringe feed three times a day to my rabbits with kidney failure😔 I have been using 2.5ml one which is the right size to get into her mouth, but I have to feed her about 20ml in one go, so I have to prepare 8 syringes. That's not a problem, but due to the mashed nugget is very sticky, so it's very difficult to get the nugget in by suction...

anyone has better suggestion which type of syringe I should use?

Thank you

supreme science do recovery syringes, I've always used them. they're 15, 20ml? I'm not sure, but they have a long nozzle and a wide barrel which make them excellent for syringe feeding! :)

here is a pack of ten, I always make sure to have extra as sometimes they chew them, or they get damaged, so you'll want to throw out any damaged ones and replace them so no sharp bits hurt their mouth. https://www.viovet.co.uk/Supreme-Re...MIxNvwpq3_3QIVFuR3Ch0NvgfWEAQYASABEgJmL_D_BwE

your local vet may also have some in..ask them if they have any syringes ideal for feeding critical care, something like the above would work and most gets usually have it in. might not be the same brand but brand isn't important ofc, just the shape of it :)

I’m sorry your bun is poorly [emoji17]

I agree about the supreme 15ml syringes. I use them when I have to syringe feed my buns. As well as the bigger volume capacity, you can get a thicker mixture through them so less chance of it getting dribbled out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate the 15 ml supreme syringes, I bought 50ml ones on amazon big pack cheaply, found them much better tbh :)

But in a pinch any syringe can be used I just cut the tip off to make it wider

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Hi, I need to syringe feed three times a day to my rabbits with kidney failure😔 I have been using 2.5ml one which is the right size to get into her mouth, but I have to feed her about 20ml in one go, so I have to prepare 8 syringes. That's not a problem, but due to the mashed nugget is very sticky, so it's very difficult to get the nugget in by suction...

anyone has better suggestion which type of syringe I should use?

Thank you

As BinkyCodie says, those bigger syringes are useful :)

I have them, but personally I don't like them!

I only ever use 1 ml syringes, and just pull up the food as I go, even if that's 40 times per feed :shock:

Thank you. The biggest problem is I tried to get the nugget from the top (already cut the tip) by suction, but it got air in it which makes it so difficult to get a full syringe. I have tried pulling it slowly but still not working well. Do you do it from the top by suction or put the mashed nugget from the bottom?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thank you. The biggest problem is I tried to get the nugget from the top (already cut the tip) by suction, but it got air in it which makes it so difficult to get a full syringe. I have tried pulling it slowly but still not working well. Do you do it from the top by suction or put the mashed nugget from the bottom?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Uhh I'm not too sure what you mean, sorry

What I do is I make the crital care or mashed up pellets into a smash like consistency in a little ramekin, then I draw it up into whatever syringe I'm using - hope this helps and answers your question :)

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I find that soaking the nuggets in boiling water for a while (until coolish) makes them much easier to mash. Add extra water and a bit of fruit or veg puree to give it a bit of lubrication in the syringe. Everything gets sucked up into the syringe - if it won't go in, it won't get out, either - so filling from the top won't help.

If you get a lot of air in the syringe, you can turn it upside down (tip pointing up) and give it a couple of sharp sideways shakes so the bubble goes to the tip and you can squeeze it out. If it is happening a lot, try adding a bit more water or puree to the mix so it flows better.

The Supreme syringes are quite good as long as you don't let the rabbit chew on the nozzle. I didn't know you could get them separately - that link is really useful. Otherwise, use a 5ml / 10ml / 20ml syringe, or try a plastic (baby type) teaspoon if they are eating reasonably well (you can't really force feed from a teaspoon).

yeah, they do chew the nozzle a bit, hence why its good to have spares. once its damaged, just replace. I've found they last a little while anyway, but it does depend if bun is a chewer. mine seem to want to destroy the syringe at all costs!!

the long nozzle works well for getting into their mouth too, as you can just slip it behind their front teeth and in :) they can be a bit difficult to hold when full, but that mostly comes down to how big your hands are tbh.

I've always worried about cutting apart of the syringe as it always seems to end up sharp for me, but then again I might be doing it wrong

As BinkyCodie says, those bigger syringes are useful

I have them, but personally I don't like them!

I only ever use 1 ml syringes, and just pull up the food as I go, even if that's 40 times per feed

Me too, I never got on with the bigger ones either.

Back