Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much hay?!

Default How much hay?!

Hi everyone, weíve just got our two new baby bunnies at the weekend & are complete newbies to bunny owning. Although iíve done lots of research i do tend to get very worried about whether whether iím doing the right thing...

The bunnies are only 13 & 17 weeks & we were told by the breeder to give them 3 small measures of their dried food every day (I guess theyíre about an egg cup). We use some of this as treats plus Rosewood Fenugreek Crunchies. We only see maybe 2/3 caecotroph a day & theyíre generally well formed little grapes so I hope that means theyíre ok.

But they donít seem to like to eat hay from the hay rack by the litter tray or the metal ball they have. They only eat hay from the floor really, is this ok? Plus I just put some hay in the litter trays on top of the litter?

Iím just wondering how much hay they should be eating? I know unlimited but I wonder if they are eating enough?

Thanks if you got to the bottom of the waffle 😁

Quote Originally Posted by New bunnies View Post
    Hi everyone, weíve just got our two new baby bunnies at the weekend & are complete newbies to bunny owning. Although iíve done lots of research i do tend to get very worried about whether whether iím doing the right thing...

The bunnies are only 13 & 17 weeks & we were told by the breeder to give them 3 small measures of their dried food every day (I guess theyíre about an egg cup). We use some of this as treats plus Rosewood Fenugreek Crunchies. We only see maybe 2/3 caecotroph a day & theyíre generally well formed little grapes so I hope that means theyíre ok.

But they donít seem to like to eat hay from the hay rack by the litter tray or the metal ball they have. They only eat hay from the floor really, is this ok? Plus I just put some hay in the litter trays on top of the litter?

Iím just wondering how much hay they should be eating? I know unlimited but I wonder if they are eating enough?

Thanks if you got to the bottom of the waffle 😁

Hi there and welcome to you and your bunnies

Rabbits should eat their body size in hay every day.

Or as much as possible in other words (as you know) and it's fine for them to eat it from the floor or litter tray. You have to experiment really and also rabbits do tend to change their minds from time to time as to how they like their food served

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/c...abbit-diet.asp

They are still quite young, but you could soon begin to cut down the pellets and also perhaps vary the hay - different types. Readigrass (freeze dried grass) is also another good one to make a variety for them.

In the wild they would have access to lots of different bits and pieces, so it's a good idea to give a variety of forage and hay for them to eat. Although you may soon find that they develop their favourites

Thanks Mighty Max, iíll have a look for some Readigrass.

At what age could I start to introduce some forage (is that the right word)? I think bramble leaves are easy on tummies arenít they? And raspberry leaves? We have some of both in our garden & i might be able to persuade my boys out foraging for their bunnies!!

At what age could I start to introduce some forage (is that the right word)? I think bramble leaves are easy on tummies arenít they? And raspberry leaves? We have some of both in our garden & i might be able to persuade my boys out foraging for their bunnies!!
    Yea readigrass is great

You can start introducing forage now, just in very small amounts, and slowly as bunny tummies are sensitive. Both of those leaves are fine

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Yeah, exactly as Grace said - introduce slowly

Bramble leaves and rose leaves are good.

Some forage links, just in case you need them

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...4-Plant-Images

Safe plants etc

http://www.kanin.org/?q=node/193

http://www.actionforrabbits.co.uk/Pl...%20rabbits.pdf

http://www.actionforrabbits.co.uk/To...lants%20v2.pdf

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/art...od-for-rabbits

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/art...bbits/foraging

And a very good book written by Twigs Way called 'Foraging for Rabbits' which can be purchased from the RWAF bookshop

My bunnies like eating hay from the floor - usually ill give them a big mound on the floor to eat. I've got racks and balls too but the floor is always where the most hay is eaten.

Maybe you could try timothyhay.co.uk hay? It's the yummiest hay ever. All bunnies go mad for it

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Bam & Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by loobers25 View Post
    My bunnies like eating hay from the floor - usually ill give them a big mound on the floor to eat. I've got racks and balls too but the floor is always where the most hay is eaten.

Maybe you could try timothyhay.co.uk hay? It's the yummiest hay ever. All bunnies go mad for it

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
    Absolutely this hay is the best.

I had to buy some temporary hay for a couple of days after a storage mess up, and they loved the hay I bought and still ate lots... But after getting back the Timothyhay.co.uk hay.. There was binkies, zoomies, flops on the hay and so much munching then next day all 4 had pooped so damn much. They really really love that hay haha

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Aah thanks everyone, reassuring to know itís not just ours that prefer hay on the floor! Iíll check out those links & the Timothy hay too!

My rabbits have hay in their litter trays, if we put it in a rack or ball or similar, not only do they not eat as much, but they then poop everywhere as they associate hay=toilet. It sounds like your bunnies are too small for a hayrack, or maybe the hay is too hard to get out?

Ohh coco loves eating hay off the floor. I have just purchased him a hay ball feeder though! I use straw for his bedding & for some reason he prefers to eat the straw rather than the hay so I'm hoping the hay ball feeder will help him!

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk