• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I need advice

Rozzi

New Kit
Hey again, I'm staying in France in the Kyriad hotel and they have this lovely little farm area. They have a few rabbits and guinea pigs but the one rabbit I'm concerned about is a Flemish giant called Josephine. She's kept locked from guests with the goats, sheep and Shetland ponies, she's in a hutch that is rather wide but plain and is attached to where the other animals sleep. I haven't seen her let out(although she might be let out, I just haven't seen her out) and I'm concerned as she has no company? I don't know what the laws are here in France, should I message the hotel or just leave it be?

I apologise in advance but I'm no expert on these matters so just voicing thoughts that may or may not be correct (and I'm sure that someone with greater wiser knowledge than myself can have greater input and help for you). I thought I read somewhere, that there is an equivilant RSPCA type body in France. I am sure most countries have a body that serves the protection of animals in some capacity. One thing I would suggest, is that 'leaving it and doing nothing' is really not an option. An animal may need help and doing nothing only makes the situation worse for the animal. One option might be to contact the RSPCA here as I am sure they would have contacts internationally or put you in contact with the appropriate french authority. Make sure you have the exact address, postcode and any relevant names of owners etc. If you have capacity on your phone, take some photos - they will be helpful in any case or inspection.
Pesonally I'd not approach the owners as they should already be aware of the conditions they are keeping the rabbit housed in and that might complicate the situation.
I'm sorry it's not greater help but hopefully there's a few ideas for you to look into.

The SPA is the French equivalent of the RSPCA. https://www.la-spa.fr The website is in French though. If you can speak French you could telephone or email them, with details, to see if they can do anything.

In France the attitudes to animal welfare by individuals varies wildly in my experience. I’m not sure if they would do anything, rather like the rspca here if an animal has food and water they don’t seem to be able to do much. I would try anyway.

it might be worth talking to the staff responsible for the rabbits care to see if she can have a run made, also you could write to Kyriads head office and also do a TripAdvisor review saying for example that you found it upsetting to stay somewhere where there is a rabbit kept confined in such a way.

When I complained (explained how they should be kept) to staff at a visitor attraction overseas about the care of tortoises they were actually quite upset that they had been keeping them like that out of ignorance, and said they would make sure they had more suitable space, shelter etc.

Back