• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried about Jims

rachylou

Warren Veteran
For a while now he has been sneezing on and off, i have taken him to the vets and they saw no nasal discharge and ruled it as nothing to worry about.
Over the past 2 weeks he has been sneezing a lot and over the past week i have noticed him 'coughing' as well. I also noticed him dropping biscuits out of his mouth and looking a bit uncomfortable for a minuite then carry on eating.
I have him booked in on thursday to see a different vet for a second opinion but ik really worried about him.
He does have spurs on his teeth that up till recently were not cutting in, i understand it coukd be his teeth as he also has a weepy eye.
My major concern is that he will need a dental under a GA and he is 10, would he make it through a GA?
Would it be worth doing other things first?

For a while now he has been sneezing on and off, i have taken him to the vets and they saw no nasal discharge and ruled it as nothing to worry about.
Over the past 2 weeks he has been sneezing a lot and over the past week i have noticed him 'coughing' as well. I also noticed him dropping biscuits out of his mouth and looking a bit uncomfortable for a minuite then carry on eating.
I have him booked in on thursday to see a different vet for a second opinion but ik really worried about him.
He does have spurs on his teeth that up till recently were not cutting in, i understand it coukd be his teeth as he also has a weepy eye.
My major concern is that he will need a dental under a GA and he is 10, would he make it through a GA?
Would it be worth doing other things first?

It does sound as though it could be Dental related, given all of his symptoms. In the hands of an experienced Bunny Savvy Vet a GA, whilst still a risk, would be made as safe as possible. The Vet would ensure that all extra precautions are taken. I have had numerous 10-12 year old Rabbits undergo a GA and all survived and made a remarkably rapid recovery.

Best wishes for Jims x

It does sound like possibly his spurs are now a problem. Lots of vibes for Jimmy & a successful trip to the vets

Jims has a chest infection and possible snuffles.
The spurs are quite long and spikey on the left side which is the same side as his watery eye so possibly related.
We are going to administer eye drops and baytril for a week and see if that helps and if not in a week will rejig medications and once the chest infection is under control reasses his teeth.

Jims has a chest infection and possible snuffles.
The spurs are quite long and spikey on the left side which is the same side as his watery eye so possibly related.
We are going to administer eye drops and baytril for a week and see if that helps and if not in a week will rejig medications and once the chest infection is under control reasses his teeth.

Poor Jims :cry: I hope the abx kick in quickly x

is tgis something that could kill him or is he going to be ok?

Hopefully the abx will get rid of the infection. Try to take things one day at a time. Make sure that he continues to eat well and that his poo output is normal. He will need optimum nutrition whilst fighting an infection x

my poor boy is still not right, the sneezing has calmed down a bit and they sound less 'snotty' but hes now getting a bit picky about his food, i pray its just cause hes not feeling 100% and its not that his teeth need doing. we are giving him the antibiotic, eye drops, metacam, zantac and fibreplex all once a day, will be taking him back to the vets on thursday.

Poor Jims :cry: It does sound as though his teeth may be causing him some discomfort. Could the Vet see him today ? It's just that if he does need a Dental it would be far better to get it done before his GI tract slows down due to reduced food intake and certainly before he stops eating all together. Sending more vibes for him x

thanks Jane. they have extended his antibiotics and eye drops. i forgot to ask the vet how long its safe to keep him on metacam?

thanks Jane. they have extended his antibiotics and eye drops. i forgot to ask the vet how long its safe to keep him on metacam?

I'd give the Vet a call today to ask him/her. I have had Rabbits on longterm Metacam for chronic pain issues, but each case needs to be treated individually and your Vet is the best person to advise you on that. When a Rabbit is on longterm Metacam It is generally necessary for them to have regular blood tests to monitor their renal function. Some Vets also prescribe Ranitidine (Zantac) alongside Metacam to protect the stomach from ulceration. A possible side effect of Metacm is gastric ulceration, although Rabbits appear to be less prone to this than are other species of animal.

Sending Jims more vibes x

Back