• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

beginnings of podermatitis/sore hocks

Mia

Warren Scout
Hello

My bunny Benny (who some of you may remember had cancer earlier in the year-all ok so far) - started to walk a bit strangely last Wed 3rd Oct. So I had a look and saw two deep pink spots on his hocks, "ok" I thought, maybe beginning of podermatitis and I took him to vets. He's been given Betafuse which has betamethasone and fusidic acid as its active components.

I also took some of his own fur from grooming and made some felt and bandaged his hocks. He didn't try and take it off but he really didn't like walking in them. I also used unmedicated corn plasters to take the pressure off. Altho the hocks def look better, his walking is now awful- he's completely dragging them along the floor.

Is this how sore hocks normally is? It's hideous to see him like this.

Just to give you some background, they are free range house buns, with a regularly changed litter tray. They sleep on fleece blankets, he is not overweight and eats a majority timothy hay diet.

His legs still work, as when I have to put the cream on and let it dry they shudder a bit.

He hasn't had any falls either.

Hello

My bunny Benny (who some of you may remember had cancer earlier in the year-all ok so far) - started to walk a bit strangely last Wed 3rd Oct. So I had a look and saw two deep pink spots on his hocks, "ok" I thought, maybe beginning of podermatitis and I took him to vets. He's been given Betafuse which has betamethasone and fusidic acid as its active components.

I also took some of his own fur from grooming and made some felt and bandaged his hocks. He didn't try and take it off but he really didn't like walking in them. I also used unmedicated corn plasters to take the pressure off. Altho the hocks def look better, his walking is now awful- he's completely dragging them along the floor.

Just to give you some background, they are free range house buns, with a regularly changed litter tray. They sleep on fleece blankets, he is not overweight and eats a majority timothy hay diet.

His legs still work, as when I have to put the cream on and let it dry they shudder a bit.

Hello

Sore hocks often occur as a secondary symptom of another mobility problem such as arthritis. It is concerning to hear that Benny is 'dragging his hind legs' as this is certainly not a normal presentation.

Did the Vet thoroughly examine Benny to check for any skeletal/neurological problems ? Checking for conditions such as arthritis in the spine/hips, neurological deficits that could be EC related amongst other things.

Personally I would take Benny back to the Vet tomorrow for re-assessment and possibly further diagnostics.

This link gives some information about possible causes of hind leg weakness

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Differentials/paresis.htm

Good luck x

Hello

I'm glad to hear the cream is healing the sore hocks, but the problem seems to have shifted now?

I would want a vet to look at the whole situation - the hocks, the way he hops, his living arrangements etc and then come to a conclusion. It sounds like you may have been left adrift a bit as far as advice goes? Sorry if that's not the case :)

I'm glad to hear the cream is healing the sore hocks, but the problem seems to have shifted now?

I would want a vet to look at the whole situation - the hocks, the way he hops, his living arrangements etc and then come to a conclusion. It sounds like you may have been left adrift a bit as far as advice goes? Sorry if that's not the case :)

Tell me about it! I am sick and tired of me going into vets and diagnosing or suggesting as they simply don't have the knowledge/savvy. They didn't do any examination whatever. Just issued some cream for hocks, which are def getting better.
I'm off to vets again tomorrow....

Tell me about it! I am sick and tired of me going into vets and diagnosing or suggesting as they simply don't have the knowledge/savvy. They didn't do any examination whatever. Just issued some cream for hocks, which are def getting better.
I'm off to vets again tomorrow....

Is there another vet you can go to?

Is there another vet you can go to?

Benny had a thorough physical examination on Friday. The vet could not find any reason for his lack of use in his hind legs. He had strength in his legs and reacted when she pinched his foot.

He is showing no neurological signs at all of E/C, but vet suggested he gets a 28 day dose of panacur just in case. He is also on loxicom. The painkiller has made no change at all so pain is unlikely??

We will have to call vet Monday to see his progress. We'll almost definitely end up going to John Chitty, and I'm preparing myself for the worst.

The weirdest thing is that the top half of him is completely happy and normal - eating happily, dragging himself over when we've a treat to give him, he's enjoying his grooming from his devoted brother. I'm feeding him his own cecotrophs as he can't reach and looks forward to me giving them to him. He's not chattering in pain, he's not depressed or anorexic.

It's a mini mystery, but I don't think it'll end well...

Back