• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help me find a hutch!

Lillian

Warren Veteran
I have spent days looking everywhere I can think of online for appropriate housing for a special needs bunny.

What I need

Single storey (he's completely blind now)
At least 6ft
Under £160
Needs to be delivered
It doesn't have to be new, but there's nothing second hand on ebay or local ads.

I've looked at playhouses, bike sheds, hutches. I can't seem to find the right thing.

Bun is almost 10, newly blind and won't use a run. So hutch needs to be spacious so he can nest and feel safe.

I have spent days looking everywhere I can think of online for appropriate housing for a special needs bunny.

What I need

At least 6ft
Under £160
Needs to be delivered
It doesn't have to be new, but there's nothing second hand on ebay or local ads.

I've looked at playhouses, bike sheds, hutches. I can't seem to find the right thing.

Bun is almost 10, newly blind and won't use a run. So hutch needs to be spacious so he can nest and feel safe.

Indoors or outdoors ?

Personally I would be very wary of buying a 2nd hand wooden structure in the current climate re RHD2.

How about the Chartwell 6' hutch £130 delivery free I think. You won't get a playhouse for under £160. Have you looked at B&Q sheds, they might do a small one, say 6 x 4 for under £160.

What I need

At least 6ft
Under £160
Needs to be delivered

I've just started a thread about second hand hutches, as there have been reported cases of rabbits dying of suspected RHD2 from the virus lingering.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?473066-The-dangers-of-using-a-second-hand-hutch

Unless you want to do the full Virkon/Anigene clean then I would avoid, even if your rabbits are vaccinated.

I would argue that while he is blind, he will likely still use a run if you give him some time and offer it there. NO hutch by itself would ever be considered big enough for 24/7 living, I would argue that it may not even be fair. I wouldn't completely wipe out the idea that because he is blind he wont do this, or he won't do that. while yes, he is blind, he will be more scared/cautious of things (sudden movements from you, things in the garden) he will adjust. scent and hearing will compensate, you'll notice differences when you look between him and other bunnies. they look around, shove their noses forward, he will move his ears/head while up in a meercat position to sense where noises are coming from. while Luna has been blind all of her life, she just like many other blind rabbits, has adapted well. she's had her fair share of bumping into walls or falling out of the door (a bit of a drop), but I didn't figure out she was blind for quite some time. they really aren't as helpless as you might expect. I would expect if you give him some time, scatter some nice noms in the run, talk to him, reassure him, he would use the run in no time with very little issues.

As tonibun said I can highly recommend the Chartwell 6ft single hutch from home and roost. They are currently £129.99 on their own or £219.99 with the matching run

https://homeandroost.co.uk/product/hutch-6ft-chartwell-single/

We have 2 of the double versions with runs attached and are brilliant quality hutches :)

The runs also come with 2 extra mesh panels so they can be taken off and used pushed up against the hutch or placed inside and used away from the hutch as a solid 4 sided run for grass etc.

I know it’s not a lot but I have a 5% off discount code if you would be interested in using it :)

Back