• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Swollen Nose

Santa's Bunny's nose did heal up eventually. Although at first it did look pretty gross.

Jane do you know if there was a thread about it? I'm just wondering what meds the bunny had. Oliver is on septrin but I'm cleaning alot of gunk out 2/3 times a day - I'm worried as to whether its strong enough.

After a few days of excessive gunk coming out of the wound, the original scab (which I suspect to be the initial puncture wound) has come loose and whilst extremely stressful things are still coming away, I think I actually may of been able to clean alot of infection out now that its accessible. Its quite daunting keeping on top of it all. Oliver is remarkably bright, if anything eating much better than he had been previously - he's actually put on weight. Not really an issue as he always falls underweight at the start of the colder months so he definately needs the extra. I feel awful for him having to be subjected to so much cleaning, but I'm telling myself its being cruel to be kind. He's such a decile rabbit, and he's definately resisting the cleans so it must be extreamly painful. :cry:

Thanks Jane. Olivers wound is not on his nose like deliah, he literally has no nose. I can't post pics to explain as I suspect its too graphic for alot of members, It makes me feel queesy each time cleaning time comes around. :(

After a few days of excessive gunk coming out of the wound, the original scab (which I suspect to be the initial puncture wound) has come loose and whilst extremely stressful things are still coming away, I think I actually may of been able to clean alot of infection out now that its accessible. Its quite daunting keeping on top of it all. Oliver is remarkably bright, if anything eating much better than he had been previously - he's actually put on weight. Not really an issue as he always falls underweight at the start of the colder months so he definately needs the extra. I feel awful for him having to be subjected to so much cleaning, but I'm telling myself its being cruel to be kind. He's such a decile rabbit, and he's definately resisting the cleans so it must be extreamly painful. :cry:

Poor wee man.
Must be difficult for you too, to witness his distress.

Thanks Jane. Olivers wound is not on his nose like deliah, he literally has no nose. I can't post pics to explain as I suspect its too graphic for alot of members, It makes me feel queesy each time cleaning time comes around. :(

If you wanted to PM me some pics I wont mind seeing them. I have a strong stomach. Obviously I cant offer any qualified advice. But maybe I could make a few suggestions that you could run by your Vet.

Feel free to PM me photos Amy.
I will help if I can :)

Thanks guys - I will take some tonight.

Much less gunk this morning so hopefully antibiotics are starting to do their job.

Excellent. Has the Vet mentioned using some medical grade Manuka Honey on the wound after you have cleaned it ? I use this one

Oddly enough when I was raiding the bunnies first aid kit to borrow the activon for myself it did occur to me, but its very thick in consistancy and I'd be worried about it blocking the nasal passages as everything is so exposed.

Oddly enough when I was raiding the bunnies first aid kit to borrow the activon for myself it did occur to me, but its very thick in consistancy and I'd be worried about it blocking the nasal passages as everything is so exposed.

Manuka Honey is good stuff, but the thickness could mean that it doesn't go on a wound gently enough.
In an abscess cavity, it's useful as the warmth of the body softens it and it flows.

Would you be able to ask your vet about using it on his nose?

Manuka Honey is good stuff, but the thickness could mean that it doesn't go on a wound gently enough.
In an abscess cavity, it's useful as the warmth of the body softens it and it flows.

Would you be able to ask your vet about using it on his nose?

Yep I will do. Given the sensitive nature though I'm not sure it would be suitable. you'll see what I mean once I get the pics. Its a shame as I've used it lots in absesses - its fantastic stuff, hence why I borrowed some for myself :lol:

Ive Pm'd you both pics - I can't stress enough that they are very upseting to look at, so I really appreciate the help.

Back