• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Swollen Nose

I’m just thinking if It would be worth contacting the vet, in case he needs gut stimulants?

Swelling is not improving. He's not touched any pellets this morning though will eat greens. :(

2iiwd5e.jpg

Oh I'm very sorry to hear this :(

I’m just thinking if It would be worth contacting the vet, in case he needs gut stimulants?

Thanks, I have some if needed.

He is eating, but its so exhausting for him as it makes breathing difficult so hes eating small amounts at intervals. We still have healthy looking output.

Thanks, I have some if needed.

He is eating, but its so exhausting for him as it makes breathing difficult so hes eating small amounts at intervals. We still have healthy looking output.

Bless him:cry: he’s probably managing to get quite a bit of food through his system then, if his output is still good :thumb:

Thank you. He's showing a little more interest in hay today - my Timoth Hay has just arrived so will try him on it as soon as I finish work.

Thank you. He's showing a little more interest in hay today - my Timoth Hay has just arrived so will try him on it as soon as I finish work.

That’s good news :thumb: hopefully he will like the new hay :thumb:

Warning - Graphic Description

We had been doing so well and moving in the right direction - swelling had finally started to reduce.

Yesteday I got home from work and his nose was hanging off.

Thankfully my vets stayed late waiting for me to get through rush hour traffic and saw him straight away.

We discussed nodular myxi again and whilst we can't rule it out, the vet felt this was still unlikely given there are no other lesions or swellings.

I explained that when it started to go down the scabs the first vet noticed, looked very much like puncture wounds to me.

The suggestions now are that he was bitten by something and infection built up until the pressure was too great.

The vet removed his nose, with little effort, and I just about managed not to pass out. I'm usually very good at dealing with bunny illness but this was a bit much even for me.

The good news is that the vet thinks it will actually heal easier now aslong as we can prevent infection. He's on antibiotics, pain relief and hibiscrub washes.

To top it off a lorry crashed a grit bin into my car aswell yesterday so all in all it was not a good day.

We had been doing so well and moving in the right direction - swelling had finally started to reduce.

Thankfully my vets stayed late waiting for me to get through rush hour traffic and saw him straight away.

We discussed nodular myxi again and whilst we can't rule it out, the vet felt this was still unlikely given there are no other lesions or swellings.

I explained that when it started to go down the scabs the first vet noticed, looked very much like puncture wounds to me.

The suggestions now are that he was bitten by something and infection built up until the pressure was too great.

The vet removed his nose, with little effort, and I just about managed not to pass out. I'm usually very good at dealing with bunny illness but this was a bit much even for me.

The good news is that the vet thinks it will actually heal easier now aslong as we can prevent infection. He's on antibiotics, pain relief and hibiscrub washes.

To top it off a lorry crashed a grit bin into my car aswell yesterday so all in all it was not a good day.

Oh good grief poor wee chap :cry: Santa on here had a Bunny who did have nodular Myxo and the exact same scenario happened. But as you say, according to your Vet nodular Myxo is unlikely in your Bunnie's case. Sending lots more healing vibes.

Sorry to hear about your RTA too, the last thing you needed on top of all the other stress xx

Thanks Jane. I'm definately keeping an eye just incase any more swellings appear. Although both the vets and I really don't think its that, I feel its better to be safe than sorry.

Gracious Amy, that's such a shock after the swelling reducing so well :shock:

But I really feel that now it will be able to heal as the infection will have no where to build up.

How is your car? And how are you? xx

The cars not to badly damaged - more of an inconvinience than anything.

I was completely stressed yesterday, but feeling much better about it all today, think it was mostly just the shock.

Thanks Jane. I'm definately keeping an eye just incase any more swellings appear. Although both the vets and I really don't think its that, I feel its better to be safe than sorry.

Santa's Bunny's nose did heal up eventually. Although at first it did look pretty gross.

The cars not to badly damaged - more of an inconvinience than anything.

I was completely stressed yesterday, but feeling much better about it all today, think it was mostly just the shock.

You should probably take the same medicine as your bunny, and I hope you'll be OK xx

Oh poor little bunny, no wonder it was painful. Really hope it heals up quickly now, bless him. So pleased that you weren't hurt in the crash xxx

Back