• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Swollen Nose

Amy104

Warren Veteran
Anyone seen this in a bunny?

Oliver's nose has swollen up - it also looks an odd colour, like its brusied.

We are obviously straight off to the vets - but I've never seen anything like it.

He's a known respitory bun and it looks almost like there is disharge which isn't draining. :cry:

One of the other buns in the group also has a slightly dirty nose - but no swelling.

Assuming vets agree this is respitory related I'm thinking antibiotics (for infection), metacam (reduce swelling) and possibly bisolven to help it drain.

It doesn't look anything like I'd expect of a myxi noddle or syphalis infection.

Hes eating and drinking normally. Possibly not as much hay as normal, but he's interested but seems to get tired from the exertion.

I'm just consious that as obligate nasal breathers this is potentially very serious :cry:

I haven’t seen this before so I can’t advise, but I’m sending lots of vibes for him xx

Its not anything I've experience of. I hope its nothing to worry about. Lots of vibes for Oliver

Vets have advised its trauma - looks like he ran into something.

He's on maximum dose of Metacam to hopeful reduce the swelling and make him more comfortable.

He's on maximum dose of Metacam to hopeful reduce the swelling and make him more comfortable.

Gosh! You were right in thinking it looked bruised then. I hope he is feeling more comfy now

I hope he’s feeling better soon, sending more vibes xx

Poor Oliver is feeling very sorry for himself. :(

He's eating pellets and greens but hay is really exhausting for him as he's finding it difficult to chew and breathe.

Poor boy :cry: would he be able to eat fresh grass and readigrass easier than the hay do you think? Also he might enjoy fibrefirst sticks :thumb:

Yes he's finding the shorter readigrass much easier. I've got some fibre first here, will try some of those aswell.

Poor Oliver is feeling very sorry for himself. :(

He's eating pellets and greens but hay is really exhausting for him as he's finding it difficult to chew and breathe.

Amy I'm sorry I didn't see your post yesterday.

I hope Oliver will improve quickly and his breathing become easier.

Poor wee one!

Swelling is not improving. He's not touched any pellets this morning though will eat greens. :(

2iiwd5e.jpg

oh no :( I'm sorry to hear this. I've heard of a bun who got stung on the nose and their nose swelled up, it did look very comical. perhaps if it doesnt improving (if it is swelling) it might need to be drained? I can't say. I hope it improves :(

Oh bless him :cry: will he eat mushed pellets or recovery food with apple flavoured baby food mixed in :cry:

I'm using DualCare Recovery Diet so will try softening with water. I've got some banana/apple baby food so will try mixing some in. Thanks.

Back