• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Am I too nervous about my sick rabbit?

So far, she had the fluid at the vet two days only (the past Tues and Wed). Vet suggested to stop for few days since it's quite stressful for her.

Her next blood test will be next Tues (16Oct), then we will see what to do next. I believe she needs the fluid everyday isn't it?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

In my experience this can be the case. But unfortunately if Bunny deteriorates quickly without fluid therapy then it does indicate that the renal damage is advanced.

Are you trying to maximise her oral fluid intake ? This can include feeding more fresh wet Veg and herbs, adding a spot of unsweetened fruit juice to their drinking water, some Rabbits even like tepid water instead of cold. Fruit teas are a favorite with my lot, Blackberry and Nettle, Raspberry etc. One particularly likes warm peppermint tea. All 100% 'natural' and with no added sugars.

So far, she had the fluid at the vet two days only (the past Tues and Wed). Vet suggested to stop for few days since it's quite stressful for her.

Her next blood test will be next Tues (16Oct), then we will see what to do next. I believe she needs the fluid everyday isn't it?

Every day is best, but I know that's not always possible.

I use a drip line and a saline bag to give my renal rabbits daily fluids sub-cutaneously, but perhaps you could discuss with the vet using a large syringe and saline to get the fluids under the skin?

You can also serve up the veggies and herbs wet from washing, so there's extra moisture on them.

I do know how sad and stressful this can be.
My thoughts are with you

Hi all, Keelala has passed away in the midnight at home. It was devastated. I did expect this happens when the vet told me her kidney is very bad after the blood test, but I didn't expect this happens so quickly...

I adopted her from a rescue 1.5 years ago. She is about 6 years old who has cataract on her left eye. Her medical history was unknown, but I always thought that I can improve her health by giving good quality of life, but it is not the case that I expected.

My heart is broken, and I was crying extremely hard when I pick up her body from her litter tray and wrap her up with the towel. I lost two rabbits before, both were passed away at the vet. Hence this is the first time I experienced with my rabbit died at home.

I've been contacting the rescue and they have a female rabbit needs urgently rehoming, will see the rabbit tomorrow, so to keep Stressy (my male rabbit) accompanied, as I am concerned his health would be changed after he lost Keelala...

This is the second time that Stressy experienced the lost of company, but this time he had the chance to sniff Keelala's body. I am not sure if it would make any difference. I heard some people say that animal accept death and move on quickly. Is this the case? And am I too rush on getting him a new rabbit?

Hi all, Keelala has passed away in the midnight at home. It was devastated. I did expect this happens when the vet told me her kidney is very bad after the blood test, but I didn't expect this happens so quickly...

I adopted her from a rescue 1.5 years ago. She is about 6 years old who has cataract on her left eye. Her medical history was unknown, but I always thought that I can improve her health by giving good quality of life, but it is not the case that I expected.

My heart is broken, and I was crying extremely hard when I pick up her body from her litter tray and wrap her up with the towel. I lost two rabbits before, both were passed away at the vet. Hence this is the first time I experienced with my rabbit died at home.

I've been contacting the rescue and they have a female rabbit needs urgently rehoming, will see the rabbit tomorrow, so to keep Stressy (my male rabbit) accompanied, as I am concerned his health would be changed after he lost Keelala...

This is the second time that Stressy experienced the lost of company, but this time he had the chance to sniff Keelala's body. I am not sure if it would make any difference. I heard some people say that animal accept death and move on quickly. Is this the case? And am I too rush on getting him a new rabbit?

I an sorry to hear this :(

I have had to bond a rabbit within a week before, when it's been necessary ... It can be the best thing.

I'm really sorry for your loss. Sending you lots of hugs xxx binky free little one

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm so sorry.:(
You did your very best to keep her as comfortable as possible and I hope that you are able to bond Stressy with the new female. As MM said, another bonding can be the best thing

I am so very sorry to read this update and send you lots of hugs. Regarding getting another rabbit for Stressy, I think that you will be the best judge of this. If you think this will be the best for him, then I'm sure this will be the case. I would go to the rescue with an open mind and see whether you think the doe would be right for Stressy.

Let us know how you get on.

I am very sorry to read this. You did your absolute best for Keelala and you gave her a wonderful life, blessed with all your love. Binkey free little Keelala x

Thank you everyone! I hope time can heal! Been crying a lot the past week. I cry when I look at the cage, cry when I stand in their playroom, cry when I look through the photos and videos... my husband is kind of pushing me to get back to normal quickly as if I keep on like this, Stressy can sense me and I would affect him as well... I am trying my best...

Will keep you updated on how's the bonding go.

I'm so sorry. Sleep tight bunny . Rabbits cope really differently with grief & how soon to rebond probably varies lots from rabbit to rabbit . Thinking of you & stressy xx

Thank you everyone! I hope time can heal! Been crying a lot the past week. I cry when I look at the cage, cry when I stand in their playroom, cry when I look through the photos and videos... my husband is kind of pushing me to get back to normal quickly as if I keep on like this, Stressy can sense me and I would affect him as well... I am trying my best...

I am very sorry to read of Keelala's passing :cry: It probably wont be of much comfort to you, but at least she passed in the safety and familiarity of her own home with her friend Stressy by her side. 'Better' for her than having to be transported to a 'strange' place (the Vets) to be PTS by a person she does not know. I always think that a death at home, whilst absolutely devastating for those left behind, is the 'best' way to go for any living being, including humans.

Forgive me for raising this now, but if I were you I'd speak with your Vet about giving Stressy and any other Rabbit you adopt a 28 day course of Fenbendazole (Panacur/Lapizole) as a precaution incase Encephalitozoon Cuniculi (EC) was involved in Keelala's illness. Both Cataracts and Renal failure can be caused by EC.

https://www.dechra.co.uk/therapy-ar...cs-antifungals/disease-information/e-cuniculi

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/e-cuniculi/

https://www.dovepress.com/encephali...l-manageme-peer-reviewed-fulltext-article-VMR

I'd also disinfect ( a 10% bleach solution/steam cleaning) all of the areas that may have been urine contaminated, as you will have read from the above links EC is spread via spores she in the urine. This disinfecting routine should also be carried out on days 21 and 28 of a course of Fenbendazole.

I emphasise, please speak with your Vet about giving a precautionary course of Fenbendazole before doing so.

RIP little Keelala Bunny xx

Hi Jack's Jane,

Yes, you are right! Thank you for your suggestion. Vet did mention that Keelala is less likely to have E. Cuniculi, but I will definitely speak to Vet about the 28 days course of Panacur for Stressy and the new bun.

I did think about getting the new bun the blood test anyway, just in case she has some hidden illness, so she can get the treatment sooner rather than later.

Regarding the disinfection, I will do it now, before the new bun comes later today.

Thank you so much. I really can't think and no idea what to do. My mind just keeps having the picture of Keelala.... I can't be like that anymore. Need to think about Stressy and the new bun more.

Hi Jack's Jane,

Yes, you are right! Thank you for your suggestion. Vet did mention that Keelala is less likely to have E. Cuniculi, but I will definitely speak to Vet about the 28 days course of Panacur for Stressy and the new bun.

I did think about getting the new bun the blood test anyway, just in case she has some hidden illness, so she can get the treatment sooner rather than later.

Regarding the disinfection, I will do it now, before the new bun comes later today.

Thank you so much. I really can't think and no idea what to do. My mind just keeps having the picture of Keelala.... I can't be like that anymore. Need to think about Stressy and the new bun more.

It is only to be expected that you cannot get the image of Keelala out of your mind. But in time, whilst her passing will always be painful for you, you will start to remember happy times too.

Keelala would want Stressy to have another companion and you are making sure that happens xx

Losing a rabbit is devastating. I hope you're OK.

Sending hugs xx

Back