• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Am I too nervous about my sick rabbit?

Nicole Mok

Young Bun
My rabbit - Keelala has been not well in the past few days, she has been up and down. No idea why. Sorry it's a long story...

The past few weeks, she has been quiet, but still interested in vegetable, but less hay and not keen on nugget as usual. So I thought may be just the change of weather. Vet asked to give her more vegetable if she is interested in it more. She has lost a bit of weight

On Thurs after 6:30pm, she was still interested in vegetable. After that, she is more quiet, not eating hay, drinking water. I've been force fed hay overnight (it worked before with my other rabbit - Stressy).

Next morning, Keelala seems ok, eating a bit of hay and drinking water. So I went to work, but after I came home, she wasn't eating again. So I started mashing the nugget (the brand that vet suggested) to syringe feed her, and fed three times separately. Seems ok and she started eating little hay and eating vegetable. Faeces - a little bit wet and few drops stick together.

This morning, active and ate a bit more hay and vegetable, drunk water, so her faeces back to normal drops but super small. However, back to quiet, and not eating hay in the afternoon. So I asked Vet to get me the pain killer (Mxyomaid) and gave her once today with mashed nugget, but doesnt seem to have any improvement. She tries to eat a bit of vegetable and hay every two hours. But when she is trying to have her vegeable, Stresy was trying to mount and makes her run away..... until now, she hasn't passed any faeces, just urine. Weight her again, lost a bit more....

I wanted to try syringe feed her mashed nugget again, but she is running away from me while I try to take her out from the cage. So my husband asked me to just let her relax and don't stress her out more, since she is at least eating a little.

Am I too anxious and should I keep on force feeding her mashed nugget?

Thank you for any advices.

I would suggest that you get her to a rabbit-savvy vet and have her checked over tomorrow. Don't leave it in the hope that it will sort itself out. As prey animals, rabbits tend not to show any symptoms until they are quite poorly. A rabbit that isn't eating much and has reduced faecal output is at risk from other issues such as gut stasis, which could require emergency treatment and certainly should not be ignored. Meanwhile, I would continue with the syringe feeding several times a day, or see if she is happier to eat softened nuggets left in a bowl. Sometimes it works better if it is mixed with some veg-based baby food or apple or carrot puree.

Based on my experiences, it sounds like the typical symptoms of dental issues and I would anticipate her needing treatment to deal with her teeth - often the molars develop spurs which need burring down under anaesthetic.

Thank you Shimmer, I just syringe fed her the nugget again, third time today.

As before, she is sitting quietly, but after 20mins, I tried to use a small piece of carrot to attract her, she ran toward me and grab it quickly! I also gave her a small amount of watercress, thyme, corianda.. she is only interested in watercress, ate 3 branches. I now put the rest of the mashed nugget in the bowl besides her with a small carrot in it, see if she will eat...

I actually have an appointment booked on Monday 9am to see the vet who is a rabbit-savvy. But if she is no improvement tomorrow, I will definitely bring her to the emergency vet.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I would suggest that you get her to a rabbit-savvy vet and have her checked over tomorrow. Don't leave it in the hope that it will sort itself out. As prey animals, rabbits tend not to show any symptoms until they are quite poorly. A rabbit that isn't eating much and has reduced faecal output is at risk from other issues such as gut stasis, which could require emergency treatment and certainly should not be ignored. Meanwhile, I would continue with the syringe feeding several times a day, or see if she is happier to eat softened nuggets left in a bowl. Sometimes it works better if it is mixed with some veg-based baby food or apple or carrot puree.

Based on my experiences, it sounds like the typical symptoms of dental issues and I would anticipate her needing treatment to deal with her teeth - often the molars develop spurs which need burring down under anaesthetic.

I agree with all of this. Sending lots of vibes for your bunny :thumb:

As Shimmer has mentioned, there may be some Dental problems that need addressing but If Keela is not passing any faeces then it really is essential that a Vet sees her ASAP. There is a chance that there might be a gastrointestinal obstruction and if so syringe feeding could make things much worse. Some info here, but do please get Keela to the Vet ASAP

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/PhysicalTraumatic/AcuteGIT_ObstructionRabbits.htm

https://sawneeanimalclinic.com/down..._obstruction,_gastric_dilation_in_rabbits.pdf

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Caecal_ObstructionRabbit.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Caecal_Impaction.htm

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

Hi all, thank you for your advices. She looks active again this morning, ate a bit of hay and vegetable, but no faeces. So just brought her to see vet, gave her some fluid to see how she goes. Vet said dont think it's the gut she has the problem, thinks it might be something else but not sure what it is.

Will need to keep an eye on her, if still no faeces, suggested to keep on syringe feed as she still needs more food get into her stomach..

Still bring her back tomorrow morning and see if she needs to do blood test to check the glucose level, or if necessary to keep at the vet to do the x-ray...

Really hope that she will get back to normal soon.. I am so worried...

Have her teeth been checked? The back ones are difficult to see properly while they are conscious, but a good look around with an ottoscope may show spurs on the molars.

She can't produce poo if there is no food going in. If there is no food going in, there is a very real possibility of gut stasis. If the vet said there was definitely no blockage, you need to syringe feed her every couple of hours. If she is eating a little hay, she may find it easier to eat fresh grass and that will provide the fibre she needs.

Vet has checked her teeth, but difficult to see anything. She seems more active now, and ate more hay, veggies, and more importantly she has passed some faeces. Although still small and irregular shape, but I hope this is a good sign? I gave her some fresh grass as well and she was excited[emoji4]

I syringe fed her one tonight since she has been eating a bit more, don't want to stress her out for doing it many times. In between the syringe feed, I gave her tiny piece of carrot to encourage her. It works[emoji16]

Still bring her back tomorrow morning to see vet to follow up, see what the vet says.

Vet has checked her teeth, but difficult to see anything. She seems more active now, and ate more hay, veggies, and more importantly she has passed some faeces. Although still small and irregular shape, but I hope this is a good sign? I gave her some fresh grass as well and she was excited[emoji4]

I syringe fed her one tonight since she has been eating a bit more, don't want to stress her out for doing it many times. In between the syringe feed, I gave her tiny piece of carrot to encourage her. It works[emoji16]

Still bring her back tomorrow morning to see vet to follow up, see what the vet says.

I hope that your Bunny has improved more overnight and that her check up at the Vet goes well xx

Hope she's still improving and good luck for the vet today

Blood test result... bad news, kidney failure. Vet said no cure for rabbit... Just bring her back in and try to get the fluid dripping, something like inject to her ear for all day. This can only reduce the level, but not cure... what else can I do?? I am pretty upset. I thought she is getting better and she does look better... eating, drinking and pooing. Though not the usual amount..

Blood test result... bad news, kidney failure. Vet said no cure for rabbit... Just bring her back in and try to get the fluid dripping, something like inject to her ear for all day. This can only reduce the level, but not cure... what else can I do?? I am pretty upset. I thought she is getting better and she does look better... eating, drinking and pooing. Though not the usual amount..

I am so sorry :(

I have nursed several kidney failure bunnies.

There is medication - Fortekor - which is often given to alleviate kidney failure, and as you say, the fluids. Fortekor is mainly a heart medication, but is often used in cases of renal failure.

I used to give sub-cut fluids at home to my rabbits which only took a few minutes.

Oh dear I am sorry to hear this. Depending on how advanced the renal failure is and whether it is 'chronic' or 'acute', there are some possible options for managing the condition for a while. Not a 'cure', but buying the Rabbit more good quality time.

These links may be useful to read

http://news.vet.tufts.edu/2016/01/diagnosing-renal-disease-in-rabbits-clinical-case-challenge/

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/ChronicRenalLagomorph.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Acute_RenalLagomorph.htm

Thank you for the information, I will read them. She is back from the vet today after having the fluid dripping, vet advised she is doing fine and she seems active, more interested in hay. Vet feels surprised that she is quite active than expected.

So vet suggests to do the same fluid dripping again tomorrow, try to clear up more toxic. At the same time she has been prescribed the zantac oral syrup for gut acid. Later, will do the blood test again see any improvement then to decide what's the next step.

I understand there is no treatment at all, but hopefully this problem can be controlled at some level.

Thank you for the information, I will read them. She is back from the vet today after having the fluid dripping, vet advised she is doing fine and she seems active, more interested in hay. Vet feels surprised that she is quite active than expected.

So vet suggests to do the same fluid dripping again tomorrow, try to clear up more toxic. At the same time she has been prescribed the zantac oral syrup for gut acid. Later, will do the blood test again see any improvement then to decide what's the next step.

I understand there is no treatment at all, but hopefully this problem can be controlled at some level.

Hopefully it can be for a while :)

You're welcome.

I hope you can keep it under control and it sounds like you and your vet are doing your best.

I've been through all of this, and I find taking things one day at a time helps.
Not looking to the future, but giving a good quality of life as long as it's possible

Thank you. The past week been a nightmare😔 I can only listen to my vet and follow her instruction. She was active after the fluid on Monday, but she is extremely quiet after the fluid from yesterday... It's so scary to see her like this.... I tried to give her small amount of fruit like strawberry, apple and blueberry. She is excited. After half an hour, she started eating some vegetable herself😊.

Thank you. The past week been a nightmare�� I can only listen to my vet and follow her instruction. She was active after the fluid on Monday, but she is extremely quiet after the fluid from yesterday... It's so scary to see her like this.... I tried to give her small amount of fruit like strawberry, apple and blueberry. She is excited. After half an hour, she started eating some vegetable herself��.

I hope that she can feel as well as possible today. When is her next blood test ? Is she having IV fluids daily ?

Thank you. The past week been a nightmare😔 I can only listen to my vet and follow her instruction. She was active after the fluid on Monday, but she is extremely quiet after the fluid from yesterday... It's so scary to see her like this.... I tried to give her small amount of fruit like strawberry, apple and blueberry. She is excited. After half an hour, she started eating some vegetable herself😊.

Ah, you managed to stimulate her appetite - well done you!

How often is she having the fluids?

So far, she had the fluid at the vet two days only (the past Tues and Wed). Vet suggested to stop for few days since it's quite stressful for her.

Her next blood test will be next Tues (16Oct), then we will see what to do next. I believe she needs the fluid everyday isn't it?

Back