Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My rabbits Humping HELP ME

That's good I have 3 baby rabbits I hand reared after they were left at a pet shop, 2 boys and a girl and the 2 boys are going to a new home together. I've known 2 boys have a strong bond of they've been together since babies but the majority will need neutering once they develop as their hormones run wild! The 2 boys I have are being neutered as soon as testicles descend. Of course no rabbits are the same but it would be best to keep an eye to make sure the humping doesn't lead to any other dominance behaviours such as chasing, circling and fur pulling.

If you need help with anything PM me or any of the other forum buddies (name shown in green)

Quote Originally Posted by Liz47 View Post
    That's good I have 3 baby rabbits I hand reared after they were left at a pet shop, 2 boys and a girl and the 2 boys are going to a new home together. I've known 2 boys have a strong bond of they've been together since babies but the majority will need neutering once they develop as their hormones run wild! The 2 boys I have are being neutered as soon as testicles descend. Of course no rabbits are the same but it would be best to keep an eye to make sure the humping doesn't lead to any other dominance behaviours such as chasing, circling and fur pulling.
    also they groom eatchother ad sleep cuddled up together and follow eatchother

I echo the advice already given, they really do need to be vaccinated ASAP, and the vet can check what sex they are. They will need to be spayed/neutered even if they are both the same sex, to avoid fighting when hormones kick in. And of course if they are boy and girl this will avoid unwanted litters. A boy can remain fertile for 4-6 weeks after neutering.

Good luck with them

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx

If you are in the UK, charities like the PDSA help epople who are on benefits or on a low income, they do a "chip and snip" service for 5 where they will neuter and/or microchip a pet. I recently had Calloway at their unit because he went into GI Stasis, and it was at a time when we had NO MONEY. I thought he was going to die, but when I rang them and explained, they said it was more important he got treated and they would deal with money later. He ended up having x rays, an injection to bring his temperature down, liquid food replacement and stayed in for 3 nights, and I was charged 100 (a private vet wanted 500). You pets health is your responsibility and if you are genuinely struggling, you need to reach out to charities. A neighbour of mine had a house rabbit die of myxi because she tracked in mud off her boots. House rabbits still need all the vaccinations and procedures of any pet. I would be happy to give you more information about being a pet owner on a budget, I myself am disabled and have a carer.

The expense is the joys of pets! I'm in the uk and i have registered Coco with PDSA, they do charge for medicines and treatment's I've been told that its 31 for his injection & also its 51 for him to be neutered, it isn't expensive especially knowing it can help them in the long run!

Of course when i first got Coco I didn't realise that they were of course pets who require a lot of care, but i would never deprive him of treatment and care he needs. Go to pdsa, once injections and neutering is done they only ask for donations this is because they are non funded. But its much cheaper than going to a normal vet.

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk

A simple google search brings up pages like this, it might be worth contacting various charities and seeing if rabbits are covered https://www.rspca.org.uk/local/hilli...gs&newsId=7651 It's also SUPER important your female rabbits are spayed as non spayed females are at a HIGH risk of cancer.

Also, if you have a vets 4 Pets near you then they have packages where you pay 7.99 a month per rabbit and it covers all of their "normal" treatments like vaccinations as well as some other benefits. I can't remember exactly what they all are as I don't have the booklet as I'm at work, but this year we got a free bottle of Fly Strike for each rabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by reedey View Post
    my rabbits are not from a petshop they where born in my house when 2 of my mums rabbt mated and they never been netured due to it being t expestive
    your mother needs educating. i dunno, perhaps you could go with her?

Having a rabbit is a huge responsibility. They NEED to be neuterd and they NEED their injections. With animals like these theres no such thing as too expensive, without these things they can become seriously ill and have a short life.

I will be totally honest, i bought my rabbit on a whim. No research so i had no clue, but i done my research and I've done what i need to do for my baby. I could be like you and say its too expensive I'm not doing it, but my children adore him, myself and my husband love him & he is a huge part of our family. They are not actually that expensive, you can look around for prices on injections and neutering etc and find the best possible rabbit savvy vet for your rabbits. Pdsa do a range of things on good prices but they do not have the important injection RHD2 But a rabbit savvy vet will charge the same as pdsa between 31-35 per injection. But its cheaper to go to pdsa to get them neuterd, if you cannot provide these things for your rabbits then i would seriously suggest giving them up for adoption where they can recieve the care that they need.
    I know this is not normally advised as there are soo many disowned rabbits but you are actually neglecting them

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk