Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dennis has eaten newspaper

Default Dennis has eaten newspaper

This morning. The corner of one sheet lining the bottom of his enclosure. I'm worried because this piece had red colouring (block colouring) and I have read online this can cause a blockage. I also read online that rabbits that eat naughty things are looking for extra fibre, however I think Dennis has alot of acess to fibre? He has 6 willow toys and 6 branches (willow, hawthorn and apple branches.) His enclosure is also lined with timothy hay and meadow hay. And just had aa pile of timothy hay three times as big as him for breakfast.

I am worried about blockage/ink poisoning? ?

I just fed him some chicory root and made some parsley extra wet. He has also had forage mix with plantain, willow leaf and golden rod etc

He's definitely injested it too.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by loobers25 View Post
    This morning. The corner of one sheet lining the bottom of his enclosure. I'm worried because this piece had red colouring (block colouring) and I have read online this can cause a blockage. I also read online that rabbits that eat naughty things are looking for extra fibre, however I think Dennis has alot of acess to fibre? He has 6 willow toys and 6 branches (willow, hawthorn and apple branches.) His enclosure is also lined with timothy hay and meadow hay. And just had aa pile of timothy hay three times as big as him for breakfast.

I am worried about blockage/ink poisoning? ?

I just fed him some chicory root and made some parsley extra wet. He has also had forage mix with plantain, willow leaf and golden rod etc

He's definitely injested it too.

I think the issue with newspaper is more the print rather than causing a blockage, unless a massive amount has been eaten.

Both my rabbits nibble cardboard and ingest it on occasion and I don't think it's because they lack fibre. So whilst it CAN be why they are eating it, I don't think it's always the case.

I don't usually use newspaper, but did use it quite a lot when I attempted to bond Tethra with the Dutch quad. The quad definitely used to nibble the paper and of course it was printed.

I would not be too concerned about Dennis, although it's hard not to worry. Just obviously observe how he is during the day. The large amount of hay that he's had for breakfast will in my view push the bits of newspaper through quickly. Btw I don't think that red dye is necessarily any worse than black or any other colour. How much did he eat in total?

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    I think the issue with newspaper is more the print rather than causing a blockage, unless a massive amount has been eaten.

Both my rabbits nibble cardboard and ingest it on occasion and I don't think it's because they lack fibre. So whilst it CAN be why they are eating it, I don't think it's always the case.

I don't usually use newspaper, but did use it quite a lot when I attempted to bond Tethra with the Dutch quad. The quad definitely used to nibble the paper and of course it was printed.

I would not be too concerned about Dennis, although it's hard not to worry. Just obviously observe how he is during the day. The large amount of hay that he's had for breakfast will in my view push the bits of newspaper through quickly. Btw I don't think that red dye is necessarily any worse than black or any other colour. How much did he eat in total?
    2cm x 1cm? Red block ink one side and black writing on the back

I'd be inclined to agree with Omi xx

I think alot of newspaper is printed with soy ink now and that's meant to be ok.

I expect he was just trying to move it out if his way. Our buns eat weird stuff if it's supposedly in the way.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

My first bunny, Biscuit, shredded an entire piece of newspaper and polished it all off before we knew what he’d done once. He was absolutely fine (though we stopped letting him have access to the newspaper after that!)

Just keep an eye on him but I’m sure he will be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wise Old Thumper

Personally I wouldn't worry about a small piece like that. Reading online it seems that most newspapers use soyabean oil now rather than the petroleum oil.

So I think the chances of it causing a problem are extremely small. The percentage of ink in the piece compared to paper is also tiny.

I would be interested in the views of others on this.

Banned

That's a tiny bit, and most inks are now soy and not harmful.

Even if the ink were not soy, the tiny amount Dennis has eaten would cause me no worry at all

I wouldn’t worry about that at all. He will be fine I am sure xx

Boobly is staring Dennis out for worring his Mum