• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mr Spencer isn’t feeling himself

zarathustra

Warren Scout
So, got home today and the wife told me that Spencer has been grumpy, she let he boys out for free play and he just wanted to lie down.

I took a good look and he really wasn’t himself, not eating, couldn’t tempt him with kale, nuggets, grass or hay.

We are at the out of hours vets, she said there a bit of distension and is taking some blood to check glucose levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So his glucose is 15.9 and his temperature is about 36, so they’re going to do estimate on how much it would cost to keep him in

So sorry to hear this, really hope Spencer is feeling better soon, sending loads of vibes for a speedy recovery xxxx

I'm sorry that Spencer is not feeling well. Sending him lots of vibes and I hope that he gets on well at the vets.

Thanks, they’re keeping him in over night to put him on iv fluids and stuff and we’re going to call back tomorrow morning.

I’m glad we decided to go to the out of hours vets, poor little man really isn’t well.

We’re going to keep an extra close eye on Frank who is spending his first night ever without Spencer.

Feel really bad, but he seemed fine when I fed them this morning, just wonder if we could have spotted it sooner, or if he’s unwell because of something we’ve done.

Thanks, they’re keeping him in over night to put him on iv fluids and stuff and we’re going to call back tomorrow morning.

I’m glad we decided to go to the out of hours vets, poor little man really isn’t well.

We’re going to keep an extra close eye on Frank who is spending his first night ever without Spencer.

Feel really bad, but he seemed fine when I fed them this morning, just wonder if we could have spotted it sooner, or if he’s unwell because of something we’ve done.

Its hard to spot when they are ill sometimes, they are very good at hiding it. I’m sure it won’t be anything you have done or not done. I hope he will be feeling better tomorrow :thumb:

Its hard to spot when they are ill sometimes, they are very good at hiding it. I’m sure it won’t be anything you have done or not done. I hope he will be feeling better tomorrow :thumb:

Thanks, I think Frank misses his friend, and I wish I could be there with Spencer.

Sending vibes your way. Hopefully a good update in the morning xx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone.

We didn’t get any calls during the night, so at least his condition hasn’t deteriorated.

I’ll be calling them at around 8, hopefully we’ll be able to bring him home.

Thanks all, Spencer is Home, and back outside with Frank, but we are going to monitor him, and alternate inside and outside so that his body temperature doesn’t drop again.

He is eating, and pooping.

One question, they’ve been apart for less than 24 hours and Frank is trying to do a lot of humping, and Spencer has done a bit of chasing.

Has Spencer going into hospital broken their bond? Or is this just them re-asserting their dominance?

I should note that there has been no grunting, lunging etc, just a bit more exuberant than usual.

Thanks all, Spencer is Home, and back outside with Frank, but we are going to monitor him, and alternate inside and outside so that his body temperature doesn’t drop again.

One question, they’ve been apart for less than 24 hours and Frank is trying to do a lot of humping, and Spencer has done a bit of chasing.

Has Spencer going into hospital broken their bond? Or is this just them re-asserting their dominance?

I should note that there has been no grunting, lunging etc, just a bit more exuberant than usual.

Personally I would not keep moving them indoors and out. Lots of environmental temperature changes are likely to cause more problems than it prevents.

Re the chasing/mounting, this can occur when a bonded pair have been separated for a day or so. It does not necessarily mean their bond has broken down. That said, I would want to be able to monitor the dynamics of their relationship very closely over the weekend. Sometimes if one Bunny in a pair is a bit under the weather the other Rabbit can be a bit of a bully toward him/her. Or the not too well Rabbit may show unusual aggression toward their companion.

The boys are excited to see one another again, and this should settle down.
Did the vet not wish you to take Frank with Spencer for company/ bond?

I doubt the bond has broken, but keep an eye on it. Rabbits smell different when they come back from the nasty vet - perhaps a few more treats all round?

I am concerned as to what you mean regarding alternating inside and outside, as the weather (here at least) is getting colder at night time?

The boys are excited to see one another again, and this should settle down.
Did the vet not wish you to take Frank with Spencer for company/ bond?

I doubt the bond has broken, but keep an eye on it. Rabbits smell different when they come back from the nasty vet - perhaps a few more treats all round?

I am concerned as to what you mean regarding alternating inside and outside, as the weather (here at least) is getting colder at night time?

So, they are outside rabbits, but the vet suggested that we bring him inside occasionally to help keep his body temperature up.

Sounded a bit strange to me, as the change in temperature won’t help him, he’s outside at the moment and seems to be coping ok.

I’ll be putting their thermal cover back on today and make sure they have plenty of straw in their bed etc.

So, they are outside rabbits, but the vet suggested that we bring him inside occasionally to help keep his body temperature up.

Sounded a bit strange to me, as the change in temperature won’t help him, he’s outside at the moment and seems to be coping ok.

I’ll be putting their thermal cover back on today and make sure they have plenty of straw in their bed etc.

Yes I think if his home is mainly outside then he should stay there if possible.

This weather is a bit extreme, but I've been told that there will be some warmer weather on the way.
Today is quite cold though.

Back