• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lame bun - not sure what to do... advice needed! :(

MilliePops

New Kit
Hi all! :wave:

i'm new to forums so bare with me! :oops:

I've got a BEAUTIFUL 3-4yr old rescue lionhead who has the worst luck with his health. Earlier this year things got more serious than previously though when he all of a sudden lost the use of his back legs - Cue rushing to the vets where he was given Baytril, Panacur and pain killers for suspected E. Cuniculi. Overnight he improved but even after a full course of treatment, he never fully regained usage, but could get around happily.
Only a few weeks later he relapsed.. another trip to the vets, more medication including Baytril, Panacur, Metronidazole and pain killers (loxicom) 8 week course. He improves and regains usage of his legs.

And so it goes on and on... this cycle has continued since February. Each time his recovery is less than the time before and this time he isnt really improving at all. My vets have all been brilliant but are running out of options. He's had blood tests, urine tests and X-rays but nothing is showing as an obvious cause. :cry:

He's now basically paralysed and dragging his legs behind him which is causing wounds on his bum and tummy - another ailment for the list.
(dont worry, he gets bathed regularly and has sudocream and flystrike prevention plastered all over his legs, bum and tum to prevent urine scald and infections.)

Despite all of this, hes still actually a pretty happy bunny and not really showing any signs of sadness or discomfort (except when i'm having to touch his wounds!) so i'm reluctant to engage in conversations re. euthanasia... however, unfortunately i can't have the rabbits inside the house due to boyfriends allergies, so he is living in an adapted outdoor enclosure with his brother, but i'm concerned that this could make his conditions worse, particularly with the impending winter months.

So i guess the point of this thread is to ask:

1) Am I doing the right thing by continuing treatment or am I prolonging the inevitable?

2) Have any of you experienced a rabbit CT? It's been recommended as an option by the vets but i'm running out of money on the insurance so want to be sure its worth it before investing! (whoever said Rabbits were cheap pets clearly had no idea how to actually look after rabbits, amiright?!)

3) Have any of you tried rabbit wheelchairs? I've found a company in America which make them for a reasonable price and they seem to have a positive impact on disable buns.

4) Keeping him outdoors, what flooring would you recommend? At the moment he has access to a grass area and slabs but as mentioned above, hes getting wounds so not sure if theres a better solution.

This is loads to read (sorry! :oops:), I'm just hoping someone can give me some advice to help stop me feeling so overwhelmed, and to hopefully move towards a more suitable solution for my furbaby.

many thanks in advance xx

Hello

Firstly I am sorry to hear of your Rabbit's health problems. With regards to the blood tests, was a an EC Titre test included ? Some information about that can be found here :

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/e-cuniculi/

http://www.greendale.co.uk/cuniculi_disease.html

I will add my responses to your specific questions in bold red font ;

Hi all! :wave:

i'm new to forums so bare with me! :oops:

I've got a BEAUTIFUL 3-4yr old rescue lionhead who has the worst luck with his health. Earlier this year things got more serious than previously though when he all of a sudden lost the use of his back legs - Cue rushing to the vets where he was given Baytril, Panacur and pain killers for suspected E. Cuniculi. Overnight he improved but even after a full course of treatment, he never fully regained usage, but could get around happily.
Only a few weeks later he relapsed.. another trip to the vets, more medication including Baytril, Panacur, Metronidazole and pain killers (loxicom) 8 week course. He improves and regains usage of his legs.

And so it goes on and on... this cycle has continued since February. Each time his recovery is less than the time before and this time he isnt really improving at all. My vets have all been brilliant but are running out of options. He's had blood tests, urine tests and X-rays but nothing is showing as an obvious cause. :cry:

He's now basically paralysed and dragging his legs behind him which is causing wounds on his bum and tummy - another ailment for the list.
(dont worry, he gets bathed regularly and has sudocream and flystrike prevention plastered all over his legs, bum and tum to prevent urine scald and infections.)

Despite all of this, hes still actually a pretty happy bunny and not really showing any signs of sadness or discomfort (except when i'm having to touch his wounds!) so i'm reluctant to engage in conversations re. euthanasia... however, unfortunately i can't have the rabbits inside the house due to boyfriends allergies, so he is living in an adapted outdoor enclosure with his brother, but i'm concerned that this could make his conditions worse, particularly with the impending winter months.

So i guess the point of this thread is to ask:

1) Am I doing the right thing by continuing treatment or am I prolonging the inevitable?- It is impossible to judge your specific situation as what one Rabbit can cope with as far as disability and hands on care are concerned may be too much for another Rabbit. Only the people who 'know' the specific Rabbit are really in a position to see the full picture. This link may be useful to read :

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/quality-of-life.html

2) Have any of you experienced a rabbit CT? It's been recommended as an option by the vets but i'm running out of money on the insurance so want to be sure its worth it before investing! (whoever said Rabbits were cheap pets clearly had no idea how to actually look after rabbits, amiright?!) There is no guarantee that a CT scan will reveal any information that could provide additional treatment options. But it is a more detailed diagnostic tool than an Xray

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwKCBrYdkJc

Rabbits are cheap and easy to look after........................when one does so badly !

3) Have any of you tried rabbit wheelchairs? I've found a company in America which make them for a reasonable price and they seem to have a positive impact on disable buns.

Again it will depend on the individual Rabbit and the specific nature/cause of their disabilities

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/wheelchairs.html

4) Keeping him outdoors, what flooring would you recommend? At the moment he has access to a grass area and slabs but as mentioned above, hes getting wounds so not sure if theres a better solution.

Stable matting is a possible option.

https://equifloor.co.uk/

However, personally I would not keep a paralysed Rabbit outdoors, but I acknowledge that you are having to do so. My concern in winter would be the high risk of hypothermia as a result of them being immobile and possibly often damp from urine soaked fur.

This is loads to read (sorry! :oops:), I'm just hoping someone can give me some advice to help stop me feeling so overwhelmed, and to hopefully move towards a more suitable solution for my furbaby.

many thanks in advance xx

Finally, these links are worth a read, if you have not already seen them :

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Differentials/paresis.htm

https://www.dechra.co.uk/therapy-ar...cs-antifungals/disease-information/e-cuniculi

https://www.dovepress.com/encephali...-manageme-peer-reviewed-fulltext-article-VMRR

As an additional/complementary treatment Physiotherapy, Acupuncture and cold laser therapy are options. My Vet offers the treatments for disabled Rabbits.

Very best wishes for your Bunny x

Back