• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Oxbow Joint Support Tablets

No, they won't do any harm if they're eaten and not needed. We checked with our vet because our girls share the pellet bowl and that was the only way we could initially get Thumper to eat them - by mixing one broken up with the pellets and of course that meant Coco would eat it too. Vet said that was perfectly fine.

Turns out it actually benefited Coco anyway as she was eventually diagnosed with arthritis herself so needed it anyway!

Idk, I worry about her, and her legs, and she's always on the heavy side... And Idk what to do, and I worry she'll suffer as she gets older.

She doesn't move a lot, and I wonder if it's because she's heavy... In pain... Or just lazy.. Don't get me wrong she seems totally fine in herself, she's just always laying down, not very active.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

You have similar anxieties to me although it doesn't sound like either of us have any evidence that raises alarm bells.

I worry Mouse's spine will suffer from spending her salad years in a tiny guinea pig cage :( And I worry her mobility will go & she won't be able to escape Boo's chases. At the moment I don't mind the odd chase - its the most exercise she gets & to be fair she is pretty fast & steady when she needs to be.

One thing I've noticed lately (past 2 weeks) is Mouse has started to almost sploof for the first time in 2 years. They are pretty rubbish sploofs so far but thats not the point. One theory is that the sploofs are a result of her joints feeling better on the tablets, the other theory is Toby Sploof Meister is coaching her from above. I like both theories

Idk, I worry about her, and her legs, and she's always on the heavy side... And Idk what to do, and I worry she'll suffer as she gets older.

She doesn't move a lot, and I wonder if it's because she's heavy... In pain... Or just lazy.. Don't get me wrong she seems totally fine in herself, she's just always laying down, not very active.

If your gut instinct is that they are needed and that she should take them, then I would give them without hesitation :)

If your gut instinct is that they are needed and that she should take them, then I would give them without hesitation :)
I'm not really sure what my gut instinct is, I mean if taking them for a long time will do her no harm then that's fine I guess, just wouldn't wanna give them and they cause her other problems, you know? :)

How much does Clementine weigh cmpared to Atticus? I have a small amount of experience with Arthritis in rabbits, but I have an lot of experience and have done lots of research in Arthritis in humans. One of the most important areas where a difference can be made is in whether the rabbit or human is overweight. If they are overweight then they tend to move less, so the muscles are less strong, which results in them not supporting the skeleton. It becomes a viscious circle. In my view the best weapons we have against Arthritis are weight management and exercise.

It might be that Clementine is not significantly overweight, but if she is it is something I would be seriously considering trying to rectify.

How much does Clementine weigh cmpared to Atticus? I have a small amount of experience with Arthritis in rabbits, but I have an lot of experience and have done lots of research in Arthritis in humans. One of the most important areas where a difference can be made is in whether the rabbit or human is overweight. If they are overweight then they tend to move less, so the muscles are less strong, which results in them not supporting the skeleton. It becomes a viscious circle. In my view the best weapons we have against Arthritis are weight management and exercise.

It might be that Clementine is not significantly overweight, but if she is it is something I would be seriously considering trying to rectify.
Hes 3 kg and she's 3.6 kg - but she looks massive! Her body makes her head look tiny [emoji38] she was predicted to be 3.6kg her dad was 4kg.. So they were big buns.. Atticus was the runt and always smaller. But I worry about how lazy she is honestly and after her knee ops I'm always concerned that she'll suffer as she gets older.

Maybe that's just me worrying unnecessarily though? I don't know much about arthritis, but the op consisted of cutting a deeper groove into the bone on both knees, as she has two very shallow ones instead of the normal one groove. Then pulling the knee cap over into the right place and stitching it into place...? They didn't pin the knees as they were worried about rabbits bones being fragile. It was just such a major op, she's recovered so so well, I mean she went from being unable to walk, and her legs being at a funny angle, to be able to do everything a normal bun could do, you'd never know watching her move! I just worry that it'll impact her in the long run? :(

Hes 3 kg and she's 3.6 kg - but she looks massive! Her body makes her head look tiny [emoji38] she was predicted to be 3.6kg her dad was 4kg.. So they were big buns.. Atticus was the runt and always smaller. But I worry about how lazy she is honestly and after her knee ops I'm always concerned that she'll suffer as she gets older.

Maybe that's just me worrying unnecessarily though? I don't know much about arthritis, but the op consisted of cutting a deeper groove into the bone on both knees, as she has two very shallow ones instead of the normal one groove. Then pulling the knee cap over into the right place and stitching it into place...? They didn't pin the knees as they were worried about rabbits bones being fragile. It was just such a major op, she's recovered so so well, I mean she went from being unable to walk, and her legs being at a funny angle, to be able to do everything a normal bun could do, you'd never know watching her move! I just worry that it'll impact her in the long run? :(

Tethra is almost 8 years old and 3.5kg and does not look overweight. Having had his Mum, Tan, with Arthritis (at around 3kg), which presented itself when she was around 7 years old, I try to get him to move a lot and Tui has been a great help with this. I think it's often been suggested that any breaks or operations on bones will make them more susceptible to Arthritis.

Tethra is almost 8 years old and 3.5kg and does not look overweight. Having had his Mum, Tan, with Arthritis (at around 3kg), which presented itself when she was around 7 years old, I try to get him to move a lot and Tui has been a great help with this. I think it's often been suggested that any breaks or operations on bones will make them more susceptible to Arthritis.
Yea I think my issue is, she looks overweight for her.. And yes that was my fear tbh

I'm not really sure what my gut instinct is, I mean if taking them for a long time will do her no harm then that's fine I guess, just wouldn't wanna give them and they cause her other problems, you know? :)

I looked up reviews on Glucosamine, and found this:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/the-latest-on-glucosaminechondroitin-supplements-2016101710391

I would consult with William, and/or find out first whether she actually has any problems with her limbs (X-rays etc)

He's coming back, yes? It's not urgent, is it?
The other lady vet (who's name isn't Avon but I can't remember now!) could do it?
Yea I think so, tbh I haven't been to the vets in a while now so I'm not sure haha. No not urgent, I'ma call soon for vaccinations for the velvets so they aren't so on top of Xmas anyway so will try to get appointment with him for that to discuss.

Yea Ivone is great too, I'd prefer to discuss this with William though I think if possible as he did her op etc but I think Ivone did this same op for another rabbit recently but she pinned it too, so she may know also :)

Often wonder if I should write something up for what happened so it's clearer rather than some long thread, but then it's probably a really rare thing to happen anyway [emoji38] Idk if the other rabbit survived it, but it was lucky they found that vets as they had all of the stuff from Clementine recorded :)

Back