• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Aggressive mother rabbit

DAS

New Kit
My rabbit (who used to be friendly) had babies last month. The babies are hopping around the pen but the mother will not let anyone get near them. She is very aggressive - to the point that we are scared to open the pen. I would like the babies to grow up used to people and for the mother rabbit to be friendly again. I would appreciate any advice.

I believe some rabbits do become over-protective when they have babies. How old are the babies and do you have children around?

The babies are four weeks old and we do have children, but no one can get close to the bunnies. Two days ago I approached the pen to feed her and she leapt about two and a half feet high and attacked the wire of the pen.

Sorry these questions might sound silly but do you approach her hutch with no children around. Some rabbits, especially if they come from previous homes, are very scared of children which have probably treated them badly. How are you managing to clean the hutch out and feed her etc?

I am approaching her on my own. I can reach over the top of one of the other rabbits pens to feed her and am not cleaning the hutch right now, but putting in more hay to keep it nice for them. It is about a foot thick now.

The problem seems to have resolved itself this weekend. I opened the pen to feed her and she came up to be petted.

Back