• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Phillip has been thumping ALL night.

nap91

Mama Doe
I’m shattered, barely slept. I don’t know what could be causing it.
My husband held his nan’s dog yesterday (not in our house) and that’s when we noticed the stomping so at first we thought it was that. He changed his clothes and showered, Phillip stopped for a bit. Then he started again but we realised he’d walked near my husband’s shoes, which had been laid all over by the dog. We moved the shoes and he was absolutely fine for hours.

Went to bed, got woken up at 1am with my husband panicking because he was worried about Phillip as he was darting everywhere and stomping.

We put the radio on with calm quiet music, we made extra places to hide, we gave him his favourite treats...still thumping. In the end we covered up his cage area with towels then went back to bed. Got woken up throughout the night with him thumping.

Just been woken up again by him thumping as my alarms went off. I’m sat with him at the moment. He’s still eating and our other rabbit is absolutely fine. He’s still eating and toileting and otherwise fine as far as I can tell. Just won’t stop thumping.

Can anyone shed any light? I’m worried it could be something to do with his heart condition?! :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not as far as I’m aware. Can’t see or hear anything myself.

That is quite a lengthy stomping session. I hope Phillip settles soon. I've not always been able to tell what has upset my stompers

How's Phillip Now? In my experience rabbits thump when they are worried or scared by something, although several times I've never found the cause. Tui, despite her size, will often get very scared by something and fly into the shed and thump, but not for a long period though. I was once woken at night by her thumping. She's outside, but she has large feet :lol: I came downstairs and went outside, but couldn't see any problems. She stopped when I was there, but started again as soon as I got indoors again.

I hope he settles soon.

Archie thumped for hrs after I came home smelling of dog. He wouldn't stop even after I got changed. It was a particularly smelly old dog.

I see dogs all the time at work and he's normally fine, but this one doggy smell really upset him. So maybe it was just the smell that upset your bun.

We often "search" for danger at bunny level on our hands and knees. Checking behind cushions etc and it seems to calm him down if he can see us "helping" ....

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the replies - really helpful and interesting.

He seems much calmer today thankfully. My husband had the day off work and they seem to have spent much of it relaxing together :lol: Phillip has obviously felt happy and safe though which is good.

One of my friends suggested that perhaps he can hear mice in the cavities. I hope not but that would make sense. I’m really hoping it was just the dog smell and we can have a peaceful sleep tonight!

186f2a6c409c5556acd407925171f2ee.jpg

58ae52d1e538d97d2f9d08061b750a7f.jpg

If its any reassurance toby was never a stamper. Maple is the phantom stamper. We used to take it in turns getting up in the night and bought foam flooring. I think they hear things outside our hooman ears cannot!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

My buns are scared of motorbikes, the ignition clicker on our hob, coins rattling (like a tin of change) and owls! But we found the best thing is a distraction like a treat, some background bunny chill out music and ACTING NORMALLY. If you start panicking and acting differently, your pet will pick up on that. If I tell Perry and Calloway "don't be daft, it's just a motorbike" and carry on, they look to me and go "oh, my dad isn't scared....". I hope Phillip chilled out in the end!

Dennis has one mortal enemy.... THE JINGLY JANGLY CAR KEYS OF DOOM

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Bunnies are so funny! Interesting what sets them off!
Phillip was fine the next day, very strange.

We often "search" for danger at bunny level on our hands and knees. Checking behind cushions etc and it seems to calm him down if he can see us "helping" ....

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Thanks for this tip! My husband said Phillip looked a bit startled after I left for work this morning so he tried this tip before any stomping started and Phillip went straight back to normal! :lol:

Back