• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baytril, Isathal, Respiratory Problem

Awful weekend for bunny and bun-mum. I split our time between my parents house and university, my dear bunny is fine with this and it doesnt stress him out, i monitor him very carefully etc. to ensure he is safe and happy.
This time however, two days before my partner and I are due to move into pur flat, he comes down with a runny eye and possible Respiratory infection (runny eye, sneezing, wheezing, otherwise very happy and binking). He was prescribed a week or baytril mouth 'injections' and eye drops of Isathal. He absolutely hated these and i had no choice to take him with me to my new flat early to ensure he got the medication correctly and was properly cared for.
He has eaten a little bit, some bites of banana and baby corn, a bunch of mint and some dandilions, no pellets or much else, tried to get his favourites to get him interested but just seems very sulky.
He has drunk a lot of water and has peed a lot.
Is this something i should be concerned about? My partner thinks i am being overly protective however i am just very anxious about my baby.
- Is a lessening of appetite a usual side effect and if so how should this be tackled?
I am monitoring him overnight to ensure he is safe and well. He is in a quiet space which he seems to be happy in and doesnt seem alarmed or scared, apart from the hateful grumpy glances he gives me cause by the baytril!

Sorry to hear about your bunny.
One of my rabbits doesn't tolerate Baytril well at all, her appetite decreases to the point where she often goes into stasis (although she's a very sensitive bunny anyway).
Hopefully it's just where he is sulking but definitely keep an eye on the appetite and his output. If he stops eating, or output decreases (or before if you're concerned) I'd get him to the vets.
Hoping he perks up soon x

Awful weekend for bunny and bun-mum. I split our time between my parents house and university, my dear bunny is fine with this and it doesnt stress him out, i monitor him very carefully etc. to ensure he is safe and happy.
This time however, two days before my partner and I are due to move into pur flat, he comes down with a runny eye and possible Respiratory infection (runny eye, sneezing, wheezing, otherwise very happy and binking). He was prescribed a week or baytril mouth 'injections' and eye drops of Isathal. He absolutely hated these and i had no choice to take him with me to my new flat early to ensure he got the medication correctly and was properly cared for.
He has eaten a little bit, some bites of banana and baby corn, a bunch of mint and some dandilions, no pellets or much else, tried to get his favourites to get him interested but just seems very sulky.
Is this something i should be concerned about? My partner thinks i am being overly protective however i am just very anxious about my baby.
- Is a lessening of appetite a usual side effect and if so how should this be tackled?
I am monitoring him overnight to ensure he is safe and well. He is in a quiet space which he seems to be happy in and doesnt seem alarmed or scared, apart from the hateful grumpy glances he gives me cause by the baytril!

Baytril can cause inappetence, usually starting after a few days of treatment. However, a Bunny feeling under the weather with an RTI may go off their food whether on Baytril or not. Also, did the Vet check Bunny's teeth ? Respiratory Tract symptoms can develop as a secondary problem. So the lack of eating may be due to Bunny having a sore mouth as opposed to because of the RTI/Baytril.

It is very important that Bunny keeps eating and pooing to try to prevent gut slow down/gut stasis. Sometimes additional gut motility medication may be needed alongside syringe feeding. It is also often necessary for the Rabbit to be prescribed a non steroidal anti-inflammatory analgesic such as Metacam to reduce inflammation that occurs as a result of an RTI.

Some info about gut stasis here:

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

Some info about RTIs here :

http://www.veterinarywebinars.com/m...oads/2016/03/Study_Notes_Ear_Nose_Rabbits.pdf

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Respiratory/Bacterial/URI.htm

And just incase your Bunny does have any Dental problems, he may not but they are frequently seen in Rabbits presenting with a runny eye/snotty nose :

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Differential/Rabbit_dentistry.pdf

If Bunny is still not interested in food and/or if his poo output is very poor I'd contact your Vet again ASAP today for some additional advice. Good luck and I hope that Bunny feels better soon :)

Hi there :wave:

I'm sorry to hear about your bun.

These things can flare up when the immune system gets low.

Baytril can affect some (but not all) rabbits in this way, and in addition it tastes vile, so it really doesn't want to make them be your friend any more!

I am more concerned about the not-eating, which if left can turn into a problem of it's own, as you probably know. Have you see the info here, which might be useful?

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/ROWinter10p7.pdf

I also use Infacol (infant gas meds) which is fine alongside anything the vet gives.
One ml every three hours for three doses.
Sometimes it can be a life saver for buns.

I give rose leaves, bramble leaves and fresh picked grass for stasis. Also herbs can sometimes whet the appetite .. coriander, parsley and dill are faves.

As far as the possible respiratory infection goes, I should discuss with the vet using Bisolvon. It's a mucolytic and it thins mucous so that it passes really easily and does scar the delicate nasal tissue. I also nebulise, but that's probably a step too far for you at the moment?

I find this article contains loads of good info and it's helped me in the past:

http://www.veterinarywebinars.com/m...oads/2016/03/Study_Notes_Ear_Nose_Rabbits.pdf

Good luck - keep us posted x

Thank you all for your advise, i took him to a different vet and they were absolutely amazing. Apparently he only had very light stasis... Since he was still drinking and didnt seem to be in pain along with various other checks she performed.
He was given various meds to get his tummy moving again, which worked! Turns out his most hated thing is having his mouth fiddled with, the critical care probably ended up equally on me, on the wall and in the rabbit!
He is back to normal now ahile being closely monitored! Phew!

Thank you all for your advise, i took him to a different vet and they were absolutely amazing. Apparently he only had very light stasis... Since he was still drinking and didnt seem to be in pain along with various other checks she performed.
He was given various meds to get his tummy moving again, which worked! Turns out his most hated thing is having his mouth fiddled with, the critical care probably ended up equally on me, on the wall and in the rabbit!

What a relief ! I hope he remains well now x

You'rev we welcome!

This is really good news. I hope he continues to be well :)

Back