• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit keeps eating plastic

Cute bunnies

Young Bun
My rabbit, Georgina has been eating the plastic rain cover of the hutch. She is fine and is acting normal, and eating normally to. Her poo looks normal to, but that's difficult to tell because she lives with my other rabbit (her sister), Millie. She seems fine, but she keeps eating the plastic. Should I be worried?:?:|

she really shouldn't be eating it, its not good for her and could cause a blockage.

rabbits just like to chew, some are destroyers. you'll need to keep it out of her reach so she can't chew it anymore.

I've tried to stop her by putting a something I thought was heavy on the top of the place where she nibble, but she just pushed it away. :wave:

Do they have plenty of hay to eat?

Yes, they have fresh hay every morning and evening. They eat it all.

She goes under the cover now (she thinks it is some sort of tunnel!:lol:) and she has started to eat the fabric on the other side now :roll:. But she is still acting OK, so I don't know whether it IS something to worry about now, though I know she shouldn't be eating that stuff.

Last edited:
Is it tauroaulin type cover? Could you not try a different type of weather cover maybe perplex sheeting for when hutch needs covering

Well, this is the type of hutch and cover I have:
416S6hREECL._SX355_.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I am starting to worry less because I don't think she is actually swallowing it.In fact I'm not sure. She is still OK and is starting to stop chewing, but she might might start again.:?

Yes, they have fresh hay every morning and evening. They eat it all.

She goes under the cover now (she thinks it is some sort of tunnel!:lol:) and she has started to eat the fabric on the other side now :roll:. But she is still acting OK, so I don't know whether it IS something to worry about now, though I know she shouldn't be eating that stuff.

Do you only supply hay in the morning and evening? You really should leave them hay 24 hours a day, not just give them a pile in a morning, and another pile of an evening. She could be bored through simply not having enough hay to eat which is why she has taken to chewing the plastic, so a simple suggestion is, put loads of hay in for them to play with, eat, and nest in (even if they are neutered they will still nest) and see what happens. You need to break the habit of chewing plastic as soon as possible, because even with lots of hay to eat if she is of the mindset of chewing plastic now, that's it, done and dusted.

Our girls have a foot thick of hay in both their shed and run, permanently, plus a hay rack in their hutch which is in the shed. We just add fresh hay to it when it starts to look a bit tatty - I put some in this morning, oddly enough. Adding hay on top of "old" hay just makes the older hay an insulation layer really, if they're outside rabbits, plus it helps protect their hocks against becoming sore.

But to be honest, it sounds like your bun is bored and not having enough hay so my advice would be to give them permanent access to hay, and not just give them some morning and night :).

Don't worry, I have solved the problem! Got a new cover and she isn't chewing it at all OR going under it! Case closed (for now!) :D

Do you only supply hay in the morning and evening? You really should leave them hay 24 hours a day, not just give them a pile in a morning, and another pile of an evening. She could be bored through simply not having enough hay to eat which is why she has taken to chewing the plastic, so a simple suggestion is, put loads of hay in for them to play with, eat, and nest in (even if they are neutered they will still nest) and see what happens. You need to break the habit of chewing plastic as soon as possible, because even with lots of hay to eat if she is of the mindset of chewing plastic now, that's it, done and dusted.

Our girls have a foot thick of hay in both their shed and run, permanently, plus a hay rack in their hutch which is in the shed. We just add fresh hay to it when it starts to look a bit tatty - I put some in this morning, oddly enough. Adding hay on top of "old" hay just makes the older hay an insulation layer really, if they're outside rabbits, plus it helps protect their hocks against becoming sore.

But to be honest, it sounds like your bun is bored and not having enough hay so my advice would be to give them permanent access to hay, and not just give them some morning and night :).

She only really chewed it to get inside under the cover. As for the boredom, I give them hay during the day too and give them lots of attention! They have a BIG chicken run with their hutch inside it, so I don't really think its boredom. Also she went under there usaully so the wind couldn't blow her fur about, he-he! https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...MOX6wzJpbSAR2WVHYILfttsA7VhyXMYJL1-wGW-nLfqRQ

OK, she has started nibbling that one too.:roll: but I have put a box with a small heavy stone inside it so she cannot push it away. :)

Back