Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: New 'Indoor' Excel pellets - anyone seen them? What do you think?

  1. #1

    Default New 'Indoor' Excel pellets - anyone seen them? What do you think?

    Just had an e-mail from Burgess with their new product, 'indoor rabbit' pellets. Has anyone seen them? What do you think of the ingredients etc?
    While the idea of 'indoor' pellets amused me initially I was quite excited to see see that they claim to be 40% fibre. My lot are currently on Fibafirst but I know they'd much prefer pellets (we sometimes use normal Excel or SS as treats) - I get the feeling they'd love this. Do the ingredients all sound okay?

    Tasty Dandelion - added to each nugget to make them extra tasty.
    Prebiotics - to support the immune system & healthy gut bacteria.
    40% Beneficial Fibre - a measure of the digestible and indigestible fibre that's essential in your rabbits' diet.
    Vitamin D - just as important for rabbits as it is for you, to help support healthy skin , teeth and bones.
    Vitamins & Minerals - nettle and dandelion are great sources of vitamins and minerals which help support all round health.

    -----

    Analytical Constituents
    Beneficial Fibre (40%) Crude Protein (14%) Crude Fat (4%) Crude Fibre (20%) Crude Ash (6%).

    Composition
    Grass Wheat Oat Feed Soya Bean Hulls* Sunflowerseed Meal Yeast Soya Oil* Minerals Short-chained fructo-oligosaccharides (0.25%) Dandelion (0.2%) Nettle (0.2%).

    ----

    Link: https://shop.burgesspetcare.com/rabb..._medium=email&
    utm_term=0_6a2e233a79-1ebf495403-221973109

  2. #2
    Moderator Graciee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,720

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ~ILoveMyBunny~ View Post
    Just had an e-mail from Burgess with their new product, 'indoor rabbit' pellets. Has anyone seen them? What do you think of the ingredients etc?
    While the idea of 'indoor' pellets amused me initially I was quite excited to see see that they claim to be 40% fibre. My lot are currently on Fibafirst but I know they'd much prefer pellets (we sometimes use normal Excel or SS as treats) - I get the feeling they'd love this. Do the ingredients all sound okay?

    Tasty Dandelion - added to each nugget to make them extra tasty.
    Prebiotics - to support the immune system & healthy gut bacteria.
    40% Beneficial Fibre - a measure of the digestible and indigestible fibre that's essential in your rabbits' diet.
    Vitamin D - just as important for rabbits as it is for you, to help support healthy skin , teeth and bones.
    Vitamins & Minerals - nettle and dandelion are great sources of vitamins and minerals which help support all round health.

    -----

    Analytical Constituents
    Beneficial Fibre (40%) Crude Protein (14%) Crude Fat (4%) Crude Fibre (20%) Crude Ash (6%).

    Composition
    Grass Wheat Oat Feed Soya Bean Hulls* Sunflowerseed Meal Yeast Soya Oil* Minerals Short-chained fructo-oligosaccharides (0.25%) Dandelion (0.2%) Nettle (0.2%).

    ----

    Link: https://shop.burgesspetcare.com/rabb..._medium=email&
    utm_term=0_6a2e233a79-1ebf495403-221973109
    I'm hoping someone will say I'm wrong...

    But I thought the beneficial fibre was irrelevant? And a marketing thing? And that the crude fibre was all I was meant to be looking at?

    Excel are the only company I found with beneficial fibre listed as a thing...

    Hoping someone who knows what they're talking about can comment on this, because I'm potentially very interested

    Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Graciee; 01-10-2018 at 04:50 PM.

  3. #3
    Mama Doe binkyCodie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    in my blanket fort - with the bunnies
    Posts
    1,788

    Default

    ofc this comes out the day after I buy a 5kg bag of pellet

    beneficial fibre is just a marketing ploy, its just fibre.
    Snoopy : 14.02.15 - 12.05.17 [mini rex]👑Luna : 14.02.15 [rex]👑Orion : 21.10.17 [mini rex]

  4. #4
    Mama Doe loobers25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    3,786

    Default

    I'm a bit wary of excel nuggets, none of my bunnies have ever really tolerated them well. Prehaps it's the yeast ingredient, but I do find excess cecos with nearly all of my bunnys that where on it.

    Added vitamin D as a good idea although I know the normal stuff does vitamin D as I checked in the past

    Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

    Bam & Charlie

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    I'm hoping someone will say I'm wrong...

    But I thought the beneficial fibre was irrelevant? And a marketing thing? And that the crude fibre was all I was meant to be looking at?
    Oh, I think you might be right. That sounds familiar to me too Been so long since I looked into different brands I'd forgotten.


    Quote Originally Posted by loobers25 View Post
    I'm a bit wary of excel nuggets, none of my bunnies have ever really tolerated them well. Prehaps it's the yeast ingredient, but I do find excess cecos with nearly all of my bunnys that where on it.
    Mine seem to have been okay when I've used Excel in the past but it's not my first choice. I think SS pellets had a slightly higher fibre content iirc so I went with them until I found out about Fibafirst, then I swapped them to that.
    I have three in particular who I have to be very careful with (and Honey has had the odd issue so could be a fourth to that list ) so I don't know, maybe it's best not to chance it.
    And now that you mention it I think excess cecals might have been a problem with ours too on excel. My little Pixel adores them, though

  6. #6
    Moderator Graciee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,720

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by loobers25 View Post
    I'm a bit wary of excel nuggets, none of my bunnies have ever really tolerated them well. Prehaps it's the yeast ingredient, but I do find excess cecos with nearly all of my bunnys that where on it.

    Added vitamin D as a good idea although I know the normal stuff does vitamin D as I checked in the past

    Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
    Yea everyone says that about excel! I've always fed it, so 7 buns is all I've owned in total and all have been absolutely fine on it! Even Atticus and his funny stomach, which when he first got... I was convinced excel would be a mistake moving forward, but he's fine on them haha

    Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Wise Old Thumper SarahP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    31,706

    Default

    I'm just comparing the foods on the website. There is more vitamin D in the indoor one...
    Sarah.

    RIP Dusty and Clover bunnies xxx
    Misty and Pearl guinea pigs
    Basil hamster

  8. #8
    Moderator Graciee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,720

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ~ILoveMyBunny~ View Post
    Oh, I think you might be right. That sounds familiar to me too Been so long since I looked into different brands I'd forgotten.




    Mine seem to have been okay when I've used Excel in the past but it's not my first choice. I think SS pellets had a slightly higher fibre content iirc so I went with them until I found out about Fibafirst, then I swapped them to that.
    I have three in particular who I have to be very careful with (and Honey has had the odd issue so could be a fourth to that list ) so I don't know, maybe it's best not to chance it.
    And now that you mention it I think excess cecals might have been a problem with ours too on excel. My little Pixel adores them, though
    If you or anyone wants to try some excel pellets, just shout, happy to send a baggy, I buy everything in bulk

    Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    Yea everyone says that about excel! I've always fed it, so 7 buns is all I've owned in total and all have been absolutely fine on it! Even Atticus and his funny stomach, which when he first got... I was convinced excel would be a mistake moving forward, but he's fine on them haha

    Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
    Well that's bunnies for you - no two can ever be the same, the little pains What works for one doesn't always work for another. Typical.

    I've just had a google myself, looks like you're right in it being their marketing term. I've tried contacting them to ask for the crude fibre content but I'm not holding my breath; I dare say I'll get a marketing term reply. But hey, can't hurt to ask.

  10. #10
    Mama Doe binkyCodie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    in my blanket fort - with the bunnies
    Posts
    1,788

    Default

    theres more vitamin D in the indoor one as indoor rabbits won't get as much vitamin D as outdoor rabbits, which is true.

    many say "a rabbit sitting by a window would get the benefits of the sun" - no they won't. glass blocks out the wavelengths needed for vitamin D.. you can still get a tan, but you won't get vitamin D. the same would apply to rabbits.

    https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a6895626.html
    https://www.sciencefocus.com/the-hum...ough-a-window/
    https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy...from-sunlight/

    so it is possible that indoor rabbits aren't getting enough sunlight.

    HOWEVER with a good quality pellet (the normal burgess excel or science selective) their vitamin D needs would be met. other pellet brands I can't comment on, the reason why SS and burgess is the best is not just due to the fibre content, what its made of, the additives (or lack of), its the fact that they aren't extruded pellet. I do believe almost all other pellets are extruded, so they lose a lot of nutrients..

    as for "fibre" or "beneficial fibre" its just a marketing ploy. all fibre is beneficial fibre, there is no such thing as beneficial fibre.
    Snoopy : 14.02.15 - 12.05.17 [mini rex]👑Luna : 14.02.15 [rex]👑Orion : 21.10.17 [mini rex]

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •