• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why won't my bunnies use the litter tray.

Lucydeprez

New Kit
So I got my male rabbit first and he use to use his corner litter tray until I introduced my female rabbit to him, this was before they was both neutered as they was both too young at the time. They both started using a bigger litter tray in a different area. I got my male neutered and everything was fine, when I got my female spayed I changed their housing to a shed with their hutch inside, I put the litter tray back where they was using it but then one of them started going elsewhere so I out another litter tray in that spot, but still no joy. They seem to be going for wees and poos in front of their food bowls, so I moved the food bowls and put the litter tray in that spot but still where I moved the food bowls to they decided to wee and poo there instead. Please help, they are messy little *******. I have wood shavings and hay in their litter boxes.

This happened with me too when I first got my bunnies! I put the litter tray in a corner of the hutch, but they decided that that wasn't what they had in in mind to do their business. They hardly used the thing! I moved somewhere else, then they pooped just where the tray was, and I put it back there and so on. They lived inside the garage then, but now they live outside on the lawn in a big secure run. They chose a corner of that to poop in and they started using the litter tray too :D. Maybe you could put another litter tray somewhere else, or train them to use the tray. This website might be a bit of use as well: http://blog.rabbitholehay.com/Why_Your_Rabbit_Wont_Poop_in_Litter_box

Hope that I have been a help. (Bunnies do seem to poop wherever they want!) :lol:

Thank you, I have got 2 litter trays for them, one where they use to go and the other near the food bowls as there's where they was pooing and weeing, I've also tried putting poo and wee inside the litter tray but still doesn't work.
Do you think if I move the bowls out of the hutch this will help or will they just poo there? Lol its so annoying they are right messy *******, I cleaned them out a few hours ago and it's already covered in poo and wee ��

My boys poo where ever they have hay, if you find they only poo eating foid, put the food bowls next to their trays. Make sure you give a nice mix of hay and there's lots of it. I never give animals wood shavings as they can cause allergies and irritation, paper is a bit kinder.

Last edited:
My boys poo where ever they have hay, if you find they only poo eating foid, put the food bowls next to their trays. Make sure you give a nice mix of hay and there's lots of it. I never give animals wood shavings as they can cause allergies and irritation, paper is a bit kinder.

This :thumb: rabbits love to eat and poop. The other thing to try is a larger litter tray, low under bed storage boxes are good, especially for pairs and groups. I use wood pellet cat litter under the hay.

The other thing is keeping the rest of the floor clear of substrate, easier to clean and makes it clearer where the toilet is!

If you clean up wees and neutralise the spot with vinegar/water mixed 50/50 it dissuades then from reusing that place. If they are persistent though, sometimes it’s necessary to put extra trays where they go the most

Back