• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Rabbits

Kenturner

New Kit
Hi, having just got a couple of baby rabbits for the kids (honestly) i’v Done lots of research etc. But can’t find the answer to one question and I hope that someone can help, I have a hutch which is two levels with an enclosure below and ‘sleeping quarters’ upstairs with a sliding door, should i lock the rabbits in the sleeping quarters at night (they go there to sleep anyway) or will they be fine having full roam of the hutch ?

It depends on your garden ie do you get foxes coming in or cats. If your hutch is at ground level the fox etc could go right up to the hutch and scare your rabbits to death! So it is always good to have the hutch off the ground by at least 18". Also if you are in UK it is too damp at ground level most of the year. The rabbits should be fine with the whole of the hutch - I have never come across one with a sliding door - surely the hay will get stuck in the groove? It is important that you get your bunnies vaccinated as hundreds are dying from RHD2, they also need vaccinating against Myxomatosis and RHD1, a combined vaccine. Do you know which sex they are? There is so much to learn about rabbits and I hope you don't think they are just for children and are not important as they are just like cats and dogs. We have some very knowledgeable members on this forum and if you are on Facebook there is UK Rabbits, so there is a plethora of information to hand to help you to care for your 2 rabbits properly.

Rabbits do need a lot of space, they should have permanent access to a hutch of minimum 6ftx2ft and an attached fox proof run (wood and weldmesh) of 8ft x 6ft. They will be very active even overnight. I never shut my rabbits away when I had outdoor rabbits.

It’s very important as tonibun said that you get them vaccinated, and they will need spaying/neutering too. If they are boy and girl you will need to separate them so they don’t breed before they are neutered/spayed.

Rabbits do need a lot of space, they should have permanent access to a hutch of minimum 6ftx2ft and an attached fox proof run (wood and weldmesh) of 8ft x 6ft. They will be very active even overnight. I never shut my rabbits away when I had outdoor rabbits.

It’s very important as tonibun said that you get them vaccinated, and they will need spaying/neutering too. If they are boy and girl you will need to separate them so they don’t breed before they are neutered/spayed.

Thanks for the advice, vet appointment is tomorrow who no doubt will tell me exactly what they need regards immunisations, i havn’t just jumped into this lightly without research i know the commitment and although they are pets for the kids i am taking responsibility for their wellbeing and will intervene if i think they are not being looked after properly, this was the only question I couldn’t find an answer to so thank you for answering it, i’m Pretty sure fox’s don’t come around where we live, it’s urban and in a fairly newly established area.

Yes the sliding door does get stuck with hay but i’v just been cleaning it out of the runners, i will tonight as that seems to be the general advice just leave the partition open, thanks

My four live in a shed with run (wood and weld mesh) attached. The shed is 6 x 6 and the run 7 x 5. You mention a two level hutch but what about a run?

Bet the children love them!

Back