• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Todays competition - Where's Hillian.....

Craig 1965

Warren Veteran
It's been one of those days here - not too hot, not too cold, not to sunny. After some too-ing and fro-ing first thing this morning, Hillian decided to go out in the garden. Lillian couldn't decide if she wantedto stay up the garden or stay in, so she kept coming down to the house, a quick check everyone was still here, then up to find Henry again. And that's fine when they sit in their usual spot. But Henry has been working on a new secret hiding place and after a while, I found the pair of them, all snuggled up nice & cosy.......

jsaqTXY.jpg
[/IMG]

I spy with my hooman eyed something beginning with H!

Clever camouflage buns

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Awhh!

You've gotta tell me... How do you stop them eating poisonous plants? [emoji38] And also foxes and cats? I wish I could do this here... But mine always seem to eat poisonous stuff any chance they get, maybe they're trying to tell me something [emoji849][emoji38] also there's so many predators here!

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Awhh!

You've gotta tell me... How do you stop them eating poisonous plants? [emoji38] And also foxes and cats? I wish I could do this here... But mine always seem to eat poisonous stuff any chance they get, maybe they're trying to tell me something [emoji849][emoji38] also there's so many predators here!

A very good question - and one that occupies my mind many times. Firstly, as far as I know, I don't have any poisonous plants - but if anyone on the forum spots any, please let me know. I have some stray blackberry threads that come from neighbours but mu buns never seem to bother with those. There's some ivy - again from neighbours, and some hawthorn (neighbours again). The garden has the odd bluebell which as far as I know, being a bulb, can be harmful but they've never been eaten by my buns. There's roses and I've got some blackcurrent and raspberry bushes which never get touched by the buns. There's a pear tree but they don't bother with that either. There's some triffids which I have no idea what, and a few flowers but the bunnies seem to know what to munch on and what not to.
Predators? Now, there's a interesting one. About 18 months ago, some local bird keeper about 30 miles away, lost his 'pet' falcon that never came back. That sort of bothered me and worried me about other rabbit keepers because it was not an indigenous species round here and I felt it was very reckless of the bird keeper to endanger other pets that would otherwise not get threatened. Foxes? We've heard of foxes in a village not far away - about 4-5 miles. They're urban and apparently they can climb or jump high fences. Our fences are 6 foot one side, and the other side with bushes and hawthorn, pretty impregnable. Cats have been an issue and I've been seen on a few occasions running up the garden waving my arms like a maniac as the odd one strayed into our garden and on one occasion was stalking my bridge buns Ben & Georgina (Ben was considerably larger than the cat but that wasn't stopping the cat). Thankfully and for reasons I don't know, the cats have ceased coming in the garden but there is at least one in the area.
I keep an eye on the garden and rabbits as much as I can and when it gets to 5-6pm, it's coming in time for the rabbits. Twighlight is the favorite time but also when they are at their most vulnerable so my duty is to protect them as much as I am capable of.

A very good question - and one that occupies my mind many times. Firstly, as far as I know, I don't have any poisonous plants - but if anyone on the forum spots any, please let me know. I have some stray blackberry threads that come from neighbours but mu buns never seem to bother with those. There's some ivy - again from neighbours, and some hawthorn (neighbours again). The garden has the odd bluebell which as far as I know, being a bulb, can be harmful but they've never been eaten by my buns. There's roses and I've got some blackcurrent and raspberry bushes which never get touched by the buns. There's a pear tree but they don't bother with that either. There's some triffids which I have no idea what, and a few flowers but the bunnies seem to know what to munch on and what not to.
Predators? Now, there's a interesting one. About 18 months ago, some local bird keeper about 30 miles away, lost his 'pet' falcon that never came back. That sort of bothered me and worried me about other rabbit keepers because it was not an indigenous species round here and I felt it was very reckless of the bird keeper to endanger other pets that would otherwise not get threatened. Foxes? We've heard of foxes in a village not far away - about 4-5 miles. They're urban and apparently they can climb or jump high fences. Our fences are 6 foot one side, and the other side with bushes and hawthorn, pretty impregnable. Cats have been an issue and I've been seen on a few occasions running up the garden waving my arms like a maniac as the odd one strayed into our garden and on one occasion was stalking my bridge buns Ben & Georgina (Ben was considerably larger than the cat but that wasn't stopping the cat). Thankfully and for reasons I don't know, the cats have ceased coming in the garden but there is at least one in the area.
I keep an eye on the garden and rabbits as much as I can and when it gets to 5-6pm, it's coming in time for the rabbits. Twighlight is the favorite time but also when they are at their most vulnerable so my duty is to protect them as much as I am capable of.
Ah that's super interesting :) I think my buns must be suicidal then, because they eat everything and anything they can get their hands on, it's ridiculous! Maybe it's because they're rexes and californian buns, but they aren't fussy and they eat and eat and eat [emoji38]

We have a fox den in the garden... So I guess that's why I see so many foxes... And we have so so many cats that hang out in the garden. The white buns were just out in the larger pen which is open topped, and I came out and a cat was stalking them.. The cat isn't scared of me though so I just had to pick it up and take it away [emoji38] maybe I live in a more built up area compared to you - who knows! But there's so many animals in the garden [emoji38] Clementine is very good at seeing predators off, she makes her self look even bigger than selhe already is, and I've seen her chase a cat away whilst Atticus hid in a hide once. I feel like it's a constant battle with cats, foxes and even birds sometimes - had a blackbird in the pen making noise at the buns before a few times. And what bothers me the most is the white buns don't seem bothered at all by any of it.

Anyway I'm glad your buns know what to eat and what not to eat, as I imagine life would be much easier for me if mine did [emoji38]

Very interesting Graciee - you've got quite a lot going on in your garden. One thing I did learn is to listen out for nature - theblackbirds have a very distinctive warning warble that I learnt to identify. As soon as they started their alarm call, I'd go outside and sure enough, there would be a cat nearby - and I also very firmly believe that rabbits actually understand other animals alarm cries and signals. Just like we can learn different languages, so I think it is the same with rabbits.
We live in a built up area and not rural. It's on the edge of Ipswich with a main rail way line 50 yards away and a very main road 20 yards away. We've had mice and also rats living in the shed and garage - and that was a nuisance. I'm also quite lucky because I can stand in our kitchen when I'm cooking or making meals for work or ironing and I can look out up the garden and watch the buns. It's a nice way to take your mind off the pile of ironing that you're wading through!

On the eating bad things front, we've discovered if it's 'illicit' food (i.e. penned off) then it's fair game and everything's tasty but if it's just left in easy reach they don't bother with a lot of it. Weirdos. Works with things we want them to eat but they normally wouldn't bother with, like currant...!

That's a fantastic hiding place :D

Back