• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bunny at home!

Lefteris

Warren Scout
Hello all
You may remember me when i was asking for advice for my bunny Thumper who had Pododermatitis
Thumper is still alive with the help of my awesome vet . She has serious mobility issues , though she is not in any pain and eats her food,hay,greens and enjoys my hugs a lot :love:

A month ago a friend of mine asked me to keep his rabbit for a few days while he was in vacation.
The bunny was in a very small cage.Eating muesli food and very little hay.
I was angry with this situation so i asked him if i can keep it and he said sure as his daughter didn't want it anymore
So now he lives with me.His new name is Frodo.
He is now eating Selective pellet , timothy/orchard hay (though we still trying to get used to it) and a few greens
He is around 7 months old and lately he is doing some strange things like chasing my hand everytime i try to clean the cage or give him food.
Also when he is free in the house , he is running around me and pooping
Are these from mating and hormones ?
Should i neuter him ? I read that its not obligatory on males as females

Hello all
You may remember me when i was asking for advice for my bunny Thumper who had Pododermatitis
Thumper is still alive with the help of my awesome vet . She has serious mobility issues , though she is not in any pain and eats her food,hay,greens and enjoys my hugs a lot :love:

A month ago a friend of mine asked me to keep his rabbit for a few days while he was in vacation.
The bunny was in a very small cage.Eating muesli food and very little hay.
I was angry with this situation so i asked him if i can keep it and he said sure as his daughter didn't want it anymore
So now he lives with me.His new name is Frodo.
He is now eating Selective pellet , timothy/orchard hay (though we still trying to get used to it) and a few greens
He is around 7 months old and lately he is doing some strange things like chasing my hand everytime i try to clean the cage or give him food.
Also when he is free in the house , he is running around me and pooping
Are these from mating and hormones ?
Should i neuter him ? I read that its not obligatory on males as females

I’m glad to hear Thumper is doing well, and it’s great you’ve given a home to Frodo :thumb: his behaviour is probably territorial/hormaonal, and would most likely improve or stop if you had him neutered. It’s much more straightforward and cheaper to have a male neutered than have a female spayed, so as long as you have a rabbit savvy vet he should sail through it and recover quickly. You could discuss this with the vet as he will need vaccinations if he hasn’t already had the combi vaccine and the rhd2 vaccine done previously.

I am pleased to hear about Thumper and that Frodo has a much better home with you now. I agree with Zoobec re the behaviour and neutering. Make sure you give Frodo a small amount of pellets and in time he will get into his hay. Is he litter trained?

Yes he is litter trained. Though he pees sometimes when he ia free. I guess to mark his teritory.
As for the hay there are days he will eat and some other he ignore it. Bit confused .
How much pellet he should and how often ?

Most rabbits need around 1 tbsp. of pellets per day. If he is overweight it will take time for him to get hungry enough to want to eat hay. Reduce gradually.

Most rabbits need around 1 tbsp. of pellets per day. If he is overweight it will take time for him to get hungry enough to want to eat hay. Reduce gradually.

No he is not overweight
Today he was chasing me all around the living room to reach my foot. When he get close he sniffs me and putting his mouth close to my leg . Is there a chance to want to bite me ? :lol:
I decreased the pellets today. He seems ok with this , but he still eats little hay. Don't know and im giving him good quality. Both bags are oxbox timothy/orchard.Previous week used to love orchard. These days not that much

Also is there any chance Frodo to smell Thumper(female) that is in the same room, not close though either in visible sight. Or maybe my clothes has the smell of Thumper when i hold her ?
Maybe this is the reason his hormones are kicking ?

Last edited:
Rabbits have a tremendous sense of smell. If he isn't used to eating hay it can take them weeks to get into the habit so just keep persevering. Every one of my rabbits eats hay and I have 45, so the only reason if he doesn't get into eating hay is he has teeth problems. Hopefully he won't bite you, he is just being frisky, but sometimes they can nip.

Rabbits have a tremendous sense of smell. If he isn't used to eating hay it can take them weeks to get into the habit so just keep persevering. Every one of my rabbits eats hay and I have 45, so the only reason if he doesn't get into eating hay is he has teeth problems. Hopefully he won't bite you, he is just being frisky, but sometimes they can nip.

So thats why he is chasing only me :lol::lol: The smell of Thumper is on me
I know have Froddo in a big cage, though the floor is just plastic. I know it shouldn't be that way. But when i try to cover it with fleece blankets he is digging them. He can't stand anything
Also about the pellets. You think i should change to Oxbow or Selective is fine ?

Last edited:
Back