• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

In your experiences...

loobers25

Warren Veteran
Do bonded bunnies do better living in smaller spaces? For example, if they lived in a huge room are they more likely to chase and fight?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I've always bonded in a big area and it usually takes 3 days unless they like one another straight off. Or if the fight then I don't carry on. In almost all of my bonds the boy chased the girl.

There's also the benefit of a large space in that if there is any chasing there is a chance for the chased rabbit to move away and not be cornered. The large space worked for my two, as when Tethra started to chase Tui she just ran away and after a while he got fed up trying:) It's also not always aggression that causes chasing, sometimes it seems it's just fun. Tui was actually approaching Tethra, tapping him on the nose and then running away binkying :)

I used a small space - but there is benefits to both large and small. I use small due to it being easier to intervene, but also Luna is blind. so in a huge space she may not even be aware Orion is there, suddenly a strange rabbit is bounding up to her, she attacks. so I think mine is more of a special and different case as I had to work around Luna and your average rabbit :)

Do bonded bunnies do better living in smaller spaces? For example, if they lived in a huge room are they more likely to chase and fight?

Do you mean once the bunnies are actually bonded?

I always find more space the better x

Once bond is established, just wondering if a big space could encourage a fight or a chase

Last edited:
I've never had a bond break (eeek, cross fingers forever) & I've always had house bunnies with free roam of the whole house xx

Thanks everybun.

So what about hidey holes such as PMH? Could a bun claim as their "warren"?

Thanks everybun.

So what about hidey holes such as PMH? Could a bun claim as their "warren"?

They might, but I think this could happen at any time. It didn't happen with my two and they were in a larger area with cardboard hidey holes after about 24 hours.

I'm bonding Tigger and Cindy and put heir own litter trays in with them (they are in a 12 x 8 shed). It really depends on the rabbits up to a point.

I find that single bunnies tend to sit around more and move a lot less. Bunnies in pairs or more enjoy chasing and playing and do cover a lot more ground as they are doing what they are supposed to do. I think single bunnies lack the motivation of a friend to actually get up and run about more - although that is not an excuse to keep them in an inadequate space, more an incentive to make 2 or 3 bunnies happier with each other.

I prefer my two to have 'areas', separated by tubes, so they can go and grump off and be moany with each other when they want, and go back and be forgiven when they want. Neither has claimed an area as their own (though they'll chin everything in reach of course, but no fighting over it), and putting them into their big area on the lawn has never instigated anything that hasn't happened everywhere else anyway.

If you increase the space too soon after bonding then there could be problems, otherwise the more room the better but with at least as many hidey holes as rabbits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back