• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding has commenced!

TheThreeB's

Mama Doe
Hi all,

We decided to bring the bonding of Blossom and Jester forward a few days as we have 3 days in a row where someone is here 100%.

The only available bonding space is a playhouse outside. Things are going very well so far.

But what do we do tonight?

Realistically I can't sleep in the garden! But I've read it's not good to move them once bonding has started, equally I know it's not ideal to have to separate.

I should mention they are currently both indoor buns, but we have thought about the possibility of them moving outside if they bond successful. But is it too late in the year? They can keep living inside if not.

Thank you x

Last edited:
I do think its too late to put them outside now.

usually you'd do it in the summer where inside is the same temperature as outside. the concern now is its already in some areas getting quite cold outside of a night, and even of a day, and they haven't had chance to grow their winter coats.

its not suggested to move bunnies in or out when there is a 7c difference between the house and the outside. for me tonight its set to get down to 4c, its 22 in the house give or take, that's far too cold for them to suddenly go out to to live in.

with the best will in the world you're not going to be able to get the same temperature unless you're using a heater, and you'd have to use it throughout the winter to keep them at the same temperature until summer.

Yes, absolutely, I think your right.

So it definitely means we'll bring them back in tonight. But is putting them back in their seperate indoor rooms likely to damage what we've achieved today? x

You still could put them outside, they can grow a thicker coat quite quickly. I left my 2 overnight as there was nothing happening and I knew Tigger wouldn't be aggressive. But I don't know your 2. I think, if they are getting on really well, I wouldn't separate them.

Thanks, Tb, they are getting on really well, showing all the right kind of behaviour.

We decided in the end to squeeze them inside. We've set up the indoor pen in the lounge (not ideal space wise, but we'll make do) and fortunately moving them in from the playhouse doesn't seem to have bothered them. The beauty now is they are right there and someone can sleep on the sofa tonight x

I'm glad it's going well :D Bonding can be so stressful! Sending lots of vibes for a peaceful night.

Thanks, Tb, they are getting on really well, showing all the right kind of behaviour.

We decided in the end to squeeze them inside. We've set up the indoor pen in the lounge (not ideal space wise, but we'll make do) and fortunately moving them in from the playhouse doesn't seem to have bothered them. The beauty now is they are right there and someone can sleep on the sofa tonight x

I would bring them in as you have.

Bonding is stressful, and add to that the stress of a drop in temperature, and you may get lowered immune response.
You don't want any bun going down with anything!

Hope you both manage to get some sleep :)

Thanks MM.

It's been so calm for the last few hours I'm a bit unnerved lol. We're 8 1/2 hours in and I've witnessed Blossom grooming him :love:.

They've both just shared some pellets and veggies without issue. Right now, I couldn't ask for more! :) x

Thanks MM.

It's been so calm for the last few hours I'm a bit unnerved lol. We're 8 1/2 hours in and I've witnessed Blossom grooming him :love:.

They've both just shared some pellets and veggies without issue. Right now, I couldn't ask for more! :) x

I had a couple of boys who fell in love in the first ten minutes.
I fully expected the younger one to beat the older one up but it never happened :lol:

So glad it's looking good x

Thanks also, Omi, I don't know how I missed your post last night :oops:

I'm pleased to say that they had a peaceful night together (my dh slept in with them as I needed to be up for work at 7am) and have been happily getting along every since :)

They have been fine eating along side each other and have been grooming each other :love:

Obviously it's early days but I'd say all the signs are good x

Thanks also, Omi, I don't know how I missed your post last night :oops:

I'm pleased to say that they had a peaceful night together (my dh slept in with them as I needed to be up for work at 7am) and have been happily getting along every since :)

They have been fine eating along side each other and have been grooming each other :love:

Obviously it's early days but I'd say all the signs are good x
After how long would you be confident they are bonded?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

After how long would you be confident they are bonded?

Good question! :)

Um idk, I plan to keep them in this temporary pen in the lounge for another day at least and then move them into the bedroom (their permanent space) but still in the temporary pen for another couple of days.

If all is good, I'll take the pen down after that.

Your bonding currently too, aren't you? How's it going? x

Right, so I want to check that my plan is ok!

They have now been together without any issues since Saturday afternoon, would it be too soon to move them into the bedroom (permanent space) but still restrict them to the pen for now?

The room isn't neutral as it's where Blossom has been living!

Thanks x

Did you put them in the bedroom? I would have advised to wait a bit. Hope it's going well.

Yeah, they'd been fine from day 1, so I went for it :oops:. Also I was due at work on Tuesday (in the end I couldn't go as my ds was unwell) and felt concerned at leaving them in the lounge, too many wires if they'd escaped!

I made sure I kept the litter tray etc the same and put the pen up the same as it was downstairs. Then yesterday I took the pen down as it was still going really well.

A little bit of chasing initially, but everything is great, I think their personalities are a good match :) x

Back