• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flooring for new rabbits

Lino/nonslip vynil is good, you can sometimes get offcuts cheap/free from local carpet stores. I once went in to my local shop asking for pieces for a 2 storey hutch, the man gave them to me for free and apologised the 2 pieces weren’t the same :lol:

It’s easy to clean and then you can keep hay in the litter tray/s

I mean what sort of wood does it need to be marine ply very expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would always only use marine ply, it will last much better, so be better value for money in the long run

I would always only use marine ply, it will last much better, so be better value for money in the long run

It’s about £90 per sheet for the size I need could I use a cheaper one then put Lino on the top what thickness should I use

thing is is that if this hutch is outside.. you need a good quality wood.

it will be battered by the elements, wind, snow, rain.

along with that, if its not good quality rabbits could chew out, or an animal could break in.

its always much better to get a good quality wood to begin with, or the hutch will fall apart, or you could lose your rabbits. they are irreplaceable, and then you'll be having more costs building yet another one.

you can't comprimise rabbits safety or how long it will last by buying cheaper wood, that doesn't work.

if it works out too expensive, you could consider buying an aviary, or a shed, to have them in instead.

ofc if it is inside, then you can disregard this.

I’ve bought decent wood thicker than any rabbit hutch you can buy 19 mm log cladding on the outside just wondering if marine ply is needed for flooring if Lino is going on the top

I really don't think any of mine are marine ply. Pets at Home hutches certainly won't be but they last for a reasonable time if you cover with lino and get bunnies litter trained. 9 mm I think. Pets at Home floors are not 9 mm.

I would only use external (structural) grade ply as it is definitely going to be subject to moisture. Marine grade would be good but is very expensive. Internal grade ply doesn't last as long, even if it is painted, and I find it often tends to allow mould growth (ie black spots) which is not good for bunnies.

I would still paint it and use lino, though as it will last a lot longer and be much easier to clean. Bear in mind that rabbit urine can carry the spores of the EC parasite, so anything that allows you to properly disinfect the floor has got to be better.

I would go for 9mm or 12mm. 18mm is very thick and heavy. 5.5mm is probably a bit thin for a decent size hutch. The floor will probably be the first part to fail and the most important for keeping the rabbits in.

You could also use T&G flooring with maybe a thin ply and then lino on top.

Last edited:
Back