• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Inner ear infection

Turns out he has middle ear disease in both ears [emoji17] they’ve flushed both ears and given me ear drops and she said the next thing to do would be surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turns out he has middle ear disease in both ears [emoji17] they’ve flushed both ears and given me ear drops and she said the next thing to do would be surgery.

Oh goodness, I am very sorry to hear this :cry:

I'm so very sorry to hear this :(

If he has the operation will he lead a normal life? What are the chances of him getting ear infections in the future? Is it higher or the same as before? He also has pasturella, we have been quoted roughly £1000 for the operation. After spending £800 on a CT scan and a double ear flush we want to know if further surgery is worth it.

If he has the operation will he lead a normal life? What are the chances of him getting ear infections in the future? Is it higher or the same as before? He also has pasturella, we have been quoted roughly £1000 for the operation. After spending £800 on a CT scan and a double ear flush we want to know if further surgery is worth it.

Thinking of you.

What are your thoughts on further treatment/investigations?

What type of surgery is being suggested ? Lateral ear canal resection and ablation ? Bulla Osteotomy ?

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/me...bbit-surgery-course/2-eye-and-ear-surgery.pdf

http://www.tokyovets.com/2017rabbitear3.pdf

*WARNING GRAPHIC SURGICAL IMAGES*

http://www.ivis.org/proceedings/navc/2006/SAE/617.pdf?LA=1

Has the Vet discussed non surgical management ? Whilst this may not be totally curative, it could 'hold' the infection and buy your Rabbit some more good quality time.

Ear surgery is a major op' and there are no 100% guarantees that it will be successful and that no complications, such as facial paralysis, will occur. Whether to proceed with surgery is a decision that only the Vet and the Rabbit's care giver can make. What is 'right' for one Rabbit may not be right for another.

Best wishes for whatever you decide to do x

What type of surgery is being suggested ? Lateral ear canal resection and ablation ? Bulla Osteotomy ?

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/me...bbit-surgery-course/2-eye-and-ear-surgery.pdf

http://www.tokyovets.com/2017rabbitear3.pdf

*WARNING GRAPHIC SURGICAL IMAGES*

http://www.ivis.org/proceedings/navc/2006/SAE/617.pdf?LA=1

Has the Vet discussed non surgical management ? Whilst this may not be totally curative, it could 'hold' the infection and buy your Rabbit some more good quality time.

Ear surgery is a major op' and there are no 100% guarantees that it will be successful and that no complications, such as facial paralysis, will occur. Whether to proceed with surgery is a decision that only the Vet and the Rabbit's care giver can make. What is 'right' for one Rabbit may not be right for another.

Best wishes for whatever you decide to do x

Having had a long think (and looking at the surgical pictures!) I’ve decided to make surgery my real last last last option. I’m want to try many different antibiotics first. He already seems so much better after the ear flushes which is great, I’m hoping that we will be able to help him without surgery as luckily he is a Dutch and not a lop!

My plan is to try antibiotics for a good few months (or however long it’s needed) then get another ct scan done to see if it’s still bad. But That’s just my plan, I have an app on Thursday so I will talk to the vet then x

Having had a long think (and looking at the surgical pictures!) I’ve decided to make surgery my real last last last option. I’m want to try many different antibiotics first. He already seems so much better after the ear flushes which is great, I’m hoping that we will be able to help him without surgery as luckily he is a Dutch and not a lop!

My plan is to try antibiotics for a good few months (or however long it’s needed) then get another ct scan done to see if it’s still bad. But That’s just my plan, I have an app on Thursday so I will talk to the vet then x

I think I would do the same. In fact I did with one of my previous Rabbits who had chronic ear disease. I too would see surgery as a last resort x

This was my approach too, and in your shoes I would do exactly the same.

I hope you have a productive visit to the vet on Thursday x

I think I would do the same. In fact I did with one of my previous Rabbits who had chronic ear disease. I too would see surgery as a last resort x

Let’s just hope he has a good outcome at the vets! I will keep you posted. Thank you for all your help x

This was my approach too, and in your shoes I would do exactly the same.

I hope you have a productive visit to the vet on Thursday x

Thank you! I will keep you posted. Thank yo for your help x

If it does come to needing ear surgery then please PM me at any time :) My boy had a TECABO a little over 2 years ago now. It wasn't all plain sailing but happy to say he is doing incredibly well now and has done for a long time.
Xxx

Good luck with the treatment, I hope it goes well [emoji846][emoji1696]

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

If it does come to needing ear surgery then please PM me at any time :) My boy had a TECABO a little over 2 years ago now. It wasn't all plain sailing but happy to say he is doing incredibly well now and has done for a long time.
Xxx

Thank you! I will do. So glad to hear your boy is well xxx

Hi everyone!

I took Louis back to the vets yesterday and she was really impressed with how clean his ears are! She’s chasing up the swab results and is going to give me a call this evening, so fingers crossed he will be ok. Thank you all so much, I really appreciate all your help! (I’m sure I’m going to have many more questions!) x

Hi everyone!

I took Louis back to the vets yesterday and she was really impressed with how clean his ears are! She’s chasing up the swab results and is going to give me a call this evening, so fingers crossed he will be ok. Thank you all so much, I really appreciate all your help! (I’m sure I’m going to have many more questions!) x

This is simply great news Hills :D

I hope the swab results are also OK

Hi everyone!

Great news, hopefully the infection can at least be kept under control with longterm abx therapy.

Back