• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Speedy bonding

s.tephen

Young Bun
Hi, so as per a previous thread we came by a 14week old female bunny a bit by accident

And yesterday we tentatively put her with our 16 week old neutered boy for around an hour and they sniffed and generally stayed out of each other’s way

Today my wife put them in the new run I built and they have had 3 hours, they now seem to be chasing each other, nibbling ears and maybe even a bit of grooming

How will I know that they are actually bonded

We have put them back in their separate hutches for tonight

He’s fully vaccinated but she’s not, she’s booked in to be done, the Vet said this would not be a problem

I have some videos of them playing but I don’t seem to be able to upload them now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please don't delay with the vaccinations, so many rabbits are dying from RHD2. It is advisable to have that one done first then have the combined vac done 2 weeks later. Have you checked you have got a female rabbit, she is still young and it is possible (it happens all the time) that "she" might be a boy. This would explain why they are both chasing. They might just be having fun though. Chasing is normal but usually it is the male chasing the female, and fur pulling and mounting are normal too. As long as they don't start fighting and you see them eating together then these are positive signs. To put photos on here you need to use something like Imgur.

Definitely female, have been seen by the vet and booked in for her jabs

How long ago was your Buck neutered ? Bucks can remain fertile 4-6 weeks AFTER castration

'' following castration, the buck may remain fertile for at least four weeks and sometimes longer than this; the buck should be kept apart from any does until six weeks after castration''

quoted from here :

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00...s/Indiv_TechniquesRabbit/CastrationRabbit.htm

Hi, so as per a previous thread we came by a 14week old female bunny a bit by accident

And yesterday we tentatively put her with our 16 week old neutered boy for around an hour and they sniffed and generally stayed out of each other’s way

Today my wife put them in the new run I built and they have had 3 hours, they now seem to be chasing each other, nibbling ears and maybe even a bit of grooming

How will I know that they are actually bonded

We have put them back in their separate hutches for tonight

He’s fully vaccinated but she’s not, she’s booked in to be done, the Vet said this would not be a problem

I have some videos of them playing but I don’t seem to be able to upload them now

I agree with tonibun about the vaccinations.
I am getting several reports a day of rabbits succumbing to RHD2 - I would make that a priority:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?471653-RHD2-More-Cases-(-Update-27-Sept/page21

How long ago was your male neutered? He can remain fertile for up to four weeks post castration.
Also, if I were bonding I would wait until his hormones have settled down after neutering - this can take up to 12 weeks so I usually leave it at least 8 weeks.

She is booked in for her jabs, I have taken the advice of the vet, i took her to have them done but advised me to wait a week

Your boy has only been neutered 2 weeks I believe, it is a bit soon to be putting him with an unspayed girl even if she is only 3.5 months old. Can you not wait another 2 weeks?

Last edited:
I can, like most thing in life im getting conflicting advice

The vet said it was fine after 2 weeks (today) and the rehoming centre that we where due to go to tomorrow also said it was fine and they where going to try and find our rabbit a partner but we no longer need to go as we have a rabbit

And the rehoming centre was recommended to me off this forum in my previous thread

🤷

Last edited:
Back