• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I spoke too soon

jewels26301

Young Bun
After 12 happy hours together yesterday, i had to split my rabbits up last night as i was shuting them in for the night :cry:

She was mounting him and being quite rough/aggressive...

Gutted is the only word i can find, heres hoping she'll calm down after her op tomorrow...

I wonder why she turned like that :cry:

A gutted Julie, and friendless Toffee :cry:

Don't give up, Let them see each other without direct contact as much as you can and then try again after the op.

I'm sure it will work in the end

Good Luck

Mogs

You sure it wasn't just th mounting thing? I have never seen bunnies actually fight but your suposed to know. Mine are a month into bonding and they have only just stopped mounting lots and sometimes it seemed a bit OTT to me.

Oh Dear, please do not give up yet, it is very early days and I mentionned before that things can go well, and suddenly you get a fight out of the blue.
There are two ways of looking at the situation, IF the bunnies are only mounting one another and tugging at fur, this is acceptable behaviour and you should try and keep them together. If you separate them then each time they are re introduced then they will have to reassert their territory and fights may erupt.

If however serious fighting has occured, ie the bunnies are actually biting at once another, then a different approach would be needed. In this case,
I would reduce the time the bunnies have together and do supervised short bursts of bonding, and then allow them to go back to their own quarters and space.
we have had this exact same scenario many a time, and persistence definately pays.
You cannot expect too much so soon..it would be like a human living by yourself doing what you like when you want, and then suddenly having constant company, and no space nor time for yourself.
It is something the bunnies need to get used to over time...and a few weeks to a Month is not usual to get rabbits bonded well enough to be together full time.
Do not be disheartened, after your Doe has been spayed and has had time to recover physically (ie when the stitches are taken out) try them again, and it may work out better when her hormones levels have been reduced post op.
Best wishes
Adele

Hi there,

I shouldn't worry too much if mounting & chasing is all that is happening - in fact my two boy/girl pairs which both contain a neutered buck, do this anyway! I would say this was common rabbit behaviour & to be expected.

I often find that this level of 'excitement' is quite normal & subsides after the novelty wears off for them both! Separation again can cause all that energy to build up again sometimes, ready for next time!

Its often a very worrying situation for us owners when we are so anxious for things to work, as long as there is no sign of aggression eg.grunting, nipping, etc then i would say 'chill!'. 8)

PS. Notice you mentioned her having an op....... If you mean she's being neutered i would give her at least a few weeks apart from the other rabbit anyway just to recover & rest well. Hormones will be settled a bit more by then.

Thanks for all the fantastic replies...

Yeah Fluffy is being neutered at 10am in the morning :cry:

When i said she was mounting him, i don't think it was actual fighting...she was just getting on him, holding him tight...not sure if she was nipping/biting him..

Chasing him everywhere and not giving up for a second...I gave them time together today in the run and the same thing happened...

So i'll now wait till after the op...when should i try again?

Thanks a lot guys

jewels x

Hi there,

Its best to try again at least two weeks after her op. to let her recover physically before reintroduction.

If she's just being a rampant female then spaying will put a stop to this once the hormones have settled down to an amiable level! :lol:

Good luck & keep her nice & warm & quiet indoors at least 48 hrs after the op. as anaesthesia can make the body temperature drop a little, post-op.

Also ensure she is confined as much as poss to prevent any exertion on the stitches until they come out.

It'll be worth it all in the end!

Back