• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Damaged ear and stasis

Hang in there. Producing poo shows she does not have a complete obstruction. Can you get some fluids into her? How is her body temp? My stasis bunnies sometimes required me to heat a pad (I warmed it every few hours) or you can put her near a bottle of warm water. Sending you and Molly more vibes.

Thank you so much! Was very pleased when I saw those poos as was starting to panic. I’m syringe feeding water as well each time so hopefully this is helping and enough as she’s not drinking on her own. I think her body temp is ok, her ears were freezing when we first noticed stasis at beginning of week but she’s a house bunny so we’ve been turning the heating on to keep her warm and put in extra fleeces where she sleeps. I keep touching her ears and they feel a good temperature to me at the moment - not too hot/not too cold. Is there anything else I should be looking out for to check her body temperature?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much! Was very pleased when I saw those poos as was starting to panic. I’m syringe feeding water as well each time so hopefully this is helping and enough as she’s not drinking on her own. I think her body temp is ok, her ears were freezing when we first noticed stasis at beginning of week but she’s a house bunny so we’ve been turning the heating on to keep her warm and put in extra fleeces where she sleeps. I keep touching her ears and they feel a good temperature to me at the moment - not too hot/not too cold. Is there anything else I should be looking out for to check her body temperature?

Hard to know for sure unless you can take the temperature with a thermometer yourself.

Ask the vet to take it next time you're there and make sure it's within normal limits ..

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/sickbun.html

I had to syringe feed one of my rabbits for 11 days, night and day, after a vet made an error with medication. But I got him through stasis and much worse. You can do it.

Have you any Infacol? It can sometimes help to move things along a bit, and passing panful gas has got to be a good thing.

Hugs x

Thanks MM - that’s good to hear they can come back after a good few days.

I have got infacol - haven’t given it but will on next med session.

I’m trying to encourage her to get up and poo - she is stuck in one place and doesn’t like to move from it.

Hard to know for sure unless you can take the temperature with a thermometer yourself.

Ask the vet to take it next time you're there and make sure it's within normal limits ..

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/sickbun.html

Thank you! Will have a read. Currently waiting for a call from the vet to discuss she’s been today.

Still worried about her ear. She’s now started shaking her head a lot, washing it and scratching it so I think it’s hurting her. Not sure if how they did the drip was normal but if it has that effect on a rabbits ear surely there must be another way??

x

How much metacam would you be giving? We’ve been told 1ml once a day but I’m sure for one of my other bunnies I’ve done that twice a day. She’s about 2.8kg approx.

How much metacam would you be giving? We’ve been told 1ml once a day but I’m sure for one of my other bunnies I’ve done that twice a day. She’s about 2.8kg approx.

I can't give dosages online as I am not a vet, but the standard measure is as follows:

http://www.vgr1.com/metacam/

But bear in mind there's a cat and a dog Metacam, and they are different strengths.
The dog one is more usually used for rabbits. Do you know which you have?

I will PM you what my vet would suggest, if that's OK?

I can't give dosages online as I am not a vet, but the standard measure is as follows:

http://www.vgr1.com/metacam/

But bear in mind there's a cat and a dog Metacam, and they are different strengths.
The dog one is more usually used for rabbits. Do you know which you have?

I will PM you what my vet would suggest, if that's OK?

Yes please - that would be fab! x

So she is nibbling a bit this evening, but we’ve not had any poos since this morning. Should I be concerned if there are no poos and she’s nibbling? I.e - is it all backing up in her system? Or would she not nibble at all of there was zero movement in her system?

So she is nibbling a bit this evening, but we’ve not had any poos since this morning. Should I be concerned if there are no poos and she’s nibbling? I.e - is it all backing up in her system? Or would she not nibble at all of there was zero movement in her system?

You need to see poos as well. Output is just as important as Input.

Have you tried Infacol? It really helps to release gas.

I will PM you x

We had some more tiny poos overnight and a few more today so feeling a bit better about that. We need more though! She’s producing ceocotrophs more than pellets but there are tiny pellets in the litter box.

She was nibbling more as well overnight and this morning.

I’m doing infacol now so will carry that on for every med session - thanks for that tip.

She’s much more awake today as well and came out of her room for a little explore upstairs.

I’m feeling more positive about her today, we definitely took some steps forward yesterday, we just need to keep up the momentum.

Her friend, Indy, keeps grooming her ear and is being ever so sweet with her - bless him!

We had some more tiny poos overnight and a few more today so feeling a bit better about that. We need more though! She’s producing ceocotrophs more than pellets but there are tiny pellets in the litter box.

She was nibbling more as well overnight and this morning.

I’m doing infacol now so will carry that on for every med session - thanks for that tip.

She’s much more awake today as well and came out of her room for a little explore upstairs.

I’m feeling more positive about her today, we definitely took some steps forward yesterday, we just need to keep up the momentum.

Her friend, Indy, keeps grooming her ear and is being ever so sweet with her - bless him!

I was just going to ask how things were so thanks for posting :)

I am glad she's passed some poos. Small ones are always expected and normal in gut stasis.
Sometimes the meds she's on might make the poos appear different.

I'm glad she's exploring a bit. It sounds like you're doing good.

I wonder if you got any sleep though?

Keep up the good work. When I was syringe feeding a stasis bunny, I noticed fewer and smaller poos than when they eat their regular food. It may be due to the size of the fiber or the overall quantity. The important thing is your bunny is passing material and nibbling food. To encourage the bunny to take pellets, I mixed ground up pellets with the recovery food (it is not as smooth of a consistency as recovery food alone).

In regards to your prior question on Medicam my vet told me the protocol is now once a day. However, I found my bunny was acting painful after 18 hours so my vet approved of twice a day by splitting the dosage in half. My vet also calculated a maximum dosage I could give for a couple days, if needed; but I was told not to use it longer term.

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Thanks again for all the advice both.

We are making progress definitely. She’s eating more on her own and poo output has started to increase - still no way near the amount she should be producing, but things are moving. I’d say she’s probably eating about 30% of her usual amount on her own. I have just watched her on the camera drink on her own which is the first time since Monday.

I think I can relax a bit now in terms of her deteriorating and bloat etc. I’ll obviously be continuing with all medication and frequency until poo output and food input goes back to normal.

A stressful week but so nice to see her starting to return to her normal bossy self :)

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Thanks again for all the advice both.

We are making progress definitely. She’s eating more on her own and poo output has started to increase - still no way near the amount she should be producing, but things are moving. I’d say she’s probably eating about 30% of her usual amount on her own. I have just watched her on the camera drink on her own which is the first time since Monday.

I think I can relax a bit now in terms of her deteriorating and bloat etc. I’ll obviously be continuing with all medication and frequency until poo output and food input goes back to normal.

A stressful week but so nice to see her starting to return to her normal bossy self :)

Good to hear - thank you for updating :)

I really hope she is getting well out of the woods now!

Back