• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cross bred bunnies

Cheryl368

New Kit
Please help. I need advice. One of my girlies escaped about 5 weeks ago and heyho, guess what I found in her hutch last week. About 8 or 9 babies! Everyone clearly resembling Dad! Tart! I have had babies before and have had them rehired easily through my local Pets at Home store. This batch is going to be different obviously. Can anyone advise me please on what to expect and whether they would survive if released at 10 weeks ish, or whether with lots of handling they would make pets. I couldn’t destroy them obviously, but with 6 already another 8 would be rather a handful. Any advice gratefully received.

Please help. I need advice. One of my girlies escaped about 5 weeks ago and heyho, guess what I found in her hutch last week. About 8 or 9 babies! Everyone clearly resembling Dad! Tart! I have had babies before and have had them rehired easily through my local Pets at Home store. This batch is going to be different obviously. Can anyone advise me please on what to expect and whether they would survive if released at 10 weeks ish, or whether with lots of handling they would make pets. I couldn’t destroy them obviously, but with 6 already another 8 would be rather a handful. Any advice gratefully received.

My first thought is they may look like dad, but they are still part domestic rabbit. Sending you some vibes that someone on this forum or a wildlife rehabilitator in your area would know the answer.

first of all, do not release them into the wild. wild rabbits are completely different in how they grow, how fast, etc. they are also learning from mom on what to eat and what not to eat. releasing them would be very irresponsible and stupid, you're sentencing them to a slow and painful death as they'll probably die due to poison or starvation. they are not wild rabbits at the end of the day.

I think the first thing that should be on your check list would be spaying her after this litter and her a health check. everybody needs to be vaccinated and neutered to prevent anymore accidental litters from happening. also making sure that she can't escape again and end up pregnant.

once they are 8 weeks old you need to separate into boys & girls and find them new homes, a shelter might be able to help but they are already overrun with often accidental litters unfortunately.

Thanks for your advice. I have four other females and one male who is spayed. They all live together quite happily and this is the first time in 5 years this has happened. If she makes another bid for freedom, spaying her will be top of the list. I wouldn’t do anything to cause her or them harm, so am grateful you took the time to answer.

Rabbits should be spayed anyway as female rabbits are at a high risk from cancers of the womb. If finance is an issue, the PDSA do a neutering service for £5. I hope you find homes for your babies soon, a lot of shelters deal with rabbits, as do places like Pets at Home who can adopt them out for you.

Rabbits should be spayed anyway as female rabbits are at a high risk from cancers of the womb. If finance is an issue, the PDSA do a neutering service for £5. I hope you find homes for your babies soon, a lot of shelters deal with rabbits, as do places like Pets at Home who can adopt them out for you.

I learned this the hard way. I had a single female house bunny and because she was not spayed she got cancerous tumors the size of golf balls and she was about 2.5 kg. Thankfully she survived the surgery and lived a few more years.
Even though your babies look like dad, they must be very cute.

Back