Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Our rabbits wont eat hay....advice please

I got this from another rabbit website: Many healthy rabbits will turn up their noses at hay because they are offered excessive amounts of pelleted food. Is this helpful? Hope it was.

yeah - I would cut down on the pellet or make them work for it. mine sometimes get it in bowls, sometimes a treat ball, or sometimes thrown all over their pen. its then not dinner on a shining platter so they have no interest in hay. mine get two tablespoons thrown around their pen usually one per rabbit or they start to fight.

adding forage to their hay can help too.

I am not sure if they have 24/7 outside access, but I know some people don't even give rabbits hay as they have 24/7 garden access, the grass is their main source of fibre. they're also full on the nommy grass. while hay is important, grass is just as beneficial.

grass also varies, in the winter its less nutritious, in the spring its very rich.

RE poops - many believe golden poops are the be all and end all, they're not. often unless rabbits are on a hay only diet, their poops are darker due to the richness of the food they eat. grass, forage & veggies all account to this. as long as they're not tiny, runny, strung together you have a good thing going.

I think as long as they are doing well and no dental issues present then it should be okay. still offer the hay as a backup, but they may be full on the grass.
    Snoopy : 14.02.15 - 12.05.17 [mini rex]👑Luna : 14.02.15 [rex]👑Orion : 21.10.17 [mini rex]

Quote Originally Posted by Cute bunnies View Post
    I got this from another rabbit website: Many healthy rabbits will turn up their noses at hay because they are offered excessive amounts of pelleted food. Is this helpful? Hope it was.

Hi there and welcome to the Forum

I agree with you

You just have to be sure there are no lurking dental issues that prevent a rabbit from chewing up the hay.

Thanks everyone. Ill stop worrying then. Teddy has spent most of today sunbathing. I discovered that if I put a pile of hay right under his nose, so he can eat it without having to get up, hell eat it. So I guess hes just lazy Several times today Ive crept up on them to spy on them, and I have spotted them eating hay. Maybe I was just expecting them to have bigger appetites than they do. Although when I let them loose on the lawn they go mad for all the grass, leaves and shrubs as though they are half-starved I think its probably partly that, as Mighty Max suggested, all theyve ever known is sitting in a small hutch eating hay, so theyd rather play/laze about in sunshine/eat grass now they can.

I will reduce their pellet rations again but honestly, its not as though were feeding them bucketloads of them They normally have 2-3 tablespoons of pellets between them. Ill reduce it to 1-2.
    Max and Molly. Left us August and September 2018. Much loved.

One of my buns was ill recently, and the recommended diet we were given (for 2 8 month old boys) was unlimited hay and water, and egg cup each of pellets a day (high quality Timothy hay ones, not rubbish) and a hand full of mixed greens in the morning and at night. One of my boys is allowed NOTHING else (he has a sensitive stomach), the other can have the occasional natural treat like fruit, wood or other natural nibble. Having nearly watched a bunny die, I am sticking to this and not allowing anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAndMolly View Post
    Thanks everyone. Ill stop worrying then. Teddy has spent most of today sunbathing. I discovered that if I put a pile of hay right under his nose, so he can eat it without having to get up, hell eat it. So I guess hes just lazy Several times today Ive crept up on them to spy on them, and I have spotted them eating hay. Maybe I was just expecting them to have bigger appetites than they do. Although when I let them loose on the lawn they go mad for all the grass, leaves and shrubs as though they are half-starved I think its probably partly that, as Mighty Max suggested, all theyve ever known is sitting in a small hutch eating hay, so theyd rather play/laze about in sunshine/eat grass now they can.

I will reduce their pellet rations again but honestly, its not as though were feeding them bucketloads of them They normally have 2-3 tablespoons of pellets between them. Ill reduce it to 1-2.

You can always sneak in a few extra pellets as 'treats'. I do that sometimes - they come hopping onto my knee

At least you know they have good choppers for hay chewing now you've seen them do it!

Quote Originally Posted by perryandcalloway View Post
    One of my buns was ill recently, and the recommended diet we were given (for 2 8 month old boys) was unlimited hay and water, and egg cup each of pellets a day (high quality Timothy hay ones, not rubbish) and a hand full of mixed greens in the morning and at night. One of my boys is allowed NOTHING else (he has a sensitive stomach), the other can have the occasional natural treat like fruit, wood or other natural nibble. Having nearly watched a bunny die, I am sticking to this and not allowing anything else.
    Thanks, that’s exactly what we’re doing
    Max and Molly. Left us August and September 2018. Much loved.

Glad your bunnies are OK.

I am so glad your buns are ok, they might get sniffy for a while at the change but they will soon get it! My boys as it turns out are fussy eaters but in a very good way. They will turn their noses up at posh Marks and Spencers bagged salads at 2 a pop, but will DEVOUR a Tesco own brand cheapy Fresh Greens cabbage for 60p. Suits me!