• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Odd behaviour....

Elop

Warren Scout
So Smoushi the baby nethie we have starting having an attraction to nipping my ears. It actually would hurt quite a bit. Anyway then yesterday my little girl was lay on the floor asleep and Smoushi ran upto her and randomly bit her back. She woke up screaming and then later on his ran up to her ear and nipped that. He wasn’t feeling threatened and was just having a good run about. Is there any reason for this and what can I do to stop it?
09b56fc3f6fef04612e09f88d840fcf3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is he neutered? If not then I'd dfomget him done if he is old enough, hormones could be causing himmto just attack, bite, nip etc

I agree with Mini Lop1, but from my readings, I have also found that rabbits can (and in some cases do) respond to commands - but I also bow to the better judgement of others who are wiser than I. We have an occasional slight issue with nethie bun Henry here. He has been neutered but occasionallly nips the toes of my O/H and son when they are eating at the table. So we use the command "No" when Henry nips. I'm not 100% certain if it works or not, but it is a verbal way of showing Henry that we don't like his nipping. He is a generally good bunny and not viscious at all.
I hope that you are able to find a strategy that helps and if Smoushi isn't neutered, then neutering might help.

I agree with Mini Lop1, but from my readings, I have also found that rabbits can (and in some cases do) respond to commands - but I also bow to the better judgement of others who are wiser than I. We have an occasional slight issue with nethie bun Henry here. He has been neutered but occasionallly nips the toes of my O/H and son when they are eating at the table. So we use the command "No" when Henry nips. I'm not 100% certain if it works or not, but it is a verbal way of showing Henry that we don't like his nipping. He is a generally good bunny and not viscious at all.
I hope that you are able to find a strategy that helps and if Smoushi isn't neutered, then neutering might help.

Thank you for the info. I’ll try verbal commands but he can’t be neutered until his balls drop. Hopefully soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully plums drop soon, male buns are normally very chill after neutering.

Verbal commands Idk... But sometimes saying owh! Makes them stop... Idk if it shocks them or what...

I'd perhaps just be careful around him until after op, he may just be a bit nippy atm [emoji38]

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

When mabel was a baby she used to try nip for attention, I used to say ouch and no firmly until she learned it was not acceptable behaviour to get attention

Probably is related to not being neutered yet.
But also bunnies nip other bunnies when they are in the way and won't move but since they have fur coats it doesn't hurt much. Did the bunny nudge your daughter just before hand and when she didn't move then he bit? It is just bunny language for 'get out of my way'. Since your daughter screamed the bun will understand that he bit too hard and he will be more gentle next time - they definitely learn this.

Back