• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bloated stomach

smokeys owner

Warren Scout
I got a new bunny on saturday, but she wasnt eating or pooing so I took her to the petshop on monday and they found out shes got a bloated stomach anyway i've got to get her back in 5 days, anyone ever had this problem? and what causes it and how to prevent it again. also I have another bunny I want her to bond with I have her on the bottom and smokey on the top and took the stairs out on one of those double dekcer hutches do you think they can smell each other and stuff like that alright

What are you feeding your bunny, and how long since she last ate or pooed?

With a bloaty bun you can't feed them too rich a diet. When you get her back just keep her on hay and water for a while. Others will be along with more advice soon, but hay is the best medicine for most bunny belly problems. Especially if she's young. Most baby bunnies can't cope with too many veggies and pellets.

Hi

Hay is def best for any rabbit tummy illness!! What are the pet shop doing with her? I'd be a bit worried as I would have felt safer taking her to the vet myself and getting her treated.

When you get her back don't feed veggies and don't feed much dry food. Keep diet really bland, just hay for now and hopefully this will stop it happening in future. I expect she had this at the pet shop you got her from? If she is very young, it can be very stressful coming to a new home, this may have contributed to it.

Is Smokey female? And your new bun female? 2 females tend to be harder to bond, it might take a lot longer than a male and female combination and you will want to get them both spayed when they are old enough.

Good luck!

Nicola

I am also concerned why she went back to the pet shop and not to a vet. Is the pet shop taking her to a vet? What treatment are they giving her?

Vera

Yep Ditto all said here - does seem strange that the Pet Shop have kept her unless they intend to get Veterinary Attention themselves - might be worth checking though as Bloat can be very painful for a bunny and they need lots of TLC to get them through this.

Hope all goes well for you and your bunny.

When I got my mice from my local pet shop (years ago now) I noticed that evening that they were making snuffly noises when they breathed. I phoned up the pet shop the next day and they took the mice back, got them checked by a vet, paid for the treatment, returned the mice to me when they were well and refused to take any more mice from that particular breeder.

Sometimes pet shops can be responsible and some of them do care about their animals and want to make sure they're coming from reputable breeders. So it's possible they're getting bunny checked up and treated at the vets themselves.

yeah they said they were taking her to a vet, sorry I forgot to mention that. they rang earlier and said they were giving her anti biotics and injecting water into her so I have to go and fetch her on saturday.

That's good, at least they care about the animals they sell!! I hope they are giving her hay as well to keep her digestive tract moving. When you get her back give her lots of hay and bland diet and keep an eye on her.

Hope she feels much better soon! May I ask whereabouts the pet shop is? They are obviously pretty good!

Nicola

nicolar said:
That's good, at least they care about the animals they sell!! I hope they are giving her hay as well to keep her digestive tract moving. When you get her back give her lots of hay and bland diet and keep an eye on her.

Hope she feels much better soon! May I ask whereabouts the pet shop is? They are obviously pretty good!

Nicola

it's called pets at home in worcester

Blimey!! Never thought they would do that, but then again I'm not surprised the rabbit had bloat coming out of there!! I have heard of so many ill rabbits coming from there, my first bunny died after only 2 weeks, he was from Pets at Home and had a bad tum :(

At least they are being responsible with your bun tho, if she gets ill again after you have her home, get her treated at your vet as I've also heard of illnesses spread between the buns at Pets at Home.

Glad u can offer her a nice home!

Nicola

hi,
beeing a breeder iv seen this very often and and is due to stress, When u got her did they tell u what food she was on??? cause a change of food is very stressfull and can give them upset tummies, when someone has a rabbits off me they get a small bag of food to do a change over. I have nursed a few bk to health but this way takings along time and alot of effort and out of about 7 before 2 only made it, but the vets give them an injetion to make them better but dont always work. when mine get this they wont eat especially the rabbits food so i do feed them hay and veggies cause the veggies will loosen up the inside and can pass waste then, also i syringe antibiotics and also (dont sound nice but works) healthy soft poo from mom or sybling mix with anibiotics and syring this down, this is because this is the poo they eat to help there digestive system and if they dont produce any they can't eat any.
becky

I got a rabbit from Pets At Home last october and it has since turned out that she had Coccidosis when she was a baby and subsequentally passed it on to her babies :(

Oh poor girl :( Unfortunately I've heard nothing but bad things about them and their bunnies and unfortunately experienced it myself. They always look so lethargic when u go in there :( I don't like looking as I get upset and want to take them all home!

Back