Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prepping for winter

Warren Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Annie_90 View Post
    Thank you, Lagomorphine, it does help to reassure.

I suppose they prefer the freedom than the hutch? I know I sometimes have to usher mine under cover when it starts raining, but to give them their due rain is a new thing to them!
    Yes, I think they prefer the freedom of the run. I have now had the experience of a total of four rabbits that I have adopted and they were all originally kept in a hutch. After I adopted them I gave them a hutch and run. Without exception this is what happened: the first week they stayed mostly in the hutch; in their new environment they were a bit scared to move about. After a few days they started exploring the run but still ran back to the hutch when they saw something scary. After about a week, they moved into the run on pretty much a permanent basis and effectively abandoned the hutch. It doesn't matter how cold it is, they don't go up any more. Maybe when something very scary happens but only then.

Mine spend most of winter sat in their run despite easy access to the playhouse. The only buns I ever move into the garage are the group with an elderly bun and an arthritic bun, but its not really necessary for healthy bunnies unless the weather is extream.
    I Suffer From Multiple Rabbit Syndrome
    (Because One Rabbit Is Never Enough!)

Warren Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Amy104 View Post
    Mine spend most of winter sat in their run despite easy access to the playhouse.
    Same here. Whenever I go out to check on them during the winter months - it could be late at night, with icy wind blowing, I'm dressed like I'm going on an arctic expedition - I invariably find them sitting on the ground and they just look at me like "what's the problem, mate?". I do hope they would have the sense to hide in the hutch if they found it unbearable but so far it hasn't happened.