• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New owner, possible sprain

Mariopeach

New Kit
Hi new rabbit owner I have two litter mates Mario and Peaches, both around 12 weeks old.

Peaches has been holding up her front paw and not weight bearing for 6 days now. I have had her at vets who have prescribed metacam and confinement. She has had her 5 days of metacam but not seeing any signs of improvement with the paw.

Have any other owner got any ideas, recovery times etc ??. The vet wasn't actually sure what the problem was didn't suspect a dislocation, break or fracture more of a wait and see :( should I be looking for a better vet?

Hi new rabbit owner I have two litter mates Mario and Peaches, both around 12 weeks old.

Peaches has been holding up her front paw and not weight bearing for 6 days now. I have had her at vets who have prescribed metacam and confinement. She has had her 5 days of metacam but not seeing any signs of improvement with the paw.

Have any other owner got any ideas, recovery times etc ??. The vet wasn't actually sure what the problem was didn't suspect a dislocation, break or fracture more of a wait and see :( should I be looking for a better vet?
Is your vet rabbit savvy? If not you can post asking for recommendations in your area.

I think personally I'd want a bunny vet to look at her, and also an xray.

Poor Peaches :( hope you figure out what's wrong with her

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Personally I'd ask the Vet about the need to Xray the injured limb if she has shown no improvement at all after 5 days on Metacam and strict cage rest. As Gracie mentioned, if you are not confident about how 'Rabbit Savvy' the Vet you consulted is then seeking a second opinion would be a good idea.

These links may be useful to read, the RWAF is a great source of information for all Rabbit related health and welfare matters :)

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-friendly-vets/

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/

I do hope that your Vet emphasised how essential it is that your two new baby Bunnies are Vaccinated,

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...t-of-a-Forum-Moderator)&p=7041560#post7041560

if not then I would take that as a concern about how Rabbit Savvy they are and I would take Peaches elsewhere. Good luck, I hope that Peaches will soon be back to normal x

Hi there and welcome to the Forum :wave:

I would take her back to the vet and ask their advice. It's possible she will need an X-ray, or maybe just longer on 'cage rest'

If you want to find a more savvy vet (and this isn't a comment on the one you're using, as I have no idea!) then you can start another thread in Rabbit Chat with the header:

Rabbit Savvy Vet needed in (your location)

...and members will help you out with their recommendations.

Alternatively you could look here:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/vetfinder/vets-owners-recommendations

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/

Back