• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Carpet eating

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Hi,

What health issues may cause carpet eating?

He has major gut issues (dysautonomia), but hasn't ever exhibited this behaviour. He is acting completely normal, eating normally, although possibly a little less hay, but we're working on this with different hays (so yes, am considering dental, but no one seems overly enamoured with this hay, so this isn't just him).

I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

What health issues may cause carpet eating?

He has major gut issues (dysautonomia), but hasn't ever exhibited this behaviour. He is acting completely normal, eating normally, although possibly a little less hay, but we're working on this with different hays (so yes, am considering dental, but no one seems overly enamoured with this hay, so this isn't just him).

I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Thanks in advance.

I expect you've ruled out an impacted cecum ? Craving 'inappropriate' sources of fibre (eg carpet/cardboard) can be one symptom. In the early stages cecal impaction is very insidious in onset.

A sluggish cecum is often an issue with Dysautonomia, as I know you know

A bit of info re cecal impaction here

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Caecal_Impaction.htm

Sending vibes xx

Thanks Jane. I’ve not taken him to see a vet yet, so no one has had a rummage to see if there are any signs. He typically craves stuff just before an episode but poor little chap has been moulting solidly for nearly three months and, due to all the plucking I’ve done, he’s only had one episode. He certainly could be brewing or it may be his gut is just a little slower due to the fur.

Fluids for cecal impaction? Can’t go any higher with gut stimulants though.

Thanks Jane. I’ve not taken him to see a vet yet, so no one has had a rummage to see if there are any signs. He typically craves stuff just before an episode but poor little chap has been moulting solidly for nearly three months and, due to all the plucking I’ve done, he’s only had one episode. He certainly could be brewing or it may be his gut is just a little slower due to the fur.

Fluids for cecal impaction? Can’t go any higher with gut stimulants though.

Definitely, IV or SQ + Oral

Not sure if he is already on Cisapride ? In some Dysautonomia Bunnies this can be more beneficial than just Ranitidine and Metoclopramide

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Cisapride.htm

No, he’s not on that. He’s on both Zantac and Metaclop. Would he need to stop one or both of those to go onto cisapride?

Sub q fluids no problem. Thank you.

How’s your bunny now? Did you get any further with finding out the cause? Phillip has started eating carpet more than ever this week!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear Phillip is also carpet eating. Is he moulting too?

Thank you for asking. We’re working on hay and fluids. I am treating him with fluids for the times being but I’m aware he may now need a dental.

Back