• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wound Help

Hi everyone this is my first post, I made this account to seek advice from other bunny owners who have had pets with a similar injury or just anyone who can offer some helpful advice.

So I have two rabbits, one is a year old he's always been fine and the other I got on Tuesday the 18th of September 2018, so less than a week ago.

I got her from a very popular pet store in Scotland who I normally would never buy a pet from, however she was in the rehoming/ adoption area and in the future would be the perfect companion for buster my other rabbit. So I brought her home got her all settled in but I noticed the night I got her home she walked funny. There was no visible signs of anything on her body. Yesterday this got so much worse so I rushed her into the vets who also noticed she had a limp and some left shoulder discomfort, we couldn't feel anything so her fur was shaved off which revealed a decent sized wound caused by another rabbit attacking her.

The vet thought it had been there for more than a week and certainly since before I got her (she also lives in a bunny proof home away from my other rabbit until i'm ready to start the bonding process). So just a few questions I will try and post some pictures too. Is it possible that there was no way the pet store didn't notice it, is this normal? by the time I had got her it had so much fur on it, it looked like it wasn't there.

She has been given pain killers, antibiotics, iodine solution and manuka honey for the next 10 days but has a check up tomorrow as the vet said she may need stiches or something to close the wound, do rabbit wounds normally close on their own? or is it likely that she will need more treatment.

Thanks everyone for any advice also how can I make sure she is most comfortable in this situation, I have never had an injured rabbit and just want to make sure she is getting everything at home that she can! The vet made the petstore pay for her treatment so anything you can suggest I will request it. Just if anyone has any thoughts thanks!

Also just some info on her, she is 4 months old, seems to be a mini lop cross, weights just under a kilo and when I adopted her they said she's been off the shop sales for a while as she had Gut Stasis but also has runny eyes that I am treating at home.

I am pleased the store will be paying but they shouldn't have let her go like that. It's very bad of them. I hope you and the Vet can sort out her problems (she isn't on wood shavings is she?) as that won't help her nose/eyes. Good luck with her.

You are doing a brilliant job, and well done to your vet for getting the store to pay for treatment - she should have been checked over before she was allowed to leave the store. Anyway - I hope all goes well with the checkup. One thing to watch out for is that rabbit wounds may abscess. The infected areas are filled with a thick, white substance which is like cream cheese. Treatment for this is along the lines you are following - flush out the wound, fill with medical grade manuka honey, and antibiotics - often depocillin or similar - always by injection (never by mouth). Oral Baytril is often the first antibiotic prescribed, but it won't touch abscesses. They can also be managed by surgery to remove the infected capsule. Your vet is best placed to advise on how the would is healing.

It sounds like she is receiving excellent care now. Well done for taking her on and getting her problems sorted out.

Back