• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter Regression!

camerajuan

Warren Scout
Driving me mad recently!

So, 4 yr old neutered boy, toilet trained for as long as we've had him, has decided that his litter tray is no longer his wee-wee place & he just poops then jumps out & wees next to it.

Have researched & saw a couple of bits about change in routine - he was with his boarder for 2 consecutive weekends & then a full 10 days as we had a lot on all at once - so that could be it.

He's utterly fine other than that!

I do think its the change of routine, he wants to mark his territory again. give it some time and he should hopefully go back to normal.

if not - I would suggest a vet check. rabbits can develop arthritis at any age, mine is almost 4 and has had arthritis since last year. but, it does sound more like a territory and change of routine thing. it can put them off of wanting to go in.

I agree with what BinkyCodie has said :thumb: has there been any changes to the litter you use, or the hay you put in the tray? If you can keep wiping away the stray wees and neutralising the area with a 50/50 mix of vinegar/water that might help. Otherwise it might be worth trying a larger litter tray - low under bed storage boxes are good, or putting another tray where he is weeing.

Thanks both!

I did think the routine change at first but also, after reading Zoobec's comment, we had to use different litter as the shop was out when we went to refill. We started him on wood pellets then he kept throwing them around so we moved to compressed paper pellets which were fine, although he ate them a few times, but recently on the change back to wood due to stock levels, which coincided with our busy month, he just doesn't like them now!

Back to paper asap?

Back