• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

protexin and fibreplex as preventatives

Griffski

Warren Scout
Hi all .. just wondered if anyone has used protexin or fibreplex as preventative measure on bunnies with GI issues.

I have bunny with intermittent (mild) symptoms (post dietary intervention) and wondered if this might keep his microbiome on track and prevent occasionally soft output ... even on limited pellets, forage, hay, grass and small amounts of herbs he continues to have issues and wondered if either of these supplements might allow him to better tolerate subtle dietary changes (like new batches of hay/different relative intakes of natural foods). The protexin looks like it's easier to administer.

thanks

I’ve not used either, so can’t advise, but I’m bumping up for you :thumb:

When I was given Fibreplex and read the ingredients I couldn't understand what difference it was from the rabbit eating hay, which she did. The Oxbow food sounds good. Maybe you could start a new thread asking for recommendations regarding Oxbow supplements as I am fairly sure there is at least one person on RU who uses it.

I haven't heard of either being used as preventative in my limited experience. On a slight tagent, my Elphie has Oxbow Joint Support supplements for her arthritis. (One 'treat' 2 times a day; Elphie thinks it should be more.) There's a Digestive Support version as well... could that be an idea?

https://www.animeddirect.co.uk/oxbo...-supplement-for-small-animals-pack-of-60.html

Thanks - wasn't aware of this option - it's good to know there are a few possibilities :)

When I was given Fibreplex and read the ingredients I couldn't understand what difference it was from the rabbit eating hay, which she did. The Oxbow food sounds good. Maybe you could start a new thread asking for recommendations regarding Oxbow supplements as I am fairly sure there is at least one person on RU who uses it.

Thanks Tonibun - I'll do that. When he comes in for winter I can monitor his response to recommended supplements more closely with a view to applying them when he's back outside. It's a bit early to tell if fewer pellets have helped yet but he's been good these past few days...

Thanks - wasn't aware of this option - it's good to know there are a few possibilities :)

Not a problem. If it's anything like Elphie and her joint support variant, it'll go down, well, like a treat! I only found out about the Joint Support ones on here, and took note of the fact there are a lot of different types for various needs. :)

When our bunnies are moulting, they always have 3-4 protexin pellets daily.. they we’re recommended by our vet and work perfectly for our buns! :thumb:

Plus they love them and go down very well.. :)

Last edited:
I haven't heard of either being used as preventative in my limited experience. On a slight tagent, my Elphie has Oxbow Joint Support supplements for her arthritis. (One 'treat' 2 times a day; Elphie thinks it should be more.) There's a Digestive Support version as well... could that be an idea?

https://www.animeddirect.co.uk/oxbo...-supplement-for-small-animals-pack-of-60.html
None of my buns will eat these, I only bought them for one bun, but offered the rest to see if they'd eat them, no chance apparently!

I'd give them a go tho, your bun could like them :)

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

When our bunnies are moulting, they always have 3-4 protexin pellets daily.. they we’re recommended by our vet and work perfectly for our buns! :thumb:

Plus they love them and go down very well.. :)

.. always good to identify safe treats with dietary restricted bunnies .. might assuage my guilt a little if he finds them tasty :)

None of my buns will eat these, I only bought them for one bun, but offered the rest to see if they'd eat them, no chance apparently!

I'd give them a go tho, your bun could like them :)

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
.. thanks - only one way to find out :)

I hope they go down as well as Elphie's joint ones do. She'll follow anyone into the bathroom (where she gets her meds) in the hopes of getting another!

... ordered and on their way - despite latest measures (pellet reduction and access to apple twigs) he's 'off his game' again - will try soon and report back ...hoping for similar response to Elphie :)

Back