• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits at Livestock Markets

Beapig

Mama Doe
Bit of a disturbing question but, would one find 'meat' rabbits destined for slaughter at a livestock market? I'm looking into saving a couple of chickens or ducks before Christmas and am wondering if I might happen across some rabbits too.

(By the way I'm vegan and find the thought of seeing any animal in that situation very very sad indeed)

Yes - you will quite probably find rabbits - and 'pet' ones, not just meat varieties. I've had lionhead crosses that originally came from livestock markets.

Advice from someone I know who goes regularly is.....don't go. There will be many, many rabbits (50p - £4.50), ducks, chickens, etc

I wouldn't go :(

Or want to purchase any animals from a place like that :( I feel like I'd just be funding it more honestly :(

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I'm sure it is horrific :(

And I know what you mean Graciee about funding them, but I have a huge social media platform (40k followers) so I hope that if I shared a live video and also the story of the animal(s) I took out of that situation, it might do a lot of harm to the people running those kinds of businesses by exposing the cruelty and making people think twice about what they are consuming.

I'd like to take my parents along, because they think that cruetly in farming doesn't exist and I'd love to open their eyes.

Thank you everyone for the above advice. I've actually been to a slaughterhouse before and said goodbye to hundreds of animals as they've gone in, so I think I could bear it, just.

Back