• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vaccinations

xkellyx

New Kit
Hi

I'll be getting two does at the age of 8 weeks old. The breeder said that if she vaccinated them now which she doesn't have an issue with doing, they would still need doing at 10 weeks old as they effectively grow out of the vaccinations. They will be getting the myxi and rhd and vrhd2 but what ages is best to get them done? I know vaccinations need to be 2 weeks apart also.

Thank you 😊

Hi

I'll be getting two does at the age of 8 weeks old. The breeder said that if she vaccinated them now which she doesn't have an issue with doing, they would still need doing at 10 weeks old as they effectively grow out of the vaccinations. They will be getting the myxi and rhd and vrhd2 but what ages is best to get them done? I know vaccinations need to be 2 weeks apart also.

Thank you 😊

Hi kelly :)

The Myxo/RHD1 vaccination can be done at 5 weeks of age, and you don't have to repeat that until a year later.

This will sound a little complicated, but it's all to do with the fact that the Novibac Myxo vaccine covers RHD1 for a year.

In general the advice is that if Filavac (RHD2) is done before 10 weeks, a rabbit will need vaccinating again after 10 weeks.

This is because their immune systems are immature and they do not mount a good enough response to the vaccine. However, they are fully protected for RHD2 but not RHD1. That’s why Filavie couldn’t have a licence for the vaccine before 10 weeks.

If they have their Novibac at 5 weeks (which they can) then they are protected against RHD1. So there wouldn’t be a problem vaccinating with Filavac and leaving it a year until the next booster. However, giving it under 10 weeks of age is ‘off licence’ and you will need to discuss this with your vet.

So the short answer is that the Filavac can be given now, then the Myxo two weeks later, and that's what I would do.
However, do discuss with your vet!

If you would like to see the data supporting what I've just said above, please PM me :wave:

Back